Page 76 of 161 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 2401
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    and Eric Dickerson claims he was never paid to go to SMU

he can claim all he wants, doesn't make it the truth
    If he wanted traded...he would have gotten traded. Honestly... the Lions would have taken some draft picks for Sanders who was 30/31 at that point and had over 18,000+ yards on his body. Because they got nothing in return. Sanders would have went to the Dolphins and played with Dan Marino and had a shot at a Super Bowl ring.

In all I gotta say...Sanders if he wanted could have forced a trade. Instead he didn't. He stayed retired for good. That to me speaks volumes...
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

I commend him for that decision as well, I always thought it made sense since the Lions were never really that good so why waste your time there?
    Support your local roller derby league

The problem with the Lions is that they almost always have a bunch of talent on the team and have potential. They just never realize that potential. IIRC, during Barry's run they had three Heisman trophy winners on the team at once!
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post
    Y'all, realize that all this Jets conjecture is going to be a moot point when they fire Rex in the off-season?
    But that's Rex's plan. Sabotage the season by not playing Tebow so he can get out of NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I do not recall EVER hearing that he wanted to be traded. He wanted to be on a better team, but he wanted that team to be the Lions.
    I heard that he wanted to be traded, but as far as I know, it was only rumor. It's too long ago to be sure.

Speaking of Lions, here's the perfect gift for the Lions fan in your life - a 2013 Lions calendar.

The calendar dodges the Madden Curse by putting Titus Young on the cover. In later months, fans get to see Jahvid Best actually in an uniform. Bonus features include the 2012 schedule to help fans remember this special season and information about the Lions' Super Bowl history.

Yes, this is a real product.
    Last edited by Nick Soapdish; 12-06-2012 at 10:26 PM.

**snort...chuckle** Heh. Ha. HA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

**wipes tear**

'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post

Speaking of Lions, here's the perfect gift for the Lions fan in your life - a 2013 Lions calendar.

The calendar dodges the Madden Curse by putting Titus Young on the cover. In later months, fans get to see Jahvid Best actually in an uniform. Bonus features include the 2012 schedule to help fans remember this special season and information about the Lions' Super Bowl history.

Yes, this is a real product.
    Titus Young ...the only jackass I know who would line up and wanna call his own routes in a game. And kept doing it !
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...s-in-san-diego

And it looks like the Chargers are gonna ax both Norv Turner and AJ Smith. Ending a run of epic under-achieving not seem in major sports in years.

The Chargers had it all and won the AFC West under Marty Shottenheimer and really was considered a favorite in the playoffs under Marty. Even though he had lost deep in the playoffs , Marty had rebuilt the franchise into a winning team. His one failure...was he didn't get along with AJ Smith. Who by this time felt he needed to prove he was better than Shottenheimer.

Dean Spano's likely realizes he doomed his franchise by letting Smith hitch the teams wagon to a coach who has a career losing record in the NFL. His best season was a 13-3 season sure. But the Chargers started falling slowly apart. The team would start each year losing games they should win . Then the players would have to rally to win. They did it the 1st 3 seasons of his coaching to win the AFC West. But by 2010 the team was losing players and unable to rally anymore and lost. Finishing 2nd in the division.

What did the Norv Turner run teach us ? That he was a better cooridinator than he is a Head Coach. Which is true for a lot of coaches in the NFL. They can't be over the total picture and fail. But the excel at being the guy who calls the offense or defense and get bragged up.

The Chargers will think back to 2007. Was it really a smart move to fire Marty ? Right now AJ Smith is likely realizing ...no it wasn't.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    The problem with the Lions is that they almost always have a bunch of talent on the team and have potential. They just never realize that potential. IIRC, during Barry's run they had three Heisman trophy winners on the team at once!
    Sanders did play with two Heisman winners (Andre Ware and Gino Torretta), but all three weren't on the team at the same time. Besides, winning the Heisman doesn't necessarily mean a guy can actually play in the NFL. I'd be surprised if half of the Heisman winners in the last 30 years had meaningful NFL careers. Andre Ware was an epic bust (which speaks to one of the Lions major issues during that timeframe, the cavalcade of ineptitude at the quarterback position before Stafford) and Torretta was a late round pick (6th or 7th I think) who, for all intents and purposes, never actually got off the bench for any of the teams he played for.

The Lions problem hasn't been failure to develop potential so much as it was poorly evaluating potential.
    Last edited by kalorama; 12-07-2012 at 10:57 AM.

