Page 125 of 161 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2401
    Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    Why is everybody slamming Shanahan? Didn't he get the okay from Dr. James Andrews (he said at his press conference that Andrews gave permission)? Didn't fans give Jay Cutler a rash of sh*t for not playing in the playoffs and these same fans want RGIII protected? I think some people just like to piss and moan.
    Cutler got crap for taking himself out of the game and then for standing around on the sidelines looking bored and disinterested while his team got beaten. He wouldn't have gotten the same reaction if Lovie Smith had taken him out.

And this whole "doctor's note" argument is off-base. There's a difference between being medically cleared to get on the field and being physically able to perform at a high enough level to get the job done. The doctor can only rule on the former. Decisions on the latter are ultimately up to the coach.
    Last edited by kalorama; 01-09-2013 at 10:12 AM.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    Robert Griffin got surgery this morning - reconstruction - 6-8 months recovery time
    In other words it wasn't worth it to listen to RGIII and not have the team doctor check him over. He will be out til camp. Which slows his progress moving away from this hybrid offense and more injury risks to him.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    The problem is that it seems Jones believes he never needs to give up being the GM.
    Hey I don't have a problem with that. It means the Cowboys will be shit ...so I have to laugh. He will blame every coach and player beyond himself .

Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    Why is everybody slamming Shanahan? Didn't he get the okay from Dr. James Andrews (he said at his press conference that Andrews gave permission)? Didn't fans give Jay Cutler a rash of sh*t for not playing in the playoffs and these same fans want RGIII protected? I think some people just like to piss and moan.
    Andrews approved him to return to regular season action after the original deal in December. But never looked at him during the game where he clearly was hurt and both took RGIII's word he was ok. But as people have posted...he clearly was hobbling around and couldn't play. It was just a dumb as shit decision to not have a team doctor look at him during the half and go with Cousin's. Its why Shanahan is getting slammed.

For the record I think Shanahan is over-rated as a coach. Redskins fans should have always known this was a distinct possibility with RGIII, he had the same injury in college, and the type of offense that the Redskins were using is going to expose the QB to even more danger.
    Which is why it makes it more dumb really and what people ignore. Believing the heat on Shanahan isn't warranted . The idea was RGIII would get an entire off season to work and grow in the full west coast system Shanahan runs. That was the goal and move from the Baylor hybrid they are running. Instead by going with him the rest of the half they now have to put that off and he can't learn more from the regular system due to not being ready to return til the summer. It throws his development way off. Which will continue to expose him to more danger.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Cutler got crap for taking himself out of the game and then for standing around on the sidelines looking bored and disinterested while his team got beaten. He wouldn't have gotten the same reaction if Lovie Smith had taken him out.

And this whole "doctor's note" argument is ridiculous. There's a difference between being medically cleared to get on the field and being physically able to perform at a high enough level to get the job done. The doctor can only rule on the former. Decisions on the latter are ultimately up to the coach.
    Andrews done came out and admitted he never looked at RGIII at the half of the game. It fell to Shanahan to not agree with RGIII and pull him to the side... "He's checking you...NOW."
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Andrews done came out and admitted he never looked at RGIII at the half of the game.
    I know that. I'm saying that, in general, even if the doctor does clear a player to get back on the field, that doesn't remove the coach's decision-making power from the equation. It's always the coach's job to evaluate a player's performance and determine whether letting him continue to play is in the best interests of the team, regardless of what the doctor says.

Meanwhile, back in the Batcave, Batman discovers clues that there are NFL playoff games this weekend . . .

"Holy football, Batman!"

First of all, there's little Andrews could have done on the sidelines regardless. He would have flexed his leg, asked if it hurts here when I touch it, etc. And RGIII would've answered all those questions "correctly". It's not like they have an MRI available on the sidelines.

Secondly, I don't understand why everyone here is so confident that a backup rookie QB could have entered a 14-13 game at the half and held on to victory . . . In the 3rd qtr RGIII was 4-6 on passing plays. It's simply not as obvious as you guys make it seem in hindsight.

Years ago, people might have asked what makes you think a rookie should start an entire season.

It makes more sense to use your highly regarded rookie backup than it does to risk injuring your star rookie beyond repair.

Let's say they didn't have this folk hero, Kirk Cousins, and Rex Grossman was the backup QB. Would y'all still say Shanahan should've benched RGIII coming out of halftime?

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    First of all, there's little Andrews could have done on the sidelines regardless. He would have flexed his leg, asked if it hurts here when I touch it, etc. And RGIII would've answered all those questions "correctly". It's not like they have an MRI available on the sidelines.

