Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default J.J. Abrams' Revolution

I didn't see a thread for the discussion of NBC's Revolution from J.J. Abrams and Jon Favreau and so I decided to start one.

I don't really want to give any spoilers and so I won't disclose what took place in the pilot but I really think that the series is off to a good start as the ending of the pilot episode definitely has me psyched to see what happens in the next episode.

All I can say is that the pilot episode was absolutely fantastic'! It was truly stunning, sobering and captivating. J.J. Abrams has crafted something that is truly intriguing and very thought provoking unlike most of the mudwater that is airing on TV today. Revolution feels very 'unique' and it's got that same 'mysterious' mystique that made Lost such an instant classic but what I like even better about Revolution is that Abrams has delivered it in such a way that the whole family can watch and appreciate this show and enjoy it which wasn't the case with Lost. Lost become kind of boring as the overarching mystery kept getting drawn out and the fillers alienated both adults and youth with pure frustration. This show has something for everyone, it feels very Star Wars-ish and it also has the swashbuckling qualities of Pirates of the Caribbean (evidenced by the awesome sword fight) along with witty humor which helps to bring a nice balance between the more somber aspects of the show. Plus, a lot of things take you by pure surprise like the 'Monroe' revelation toward the end of the pilot episode.

Don't want to rain on your parade . . . but I was looking forward to this and wound up being severely disappointed in the pilot.

It seemed to me to have a very tired Jericho/Terra Nova/FlashForward vibe to it . . . and was pretty pedestrianly shot. Even Giancarlo Esposito seemed to be sleepwalking through it compared to most of his other work.

Just nothing to get excited about, for me.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell's Brigade's Avatar

Is it explained why there are no guns? I mean, in all the promo's I've not seen any guns.

Which seems odd, if all that happened what a global EMP of som kind.
    Black Knight of SO
    Co-COTM for Feb 2006
    The Midnight Rider.
    Owner of SO's W/I Shop.
    Bearer of the Rumbles Matrix of Leadership

Wins on CBR

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell's Brigade View Post
    Is it explained why there are no guns? I mean, in all the promo's I've not seen any guns.

Which seems odd, if all that happened what a global EMP of som kind.
    Most people have guns, though it is a big criminal offense to own one. But everyone part of the militia definitely had one.

I really liked the show. Never watched "Jericho", so I can't jump on that bandwagon, but I did watch this and I really enjoyed it. There aren't any annoying characters (I was worried about the lead female) which is a definite plus and there's more than enough in the pilot to keep me wanting to come back for more.

yeah, i don't want to be negative either but i found it extremely bad and it was a chore to watch it all the way through. i hope for your sake that it does well and keeps you entertained but i won't be watching it in the future.

This from another thread discussing new shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Are those the Twin Towers in the left?

Ok another big thing that stood out was some of the Militia dudes were using muskets..... WTH is that all about? I mean, where did they even find all these functioning muskets in the first place? The evil Militia Insurance Adjuster was using a Desert Eagle, i think, and we saw some machine guns in the camp guards, so why the hell are they using these tremendously inefficient weapons? This takes place in Amerikuh! There should be LOADS of weapons.

And i'm not even going to bother with the science or explanation of what is happening because JJ Abrams is involve that usually means silliness.
    The Pilot gets aired on Monday and hopefully it's a two hour pilot because this first hour wasnt all that good. It seemed extremely rushed to get the group together.

And to continue with the Jericho comparison here is a silly one; In Revolution a black lady is shown using a comp after IT HAPPENED while in Jericho it was a black dude! CONNECTIONS!

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

I have no problems having a million questions at this point. It was the first episode of creating a whole new world. To expect an hour of pure exposition (which is what some people seem to want these days) is absurd. We have the basics and the broad strokes. We get the details as time goes on.

Is this going to go the B5/DS9 route again with Jericho/Revolution?
    Genre fans can be quite tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Treqqor View Post
    I have no problems having a million questions at this point. It was the first episode of creating a whole new world. To expect an hour of pure exposition (which is what some people seem to want these days) is absurd. We have the basics and the broad strokes. We get the details as time goes on.

Is this going to go the B5/DS9 route again with Jericho/Revolution?
    Genre fans can be quite tiring.
    Ditto. I definitely agree with you because this is beginning to become really annoying. I don't watch shows or movies for the sake of comparing it to something else. Once again haters gonna hate. I watch movies and television shows for entertainment and hopefully some inspiration and not to sit there and analyze and complain about everything because it is redundant or similar to something I have already seen. At first, I took an interest in Revolution because the initial trailers reminded me of The Hunger Games but upon watching the pilot episode I realized that it is indeed very different from The Hunger Games and I like Revolution for what it is and I'm going to judge it from either a Jericho nor a Hunger Games perspective. I'm watching Revolution for what it is and I plan to enjoy it.

Many people it seems have lost sight of fun or enjoyment and that is a tragedy.

I thought it was a fine setup for a series....I watched it last week on HULU, they premiered it early.

Seems like it could be something I enjoy watching.

I try to not judge a show strictly on the pilot, as the pilot is intended to be a "rough draft" of what the show is meant to be

Im excited for it...Ill give it a good 3-4 episdoes before I decide if I like it
    Support your local roller derby league

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I already saw the pilot on OnDemand. It was decent enough to me to come back for a second episode. But the minute the show starts being another Abrams televised masturbatory exercise I'm gone.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I already saw the pilot on OnDemand. It was decent enough to me to come back for a second episode. But the minute the show starts being another Abrams televised masturbatory exercise I'm gone.
    what does this even mean?
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    what does this even mean?
    LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I can't figure out what he meant by that at all. *scratches head with a look of confusion upon face*

Saw the pilot on HULU and wondered why the backslide from the 21st century all the way back to the 18th century?

Muzzle loaders instead of cartidges for rifles? Six-shooters and Winchester rifles were made without electricity, why go back to colonial shooters?

What happened to steam power? Before the Electrical Age there was the Steam Age. The world use to run on steam. Hope they explain how the 'magic wave' prevents batteries from working. Will keep around for a few episodes longer at least.
    In search of Claire...or Libby Hoeler :D

"What is illness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again, and woe to the wicked.
    "

Well, that first episode wasn't very good. It had a good opening, but the rest of the show seemed all over the place when it came to quality, and it was pretty badly paced. Still, I'm kind of interested in seeing another episode.

Anyone know how much the pilot cost to make? Because the actual look of the show seemed kind of bad.