Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina_Fried View Post
    This post may be slightly spoilerish. Just sayin...

Overall, well, I've seen worse. I am quite happy that they ditched the typical nuclear family right off the top. Maybe that's a lesson they learned from Terra Nova.

But that doesn't mean the premise is not ridiculous. The end of the pilot implies that whatever shut down all the technology is still active. So how in the world did it not also kill every organism sophisticated enough to have a nervous system then? You know, the parts of our bodies that are used to transmit electrical impulses? Also, what about non-electrical technologies capable of doing useful work like windmills and water wheels. These are technologies that predated electricity for hundreds or even thousands of years. How about steam turbines? How about all those hydroelectric dams that didn't just fall apart.

Also, the asthma medication scene. Um, I have a hard time believing that the inhaler not only still has medication in it after 15 years, but also that the medication is still both safe and potent enough to be useful.

The only reason I picked up on any of this is because it was the only way I could stay interested in the pilot. I just couldn't find that "why should I care?" thing that hooks me on the series. The pilot was all over the place. They should have spent an entire SEASON carefully worldbuilding while introducing the plot points (the evil militia, the fact that there is a "cure" for whatever shut the technology down, finding the brother of the main guy, etc) that they blew right in the pilot. I feel like I don't even need to bother watching the rest of the series because given that this is a network show, I probably have a pretty good idea of where things are going to go from here because networks don't take risks.

My contribution to the deadpool: Terra Nova got 11 episodes before Fox canned it. NBC will give Revolution no more than 6 episodes before using it as filler fodder when the sports season starts up again. It *might* get the chance to film the entire season, but I doubt the network will air it all.
    The family will be showing up in flashbacks.

Finally watched it. It's not the worst thing I've seen but I find the overall premise somewhat boring. If you're going to have a show about civilization in ruins then you should throw in zombies, aliens, and/or killer robots.
    "Honest Abe's a 'mo!" - Hank Venture from the Venture Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    I didn't see a thread for the discussion of NBC's Revolution from J.J. Abrams and Jon Favreau and so I decided to start one.

I don't really want to give any spoilers and so I won't disclose what took place in the pilot but I really think that the series is off to a good start as the ending of the pilot episode definitely has me psyched to see what happens in the next episode.

All I can say is that the pilot episode was absolutely fantastic'! It was truly stunning, sobering and captivating. J.J. Abrams has crafted something that is truly intriguing and very thought provoking unlike most of the mudwater that is airing on TV today. Revolution feels very 'unique' and it's got that same 'mysterious' mystique that made Lost such an instant classic but what I like even better about Revolution is that Abrams has delivered it in such a way that the whole family can watch and appreciate this show and enjoy it which wasn't the case with Lost. Lost become kind of boring as the overarching mystery kept getting drawn out and the fillers alienated both adults and youth with pure frustration. This show has something for everyone, it feels very Star Wars-ish and it also has the swashbuckling qualities of Pirates of the Caribbean (evidenced by the awesome sword fight) along with witty humor which helps to bring a nice balance between the more somber aspects of the show. Plus, a lot of things take you by pure surprise like the 'Monroe' revelation toward the end of the pilot episode.
    The basic premise ( No electical current) kills everything on earth and there are millions of folks that would have diesels and steam power running in very short order.

I tried to watch the first episode, But the utter and complete idiocy of the premise gave me a frustration headache.

If I hear anyone call this monumental example of ignorance science fiction I might just puke

Was anyone involved in the production that didn't fail every science class from chemistry and biology to basic science in every grade after first grade?
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    This is a fantasy? Where did you get this from?
    It definitely is not anything you can call science fiction. It magic so that makes in fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    It's way to early for people to start bashing up the show. The haters need to give Revolution some more time to develop and flush out back stories.
    Are they going to change the basic premise? If not then It will remain idiotic

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Finally watched it. It's not the worst thing I've seen but I find the overall premise somewhat boring. If you're going to have a show about civilization in ruins then you should throw in zombies, aliens, and/or killer robots.
    I sort of actually agree with this.

