Thread: The Goon, #42

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default The Goon, #42

The Zombie Priest, now going by the name Mr. Corpus, has reemerged and given the Goon a dire warning. But will the Goon listen or will he just go for the punching? My vote's on the punching.

Full article here.

Yet another week coming up where I can safely say "Eric Powell...take my money!"
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

This comic has always been good, but the last three I've read (36 to 39... still subscribing, but read my comics in massive arrears, really busy recently) have been sensationally good. Probably best current series I read. (Mind you, only read a dozen current series nowadays). It tells compelling stories in a genuinely funny way, that is a superb "trick".

This is a comic I'd advise anybody to try... starting from any issue... Eric Powell has blessedly ignored the idea of writing for trade. He makes darn sure each and very comic is fun on its own.

The GOON is my favorite read. I'm trade-waiting though, but man its good stuff (tempted to grab this issue just for the cover though. AWESOME!). I've heard some say they wish Powell would stick with the "mad magazine-esque" low-brow humour more but I'm the opposite. My favorite GOON stories are the period pieces like the Fish Canners story or the more recent issue about the seamstress sweat shop that burns down and leads to a women's suffrage revolt as well as the "mythology" stories following Labrazio, The Priest and Buzzard. That stuff is pure gold! I enjoy the occasional sparkly vampire joke issue or a bit of scatalogical humour but I don't want the weight of the book to shift in that direction at all...
    Last edited by Zevious Zoquis; 09-15-2012 at 07:29 AM.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

I'm sort of new to the Goon; got the first early issues, and for whatever reasons, dropped it. Now buying trades sort of willynilliy and enjoying them hugely, while picking up monthly issues for the past several months. It was the seamstress sweatshop issue that re-engaged me, and subsequent issues which've sent me back to the stacks, happening first, as it happens, upon the "mythology" issues Zevious refers to. Have now 1,2,3,4,5,6, & 9, bought, as I say, NOT in any order at all (surprised to discover I now have 1-6 as a sequence! guess I'll get 7 and 13 next...). Any especially recommended? thanks!
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

I've had The Goon on my pull-list for 8 years, ever since issue #5! It's always been there. I've always read it. But there have been times I've almost forgotten about it. Times when it went on hiatus for a long time. Times Powell seemed more concerned with other projects and The Goon felt a bit on the mediocre side. Times Powell disappointingly wrote a mediocre Godzilla comic (and I love Godzilla!).

And then an announcement that its becoming a monthly series permanently! I wondered if the series would suffer, become more rushed, ect. But instead The Goon is stronger than it's been in ages! The horror is more horrific, the comedy funnier, the art better - everything just feels sharper. It seems Powell may have shared some of my concerns about his book and has doubled down on his little funny book.

The prohibition issue is one of the best in the series' run.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zevious Zoquis View Post
    The GOON is my favorite read. I'm trade-waiting though, but man its good stuff (tempted to grab this issue just for the cover though. AWESOME!). I've heard some say they wish Powell would stick with the "mad magazine-esque" low-brow humour more but I'm the opposite. My favorite GOON stories are the period pieces like the Fish Canners story or the more recent issue about the seamstress sweat shop that burns down and leads to a women's suffrage revolt as well as the "mythology" stories following Labrazio, The Priest and Buzzard. That stuff is pure gold! I enjoy the occasional sparkly vampire joke issue or a bit of scatalogical humour but I don't want the weight of the book to shift in that direction at all...
    I read trade waiting, too. It is by far my favorite comic. The combination of the hysterical writing and amazing art is not matched.

I like all Goon stories by my least favorite was the Chinatown saga. The Goon being morose and the story not having much levity for several issues on end was not as appealing to me. But I agree on the Fish Canners story and the Women's Suffrage revolt. Those are perfect balances of humor, tragic horror, and the just carnage of the bad guy that follows.

I feel like cheating and buying issues online but I read it with my 12 year old son (yeah, it can be adult at times but he is not driven to violence, drinking, or picking up cheap women yet) and wouldn't not want to share the stories and talk about them as we get the trade. That is a great time of father/son hysteria in our house as we laugh at Frankie and remind each other "happiness is for pu#$@&ies."
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel