Page 83 of 161 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2401
  1. #1231
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I agree...but the unwashed masses don't want to hear about "defensive schemes", they want big throws, offense, and lots of points
    I shower daily, so I can't speak for the "unwashed masses." Personally I love seeing teams play defense. I'd like to see the Skins play more of it more consistently.
    Last edited by kalorama; 12-11-2012 at 01:54 PM.

  2. #1232
    Observer Vibranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    19,266

    Default

    and Paul Tagliabue vacated the 4 players on the Saints involved in the BountyGates scandal

    par for the f'ng course for a guy who as commissioner didn't do shit about player discipline, which is why Goodell has had to institute and enforce the personal conduct policy
    Support your local roller derby league

  3. #1233
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,881

    Default

    I'm okay with what Tagliabue did. He's basically saying that, while the players were at fault, this thing is ultimately the fault/responsibility of the coaches and management and that giving the players the same penalty as the guys in charge is disporortionate punishment. And I agree with that, because the way the NFL is structured, players don't really have the option of telling the coach "You're wrong and I'm not going to do what you say."

  4. #1234
    Observer Vibranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    19,266

    Default

    and Im fine with that part, he is laying it at the feet of the coaching staff

    but to completely absolve the players of any responsibility is no bueno
    Support your local roller derby league

  5. #1235
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,881

    Default

    He didn't absolve anyone. He stated pretty clearly that the players were involved in conduct detrimental to the league. But his job was only to determine whether the suspensions originally levied by Goodell were fair and should be allowed to stand. There were basically only two things he could do: let them stand as is or overturn them. And having decided (correctly) that Goodell came down too hard on the players in relationship to management, voiding the players' suspension was his only recourse. He didn't have the authority to levy new player penalties that he thought were more appropriate. Any additional penalties levied against the players have to come from Goodell.

    EIDT: Okay, I just reread the ESPN story on it and Tagliabue does mention that he considered instituting reduced penalties, so I guess he did have the authority. But he also gave a pretty reasonable explanation for why he didn't do it.
    Last edited by kalorama; 12-11-2012 at 09:28 PM.

  6. #1236
    Senior Member Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The North Island
    Posts
    2,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finfangfool View Post
    Unfortunately it sounds about right. You can get cheaper tickets, but it'll usually cost around at least $100 (before parking, food/drink, souvenirs, etc.). It's fun for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but I prefer to be at home in a comfortable, temperature controlled room with a big-screen and live-rewind/pause capabilities.
    Thanks FFF, getting tickets for Giants game, very excited!

  7. #1237
    Here we ..... go DennyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cape Coral, Florida
    Posts
    2,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Once And Forever View Post
    No. No he has not. This Colts team is massively different to the one that played last year. The most valuable employee in the Colts franchise this year was Ryan Griggson, not Andrew Luck.

    Now, it is fair to heap praise on Luck for how well he's played, and I'm continously flabbergasted at how he comes up big in high-pressure situations again and again, but this was not the same team that Curtis Painter and Dan Orslovsky "ran" last year, with the exception of a few notable names.

    When they make Most Valuable Employee an actual award please get back to me, until then, I can't take that part of your statement seriously. I'm looking at the Colts roster as I write this, and there are no less than 13 rookies on the roster, and that doesn't include the 3 on injured reserve. So maybe, in fact, you may be right that this roster is massively different than the one that played last year; however, that only goes to further my point.

  8. #1238
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere In....AMERICA!
    Posts
    50,349

    Default

    Everyone knew Taglibue wasn't gonna punish the players after Goodell's authority was deemed to be too much and its why it was upheld and handed to Taglibue. I think we all knew that the message was sent that the players won then and will continue to win at times. Paul Taglibue's hands were tied really. He couldn't give them a stiff punishment because it likely would have been upheld again and the process would repeat itself.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

    Sucks 200 character limit.

  9. #1239
    Shine On. The Once And Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis/Franklin, Indiana
    Posts
    12,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    When they make Most Valuable Employee an actual award please get back to me, until then, I can't take that part of your statement seriously. I'm looking at the Colts roster as I write this, and there are no less than 13 rookies on the roster, and that doesn't include the 3 on injured reserve. So maybe, in fact, you may be right that this roster is massively different than the one that played last year; however, that only goes to further my point.
    That Luck has had a massively positive influence on the development of the team? Of that there is no doubt, but that's been known and discussed since this summer. My issue was with the same team theory.

  10. #1240
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere In....AMERICA!
    Posts
    50,349

    Default

    The Cardinals put Kevin Kolb on IR after a setback happened with his recovery from his ribs he hut weeks ago. Kolb is expected to be released due to them owing him $11+ million this upcoming off season and the franchise not gonna pay it. Kolb will likely be attractive in free agency due to his numbers in the 4-2 start.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

    Sucks 200 character limit.

  11. #1241
    Observer Vibranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    19,266

    Default

    Drew Brees had some comments about the whole Bountygate decision and some pointed comments about the Commish

    way out of line IMO
    Support your local roller derby league

  12. #1242
    Senior Member finfangfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire, US
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    Man loves his team, and it obviously had an effect beyond what I would have thought possible. I figured with Brees slinging it they were good for at least 9 wins, and a 12 or 13 win season wouldn't have shocked me (and a lot of the "experts" I listen to/read felt the same way). Distractions and coaching apparently do play a larger part than we thought. I don't blame Brees for being upset, less out of line than a lot of things I've seen players say or twit.
    A Fool for the Foom

  13. #1243
    Observer Vibranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    19,266

    Default

    considering the players involved got a f'ng gift from that clown shoe Tagliabue, Brees should be grateful
    Support your local roller derby league

  14. #1244
    Too late Nick Soapdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hurricane-y FL
    Posts
    14,089

    Default

    The players may have been treated harshly by Gooden. I personally think that they were guilty, but never saw enough evidence to be "beyond a reasonable doubt". However, that isn't true with the coaches who admitted to their involvement.

    *Full disclosure. I'm a Vikes fan and I've always felt that the Saints were playing dirty against the Vikes in the championship game, but that doesn't mean that they were doing it for money. The chance to win a Super Bowl is a much bigger enticement. But halfway through the game, I was (almost) hoping that the Vikes would start cheap-shotting Brees. Fine, they might pick up a few personal fouls, but if it knocks him out of the game or limits his effectiveness. Which is an excellent examples of the hypocrisy of fans wanting safer play, but still cheering the big hits.
    Last edited by Nick Soapdish; 12-12-2012 at 09:20 PM.

  15. #1245
    Japan's #1 Psycho Girl JDogindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    3,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The Cardinals put Kevin Kolb on IR after a setback happened with his recovery from his ribs he hut weeks ago. Kolb is expected to be released due to them owing him $11+ million this upcoming off season and the franchise not gonna pay it. Kolb will likely be attractive in free agency due to his numbers in the 4-2 start.
    Is it wrong to question why Kevin Kolb was so desired in Philadelphia? They basically wanted him to be the future, but three years later, he is just a high-priced bust.

    Also, I'm glad Jacksonville put Blaine Gabbert out of his misery a month or so ago. His one goal was to not have a bad season, and he managed to play even worse than he did in his rookie year. He is not an NFL player at all.
    All-time favorite comment:
    Power of music? Wanna know why the original Presence bailed out of the DCU? These two are the reason:
    -Koyomi Mizuhara
    -Mimi Tachikawa
    SInging Karaoke. :D

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •