Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Shelf Life - Sep 6, 2012

After Ron Marz and other creators teamed up to take down a misogynistic cyber bully last week, Ron takes a look at the nature of fandom, trolling, and strategies to deal with crazy.

Full article here.

Excellent post, Ron. I wasn't following this while it was happening, but I'm curious how anyone can defend the things he was saying as free speech. There is a limit to that right...

Personally I haven't read anything he posted. I've heard he was making physical threats towards people if that's the case then by all means the authorities need to be contacted....if not then I don't think someone behaving like an asshole is a police matter. I think twitter should have removed what he was saying and deleted his account.

Even though I disagree with you though no this matter. It was a great article and I enjoyed reading your persective.
    http://blanchett.t15.org
    Please pledge only 5 days left for Kirsten Vangness' hilarious Kill Me Deadly movie!http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lm-noir-comedy

I read this article and I agree with the majority of it but really, it is freedom of speech. The constitution defends this liberty for all Americans. When people start censoring and making the police involved I think it is a tad overkill. I think what he wrote is the definition of misogyny however he has every right to speak misogynistic. I think this is a clear case of infantalizing a troll.

The only good GL is Alan Scott, all the rest are pretenders; fire 'em all!

Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto

A great article. A word of thanks to Ron Marz and another word of thanks to Mark Millar for helping take care of this situation. Awesome work!!!

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

The problem with the freedom of speech argument is that there are and always have been limits to it. Freedom of speech is the right to express unpopular views, not the right to verbally attack and abuse people.

There's a line, he appears to have crossed it, and therefore the only reasonable response was to escalate it in the way that was done. Freedom of speech is the right to say that one does not like creators because of their race or gender. It is not the "right" to advocate that they be gang-raped; that "right" does not exist.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    Personally I haven't read anything he posted. I've heard he was making physical threats towards people if that's the case then by all means the authorities need to be contacted....if not then I don't think someone behaving like an asshole is a police matter. I think twitter should have removed what he was saying and deleted his account.

Even though I disagree with you though no this matter. It was a great article and I enjoyed reading your persective.
    Quote Originally Posted by BizzleTheBear View Post
    I read this article and I agree with the majority of it but really, it is freedom of speech. The constitution defends this liberty for all Americans. When people start censoring and making the police involved I think it is a tad overkill. I think what he wrote is the definition of misogyny however he has every right to speak misogynistic. I think this is a clear case of infantalizing a troll.
    I think you guys both need to read the article Ron linked to here. If someone were to follow you around whenever you were in a public place and constantly throw obscene insults at you, or even if he were to wait in places he knew you'd go to and do the same, that would constitute harassment and wouldn't be covered by the freedoms of speech and movement. That's effectively what this guy was doing.

And, tbh, it's weird that when a woman is being harassed, one of the most common responses is to defend the harasser's freedom to do the harassing. And often this defence is prefaced with, "I haven't found much out about this, but...", or the like.

I'm ashamed I didn't know about this until Ron made it "public". Very glad indeed to see this account shut down, and hopefully the poster will have to account for his threats, attacks, and abuse.

Thank you for this, Ron. You hit on a lot of important points regarding the internet that need to be discussed.
    "...a little revolution every now and then isn't just a good thing, sometimes it may be the only way forward."
    http://www.wyldcardstudio.com and http://www.wyldcardstudio.com/uncanny

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid View Post
    I think you guys both need to read the article Ron linked to here. If someone were to follow you around whenever you were in a public place and constantly throw obscene insults at you, or even if he were to wait in places he knew you'd go to and do the same, that would constitute harassment and wouldn't be covered by the freedoms of speech and movement. That's effectively what this guy was doing.

And, tbh, it's weird that when a woman is being harassed, one of the most common responses is to defend the harasser's freedom to do the harassing. And often this defence is prefaced with, "I haven't found much out about this, but...", or the like.
    Wow just read that there. That's stalking not trolling, totally different. Why would she have to reveal her address to him to file charges? That I didn't get.
    http://blanchett.t15.org
    Please pledge only 5 days left for Kirsten Vangness' hilarious Kill Me Deadly movie!http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lm-noir-comedy

51, huh? You'd think with age would come wisdom, but this is the problem with having a fanbase made up of about maybe 3-5% entitled man-child types.

And to those thinking rights are being infringed? They aren't. You have the right to say what you want to a girl on the street, but when you follow her and insist on saying it, and then start calling her home or place of work, you're going to get a visit from the cops. Try using the free speech defense then. This was an internet version of that same scenario.

Great post Ron! I really think that anyone who was actually coming to the defense of the troll or were asking you to ignore him rather than take action are probably trolls themselves, or they can at least see themselves spewing the same type of hate.

you are well intentioned but have no idea what "freedom of speech" means.

That's not "trolling". Trolling is going into a Marvel website and telling everyone how Marvel sucks and DC rules. It's at worst, frustrating but still nonthreatening.
    Stalking, harassing and threatening someone (women in this case with threats of rape) on the internet for YEARS is disturbed criminal behavior.

Let's call it what it actually is and treat it with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not toss it under some cute internet term for being a jackass.