I think the weakest part of the show so far has been the absence of a really compelling antagonist. Unlike the aliens in Falling Skies (another show that uses the "post-apocalypse = pre-technological" setup), whoever's responsible for the blackout doesn't appear to be an known/upfront/active player in the show (at least not yet) that the protagonists can face off with. In their absence, what we're left with is essentially a Civil War-era frontier story with abandoned cars and vine-covered skyscrapers as a backdrop (but without the foundation of all the social/political/moral issues that can make Civil War-era frontier stories interesting). There were signs in the second episode that they may be moving towards addressing the issue of who's behind the blackout, but given the track record of the creators, I'd expect it to be a very slow measured reveal. Problem is, I don't think that the rest of what's going on in the show is engaging enough to hold viewer interest until the real big bad steps forward. In shows like Fringe and Falling Skies we at least get to see the good guys fight cool monsters and blow shit up while we're waiting for them to peel back the layers of the big conspiracy at the center of the show. Here we get to see people walk through the woods, sword fight, and shoot arrows at each other.

Speaking of which, given the obvious limitations on travel, where does one go in the Chicagoland area to get his hands on so many swords, crossbows, and Civil War rifles?

Does anyone think this show feels like propaganda for the NRA? The whole established government trying to take away guns from the citizenry and the rebels being represented by the American flag just seemed a little heavy handed. I'm not anti-gun myself but I'm wondering if the show is going to get all preachy about the right to keep and bear arms.
    Last edited by maczero; 09-25-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    "Honest Abe's a 'mo!" - Hank Venture from the Venture Bros.

Watched the second episode, it didn't completely turn me off, but I can't say that it grabbed me either. I can't see myself making this show a must watch on Monday night, it's just not good enough, and honestly I don't know if it ever will.

The only person who stood out in this episode was C. Thomas Howell and he was dead in the first 10 minutes. Everyone else was just flat."Can I Get A Hot Tub Guy" (can't remember his name) standing up to Giancarlo Esposito was weak. Charlie's (or as I call her Pretty Eyes, Pouty Lips) story about taking care of her brother had no emotion. "English Chick's" story about her iPhone and her kids' pictures made no impression on me, I was more interested in what kind of cover she had on her phone.

I'll keep watching it as long as I can watch it at my leisure online.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post

Speaking of which, given the obvious limitations on travel, where does one go in the Chicagoland area to get his hands on so many swords, crossbows, and Civil War rifles?
    Those things are quite easy to make without electricity, People can still make things even the idiots that someone seemed to have survived.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    It definitely is not anything you can call science fiction. It magic so that makes in fantasy
    Where is the magic coming from? There has been an explanation for something to be labeled, so you cant classify it either way.

Anyway, the main character chick this episode had some really bad development. She was acting like she didnt grow up in that world being all surprised at how stuff is around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Anyway, the main character chick this episode had some really bad development. She was acting like she didnt grow up in that world being all surprised at how stuff is around.
    Well to be fair she did grow up rather sheltered as shown by her rant against her dad last ep. Still her self righteousness is going to get annoying if they don't check that.
    Yeah I give up. They would need like a bajillion UNs to take it out. And they would all have to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Well to be fair she did grow up rather sheltered as shown by her rant against her dad last ep. Still her self righteousness is going to get annoying if they don't check that.
    That rant didnt come off to me as being sheltered but normal parent reminding kids not to forget how it really is out there. And given that she remembers that attempt at her life it really looks like she spent most of the life in a really messed up situation.

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    The basic premise ( No electical current) kills everything on earth and there are millions of folks that would have diesels and steam power running in very short order.
    If computers are still running, how do you know that there's no more electrical currents and it's not something else?
    Until we know what caused this, how can we say that basic science isn't being used? I certainly don't know what happened.
    Did you find out?

Quote Originally Posted by Treqqor View Post
    If computers are still running, how do you know that there's no more electrical currents and it's not something else?
    Until we know what caused this, how can we say that basic science isn't being used? I certainly don't know what happened.
    Did you find out?
    I think the fact that not even batteries work. A flashlight is very basic: battery, wires, bulb. This 'magic field' is preventing the electrons flowing from the battery through the wire to the bulb and back. And a generator is a loop of copper wire moving through a magnetic field to create an electric current.

The fact that the school teacher used her little medallion to neutralize the field shows that it can be counteracted but she (and her mysterious group) refuses to do so to re-start the world.
    In search of Claire...or Libby Hoeler :D

"What is illness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again, and woe to the wicked.
    "

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Why do we even care about the science?
    We have sword fighting and a "magic" macguffin...

Who cares if it follows physics or not. Star Wars and Harry Potter have done just fine not worrying about this.
    So why are some people having such a difficult time with this and using "Science" in a TV show as an excuse to not watch it? Especially on a comic book forum.