South Park mocked the NFL months ago in a sarcastic parody where they made the league so safe it became utter shit to watch . You would think that this would never happen. Well folks as the league tries to get more safe...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...ating-kickoffs

Really guys ? The kickoff being moved has increased safety even more and there is more touch backs now. You don't have to do silly dumb crap like this now. What happens when a team has to punt the ball ?

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Sanders did play with two Heisman winners (Andre Ware and Gino Torretta), but all three weren't on the team at the same time. Besides, winning the Heisman doesn't necessarily mean a guy can actually play in the NFL. I'd be surprised if half of the Heisman winners in the last 30 years had meaningful NFL careers. Andre Ware was an epic bust (which speaks to one of the Lions major issues during that timeframe, the cavalcade of ineptitude at the quarterback position before Stafford) and Torretta was a late round pick (6th or 7th I think) who, for all intents and purposes, never actually got off the bench for any of the teams he played for.

The Lions problem hasn't been failure to develop potential so much as it was poorly evaluating potential.
    I don't think that either Ware or Toretta deserved the Heisman (based on vague recollections about Ware, but Toretta was definite; he was just the QB on the best team). And yeah, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Troy Smith, Eric Crouch and Jason White didn't exactly set the world on fire in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by sHayden View Post
    It is possible if Fisher can change things around in St. Louis. I am going to say that ship has sailed though. Bradford will have an ok career but he won't be memorialized.
    I thought Bradford would become a star,he was the total package coming into the NFL. I like how he played last sunday,coming from behind on SF
    Last edited by TShark82; 12-07-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    Tiger Shark:
    "That's what it is really about ! I *hate* heroes ! Everything I am today is because some idiot tried to be a hero... and wound up a cripple !

Senior Member FirestormTheNuclearMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...s-in-san-diego

And it looks like the Chargers are gonna ax both Norv Turner and AJ Smith. Ending a run of epic under-achieving not seem in major sports in years.

The Chargers had it all and won the AFC West under Marty Shottenheimer and really was considered a favorite in the playoffs under Marty. Even though he had lost deep in the playoffs , Marty had rebuilt the franchise into a winning team. His one failure...was he didn't get along with AJ Smith. Who by this time felt he needed to prove he was better than Shottenheimer.

Dean Spano's likely realizes he doomed his franchise by letting Smith hitch the teams wagon to a coach who has a career losing record in the NFL. His best season was a 13-3 season sure. But the Chargers started falling slowly apart. The team would start each year losing games they should win . Then the players would have to rally to win. They did it the 1st 3 seasons of his coaching to win the AFC West. But by 2010 the team was losing players and unable to rally anymore and lost. Finishing 2nd in the division.

What did the Norv Turner run teach us ? That he was a better cooridinator than he is a Head Coach. Which is true for a lot of coaches in the NFL. They can't be over the total picture and fail. But the excel at being the guy who calls the offense or defense and get bragged up.

The Chargers will think back to 2007. Was it really a smart move to fire Marty ? Right now AJ Smith is likely realizing ...no it wasn't.

Who is Spanos fooling they'll be evaluated, and other reports are speculation.

Not related to the Chargers do the Raiders want a Head Coach that will lead them to a Super Bowl in his first year of coaching?
    The Raiders need to draft a QB. Carson Palmer's best years were when he was playing for the Bengals.

We will go to 1960 on Heisman Trophy Winners who became busts...

1960 : Joe Bellino RB - Drafted by Patriots in 19th Rd ...only played 3 seasons in the NFL.
    1962 : Terry Baker QB - 1# pick of 1963 NFL Draft. Only played 3 seasons in NFL for the Rams.
    1964 : John Huarte QB - Picked in the 2nd rd of the AFL draft , Huarte became a journey man QB in the AFL/NFL for a decade.
    1966 : Steve Spurrier QB - Picked at #3 by the 49ers , Spurrier never pushed John Brodie at QB and was a backup and punter for a decade.
    1967 : Gary Beban QB - Beban was picked in the 2nd rd of the 1968 NFL draft. He only lasted 2 seasons for the Redskins.
    1971 : Pat Sullivan QB - Sullivan was drafted by the Falcons and never did much. Ended his career with the Redskins.
    1972 : Johnny Rodgers WR - Rodgers listened to his young agent and went to the CFL. He came back and only lasted 17 games before his knees went bad.
    1979 : Charles Wright RB - White was drafted in the 1st rd of the 1980 draft and was a bust for the Browns after 5 seasons. He did have a 1,000 yard season with the Rams.
    1989 : Andre Ware QB - Never did much for the Lions after being drafted #1.
    1991 : Desmond Howard WR - The Redskins traded 2 picks to move up to #4 and draft Howard. They had to expect more than a glorified PR/KR.
    1994 : Rashaan Salaam RB - A 1st rd pick of the Bears in 1995 , Salaam only lasted 3 seasons.
    1999 : Ron Dayne RB - Dayne had a decent rookie season after being drafted #1 by the Giants. But never could get his weight under control.
    2001- Eric Crouch QB - Drafted in the 3rd rd by the Rams , they tried him at WR. A freak accident ended his career with them after that season.
    2004 : Matt Leinart QB - Drafted in the 1st rd by the Cardinals in 2006 , Leinart became down as the partying dude with beer gongs.
    2007 - Tim Tebow QB - Was drafted in the 1st rd by the Broncos and only started as a last resort...traded away in 2012 and an after thought on Jets bench.

