Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

I've heard good things about Valiant and so far this thread seems to support the positive reviews that I've been hearing.

I was more of a DC fan, particularly a Batman fan but the DCnU kind of drove me away.

It's gonna take me a while to read this entire thread but how self contained/easy to follow are Valiant stories? Also, any Valiant recommendations would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by blakey View Post
    I've heard good things about Valiant and so far this thread seems to support the positive reviews that I've been hearing.

I was more of a DC fan, particularly a Batman fan but the DCnU kind of drove me away.

It's gonna take me a while to read this entire thread but how self contained/easy to follow are Valiant stories? Also, any Valiant recommendations would be appreciated.
    If you're talking about the new titles, I'd recommend all of them.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

nu52 was as much a drop out point as drop in point, Marvel Now will be similar although not identical. The Big 2 either don't acknowledge that or don't see it. Perhaps they think the drop ins will offset the drop outs? I admit I still read some DC but it's only a few now, same for Marvel I'm planning on no more than 3 titles there the rest I'm trade waiting.

I highly recommend X-O Manowar. X-O contains strong elements of Iron Man mixed with Green Lantern(the space aspect) and Conan. The first arc should be out in a trade soon if it's not out already. I also highly recommend Bloodshot. Think Punisher with a healing factor(like Wolverine). Instead of trying to type out a summary might I suggest wikipedia for that.

Shadowman comes out next month and while I can't say for certain what this will be like the original is a favorite. The 7 page teaser we got a few weeks back looks very promising. Shadowman: think Dr.Voodoo +Dr.Strange as a starting point.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    nu52 was as much a drop out point as drop in point, Marvel Now will be similar although not identical. The Big 2 either don't acknowledge that or don't see it. Perhaps they think the drop ins will offset the drop outs? I admit I still read some DC but it's only a few now, same for Marvel I'm planning on no more than 3 titles there the rest I'm trade waiting.

I highly recommend X-O Manowar. X-O contains strong elements of Iron Man mixed with Green Lantern(the space aspect) and Conan. The first arc should be out in a trade soon if it's not out already. I also highly recommend Bloodshot. Think Punisher with a healing factor(like Wolverine). Instead of trying to type out a summary might I suggest wikipedia for that.

Shadowman comes out next month and while I can't say for certain what this will be like the original is a favorite. The 7 page teaser we got a few weeks back looks very promising. Shadowman: think Dr.Voodoo +Dr.Strange as a starting point.
    For Valiant, that would probably be more Dr. Mirage. Who hasn't made an appearance yet, but I bet when he does, it will be in Shadowman.
    Last edited by gwydion; 10-22-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    If you're talking about the new titles, I'd recommend all of them.
    XO is the furthest along with issue 6 coming out last week, but the first 4 issue trade is available in December. Harbinger trade is out in January, and so on. So all in all the titles would be easy to catch up on.

I recommend all as well, but it depends on your preferences. XO and Bloodshot are the closest to mainstream superhero books, though that may still be a stretch. Archer and Armstrong is more comedic adventure. Harbinger is just flat out awesome and a must read if you ask me...which you kind of did
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

I agree with what everybody have said, Valiant so far has been a breath of fresh air. The good thing about it is that you can read each title and get a complete story without having to read anything else. Of course you'll get some references to a larger universe and if you decide to get the rest of the titles you'll get to enjoy it.

In my case, I'm already finishing the storyarcs from the Big 2 that I've been reading. After that I can concentrate on Indies and any new books that Valiant releases. I can't wait for Shadowman!

As a fellow Batman fan (I have everything from 1984 to the present), I'm tired of weak, over-hyped storytelling that it's selling due to the book being Batman and the artists...
    "I am not an adventurer by choice but by fate."
    -Vincent van Gogh

Like the others have said, they're all self-contained, but have slight hints of what's going on in the other books, which shows it's a cohesive universe which they're building upon.

All the books are easy to follow.....Bloodshot is the only one that some might have trouble following, but it's the type of book where, with the first couple issues, you're not entirely sure why things have occurred.

All the books are worth checking out. A&A is comedic, but not in an overly goofy sense.......X-O, I will say, really starts to hit its stride by issue #4, but the first three issues aren't bad.

If you're too tentative to get all four titles, I'd recommend checking out X-O & Harbinger first, since they're the furthest along, and if you like them enough get Bloodshot and A&A.

Been an exciting last few weeks for Valiant.

• They released their first installment in the MASTERS line, their Omnibus/Absolute, in Bloodshot recollecting in HC the first 8 issues from the 90's run.
    • They announced the second title to get the MASTERS line which will be Ninjak in February 2013.
    • They have released their first title not part of the initial line relaunch with Shadowman!

We know Eternal Warrior is coming soon in A&A.
    We've been teased Rai since practically even before the Valiant relaunch happened via FreeComicBookDay this past May. Promoting him for Spring '13.

