Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Sep 4, 2012

Tim reflects on the first eight issues of Brandon Graham's "Prophet" series from Image Comics, and, in tribute to Bret Easton Ellis, explores what it means to be "Extreme" or "Post-Extreme."

Full article here.

The new Prophet is differently crazy good! One million times better than the previous incarnation. But not to nit pick but Purves came before Keown.
    READ HYPERACTIVE COMICS ON THE DUCK and COMIC FURY and SMACK JEEVES!!

I've heard alot of great things about this series. ALOT! I even downloaded the first issue which is now free on Comixology. I'm still going to wait for a few more issues to come out before I seriously consider picking it up though. There's a part of me that thinks Liefeld is going to suddenly show up and stomp all over these books and creators at some point. All this free time he now finds himself with "Post DC" makes me a little nervous that he'll get more hands on with his Extreme line. Long delays and sudden series stops were also trademarks of the "Extreme" Era. I'm going to wait at least a year to see if they don't raise their ugly heads in the "Post Extreme" one.

I think a postcolonial response to this text is a promising avenue to discuss it. It is clearly involved in some discussion of imperial ideas (morality, politics etc) esp from a colonial imperial perspective, similar to colonial experiences of USA, Canada, Australia, etc. I find it interesting to look at the fetishizing of imperial artifacts by other 'alien' colonies and how the Prophet(s) reclaim/ destroy these items during their reawakening and missions.

Lost and absent minded

Wow, are you totally crawling up Liefelds arse or what!!
    I've noticed how CBR is often sucking up to various creators/brands instead of critiquing them... but this is ridiculous.

This whole article is attempting to define comics as per the Liefeld ouvre... complete nonsense! Starting out with a weird pseudo-intellectual ramble dropping every possible name to connote some kind of literary gravity to what follows.

This theory only works if you equate Extreme/'Post-Extreme' (as a category referring to Extreme Studios in relation to itself, as in Post-Extreme Extreme Studios inc) with Bad/Good comics.
    The recent relaunch of Extreme comics shows this: whenever Liefelds creations are written and drawn by anyone other than Liefeld they are good comics. When Liefeld directly works on anything, note the recent Hawk and Dove, Hawkman, Deathstroke and Grifter books, they bomb.
    Deadpool proves this also... for all Liefelds harping on about how he created this popular character, ergo he is some kind of genius, the only actual distinctive aspect of the character is the 'merc with a mouth' moniker, and the 'mouth' was initially Fabian Nicieza followed by many others over the last 20 odd years. Thats what made the character succeed. Same with Cable, it was other people making better comics rather than working in relation to some great moment in comics history.
    So what we have here then is, in the period between Liefeld quitting Marvel and starting Extreme Studios, the first example of your so-called Post-Extreme existing Pre-Extreme Studios? Sorry, doesn't stack up.

There is not some kind of Extreme/Liefeld aesthetic, moment or even period, defining comics history, the wake of which defining their work as appendage to Liefelds way of comics. There is just good and bad comic making. Some of his comics were good, many not so, and much of what other people did with his initial sketches has been good, but not all of it.
    Also, through the same timeframes that you select McFarlane and Lee were just as definitive of superhero aesthetics and theirs is still running, especially Lee, whose layouts and hero poses are still being mimicked. Yes there is a Liefeld look, but it rarely appears outside of Liefeld books. It is unique, that is why there seems to be specific set of critiques for it only (like the thing about pouches). As it is so distinct it cannot be said to be that which defines the genre, just what defines itself.

There is no Extreme/Post-Extreme

zetomenn - You're so Empire.