I only did this for picks in the 1st , 3 rounds basically. I also didn't count those who played a long while for teams...and had later success like a Testeverde or a Plunkett. I went with pure busts .

South Park mocked the NFL months ago in a sarcastic parody where they made the league so safe it became utter shit to watch . You would think that this would never happen. Well folks as the league tries to get more safe...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...ating-kickoffs

Really guys ? The kickoff being moved has increased safety even more and there is more touch backs now. You don't have to do silly dumb crap like this now. What happens when a team has to punt the ball ?
    Eh, I'm strongly opposed to removing it myself and think the compromise of moving the line forward this year was the sweet spot for keeping it and increasing player safety, but the more I think about it the more I grudgingly accept that I could live with it if they did this.

So long as there's none of this start automatically on the 20 nonesense
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Elder Member

We will go to 1960 on Heisman Trophy Winners who became busts...

1960 : Joe Bellino RB - Drafted by Patriots in 19th Rd ...only played 3 seasons in the NFL.
    1962 : Terry Baker QB - 1# pick of 1963 NFL Draft. Only played 3 seasons in NFL for the Rams.
    1964 : John Huarte QB - Picked in the 2nd rd of the AFL draft , Huarte became a journey man QB in the AFL/NFL for a decade.
    1966 : Steve Spurrier QB - Picked at #3 by the 49ers , Spurrier never pushed John Brodie at QB and was a backup and punter for a decade.
    1967 : Gary Beban QB - Beban was picked in the 2nd rd of the 1968 NFL draft. He only lasted 2 seasons for the Redskins.
    1971 : Pat Sullivan QB - Sullivan was drafted by the Falcons and never did much. Ended his career with the Redskins.
    1972 : Johnny Rodgers WR - Rodgers listened to his young agent and went to the CFL. He came back and only lasted 17 games before his knees went bad.
    1979 : Charles Wright RB - White was drafted in the 1st rd of the 1980 draft and was a bust for the Browns after 5 seasons. He did have a 1,000 yard season with the Rams.
    1989 : Andre Ware QB - Never did much for the Lions after being drafted #1.
    1991 : Desmond Howard WR - The Redskins traded 2 picks to move up to #4 and draft Howard. They had to expect more than a glorified PR/KR.
    1994 : Rashaan Salaam RB - A 1st rd pick of the Bears in 1995 , Salaam only lasted 3 seasons.
    1999 : Ron Dayne RB - Dayne had a decent rookie season after being drafted #1 by the Giants. But never could get his weight under control.
    2001- Eric Crouch QB - Drafted in the 3rd rd by the Rams , they tried him at WR. A freak accident ended his career with them after that season.
    2004 : Matt Leinart QB - Drafted in the 1st rd by the Cardinals in 2006 , Leinart became down as the partying dude with beer gongs.
    2007 - Tim Tebow QB - Was drafted in the 1st rd by the Broncos and only started as a last resort...traded away in 2012 and an after thought on Jets bench.

I only did this for picks in the 1st , 3 rounds basically. I also didn't count those who played a long while for teams...and had later success like a Testeverde or a Plunkett. I went with pure busts .
    That seems like a bit of a weighted/slanted review. Excluding guys taken after the 3rd round or who just hung around the league for a lot of years sort of skews the results and makes them look better than they are. The very fact that so many guys who win the Heisman end up as later round picks (or don't get drafted at all) is, in and of itself, an indictment of how little the award is indicative of NFL potential.