Secondly, I don't understand why everyone here is so confident that a backup rookie QB could have entered a 14-13 game at the half and held on to victory . . . In the 3rd qtr RGIII was 4-6 on passing plays. It's simply not as obvious as you guys make it seem in hindsight.
    First, that's why people are aren't arguing that. They're saying that Andrews didn't give Shanahan the greenlight.

And second, people also aren't saying that inserting Cousins would've guaranteed victory. Some of us aren't even saying that it improves the Redskins shot. But it dramatically decreases the odds of RGIII re-injuring his knee. It was pretty obvious to everybody that RGIII was limping badly. And while Cousins didn't look that great for his short showing, he didn't have much time to turn it around either. Games and players can be streaky and he'd shown that he could do it in the past. In 2007, Adrian Peterson had an uninspiring 13 carries for 43 yards. He finished the game breaking the all-time single game rushing record with 296 yards.

Let's say they didn't have this folk hero, Kirk Cousins, and Rex Grossman was the backup QB. Would y'all still say Shanahan should've benched RGIII coming out of halftime?
    Let's say that instead of an injured leg, it was outright broken. Would you still say that he should've stayed in? Or what if instead of Rex Grossman, they had Caleb Hanie? Would you still be in favor of him staying in?

They drafted Cousins so that they wouldn't be in the situation of playing Grossman (or to minimize the odds of it). And yeah, I would. Winning the game doesn't do any good if he's not going to be able to play the next week and beyond. If you don't trust Grossman, Hanie or Cousins against the Seahawks, are you going to trust him against the rest of the playoff teams?

Sure, but only if he could ride his unicorn since we're bringing up pure hypothetical instead of what was actually possible. Here's the long and short of it, after the first two scoring drives here's every subsequent drive:
    13, punt
    3, interception
    23, punt
    4, punt
    17, punt
    -19, lost fumble

the second to the last one was the first minute thirty of the fourth and included his limping jog to the sideline, and that's the last drive you could defend keeping him in imo. Not only was the next drive the big sack followed by him collapsing just going to pick up a bad snap but for 5 straight drives you'd been unable to get to midfield. At that point its time to do something since the same thing is obviously not working, and unless I misremember the game by that point Seattle had scored and you NEEDED a drive.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

They went back to the locker room at the half. They could have likely took their 30 minutes and checked him. And remember...people posted that Cousins started warming up because it was likely had he checked him...he would have went in.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Years ago, people might have asked what makes you think a rookie should start an entire season.

It makes more sense to use your highly regarded rookie backup than it does to risk injuring your star rookie beyond repair.
    Yep basically true. They have a lot more invested in RGIII. A shit ton more than Cousins .

Lets examine this since many keep breezing over it.

1.) Do I have much invested in Rex Grossman ? He's a backup QB at best and I don't have the entire future of the franchise resting on him or the draft picks I sent to get him.

2.) RGIII is my QB of the future. Not just now...not just this season and playoff game. I want him to go to more playoff games. But I know if he's beaten up , has more bad knee injuries...its not gonna happen. So I do the logical thing and hope my defense can hold and hope Grossman can make a few plays. Even if I lose that 1 playoff game , I know my future star QB is gonna walk away from it healthy and be ready in the off-season .

3.) My star QB has things left to learn. He can't run the system I have in place which is a hybrid Baylor offense. He's getting the shit beat out of him and I got lucky he only missed 1 game that season. But he is limping. I need my franchise QB to learn my offensive system I run fully so he won't be in that offense next year. That cuts down on his risks running the ball and saves him long term.

Some quiet confidence that a Broncos victory will occur this weekend by chillin' underneath the Broncos Christmas tree standing in my place (it doesn't come down until their season ends).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chillin' on a Broncos win.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	106965

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post
    And second, people also aren't saying that inserting Cousins would've guaranteed victory. Some of us aren't even saying that it improves the Redskins shot. But it dramatically decreases the odds of RGIII re-injuring his knee. It was pretty obvious to everybody that RGIII was limping badly. And while Cousins didn't look that great for his short showing, he didn't have much time to turn it around either. Games and players can be streaky and he'd shown that he could do it in the past. In 2007, Adrian Peterson had an uninspiring 13 carries for 43 yards. He finished the game breaking the all-time single game rushing record with 296 yards.
    True.
    But the Redskins also had the lead heading into the 4th quarter. If Shanahan replaced RGIII & Kirk Cousins throws a pick that leads to a Seattle score, then everybody here questioning him is still calling him an idiot.

Especially if after the game Griffin says he told coach he could play.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post
    If you don't trust Grossman, Hanie or Cousins against the Seahawks, are you going to trust him against the rest of the playoff teams?
    That's an interesting point. But ultimately the hope is that with another week RGIII will be able to go again, and you just have to get there first.