So how do we feel about the current state and the rate of growth?
    What's the next biggest, most likely place we'll get an announcement for Rai or EW. Assuming they wanted to use a 'Con for such a thing. MegaCon in Orlando next March? Is MegaCon not comic book specific for such an announcement?

What would you like to see as the next title to get the MASTERS treatment? For me it's either Rai or Shadowman.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

• They released their first installment in the MASTERS line, their Omnibus/Absolute, in Bloodshot recollecting in HC the first 8 issues from the 90's run.
    • They announced the second title to get the MASTERS line which will be Ninjak in February 2013.
    • They have released their first title not part of the initial line relaunch with Shadowman!

We've been teased Rai since practically even before the Valiant relaunch happened via FreeComicBookDay this past May. Promoting him for Spring '13.

What's the next biggest, most likely place we'll get an announcement for Rai or EW. Assuming they wanted to use a 'Con for such a thing. MegaCon in Orlando next March? Is MegaCon not comic book specific for such an announcement?

What would you like to see as the next title to get the MASTERS treatment? For me it's either Rai or Shadowman.
    I am waiting for the full October sales numbers to come out, because I think they will be telling for a few reasons. First, we will get a look at how the Bloodshot HC (which I LOVE by the way) sold, which will give an indicator for how future trades will sell (espescially because post-Unity VALIANT is pretty easy to find in quarter bins). Second, October was the first month without a new title launching or a major first appearance (like Ninjak). This may be the closest window we get into where these title land on a month to month basis once the honeymoon period has ended.

I am expecting big things in January, when the Spring solicits are released. The next big announcement should come just before then, likely in the weeks before news sites go dead for XMas. I think we will see Rai appear within another title first, probably in Bloodshot, before he gets his own series.

Most likely scenario is Ninjak (the first character to get a major reappearance and now the second to get the "Masters" treatment) gets his own series first. Of course I still like the idea of him leading Secret Weapons with people like Livewire, Stronghold and Dr. Mirage in response to the Vine invasion and the emergence of the various super powered individuals.

I have also heard rumblings of HARD Corps, and even Trinity Angels, being in the pipeline. I think what VALIANT is doing is planning when they will release all of their upcoming titles, while staying fluid with what those titles will be based on the best pitch/concept they receive at that time.

That being said I would expect Shadowman as the next VALIANT Masters HC, with a new story by Bob Hall. Eternal Warrior would be next, followed by Rai or possibly Quantum & Woody.
    Last edited by BugsySig; 11-12-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

I'd love it if they could do Magnus, Robot Fighter, Armorines and H.A.R.D.Corps.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

As it happens, Comichron put out their October sales estimates today.

XO came in at about 16.5k while the other three titles held stead between 14-15k. The best part about that is the books are staying steady, and even increasing slightly in the case of A&A this month, as they start to level off. That is good news for VALIANT. Hopefully the addition of Shadowman this month doesn't take too much away from the other books as retailers find space for another VALIANT book.

I think the Trinity Angels would work really well as guest-stars in an arc of Shadowman, if you trim the concept right down to three women (who may be sisters) waking up in the woods (or swamp, I guess) with superpowers and amnesia. The Queen of Monsters would make a pretty good foil for both the Angels and Shadowman to combat. That said... they need redesigns worse than most Valiant characters. Though I would like if they changed their ethnicity, too. Magic Charlie's Angels! It could be sweet.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    I think the Trinity Angels would work really well as guest-stars in an arc of Shadowman, if you trim the concept right down to three women (who may be sisters) waking up in the woods (or swamp, I guess) with superpowers and amnesia. The Queen of Monsters would make a pretty good foil for both the Angels and Shadowman to combat. That said... they need redesigns worse than most Valiant characters. Though I would like if they changed their ethnicity, too. Magic Charlie's Angels! It could be sweet.
    Yeah, I think that's why WarrennSimons likes them. The concept has some good elements but the overall designs, etc can be stripped down and rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Yeah, I think that's why WarrennSimons likes them. The concept has some good elements but the overall designs, etc can be stripped down and rebuilt.
    Smart man, that Warren Simons.

There's also the added bonus of a female-heavy book and the whole "missed opportunity" vibe the old series seems to put off. I'm not sure who'd be the right fit for it, though. Marc Andreyko or Joshua Hal Fialkov would be very cool.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    Smart man, that Warren Simons.

There's also the added bonus of a female-heavy book and the whole "missed opportunity" vibe the old series seems to put off. I'm not sure who'd be the right fit for it, though. Marc Andreyko or Joshua Hal Fialkov would be very cool.
    I am not into Fialkov's "I, Vampire" despite his considerable writing talents, but his Masters of the Universe: Origin of Skeletor #1 last week was EXCELLENT. I would definitely buy a Valiant book written by Fialkov.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!