Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default It's Sad The New Journey Into Mystery is getting no attention because... No Relaunch

Seriously whenever Marvel Now! Is Discussed they rarely touch upon the new creative team for this and i wanna know why they didn't relaunch it...perhaps they wanted to keep the numbers the same or perhaps they figured it was gonna get canceled anyways so why bother? then again why bother with a new creative team if it's just gonna get canned instantly?

Seeing An Issue Numbered #646 doesn't really stand out in a good way among issues numbered #1 I'm not saying all comics should be relaunched but this one could really benefit from it...It Isn't like Journey Into Mystery was a big seller anyways so what would it really hurt?

and it's not at all like the previous kid loki focused series it's focused around Lady Sif with A Brand New Creative Team....I'm All For More Fantasy/Horror Titles In Marvel But this one probably won't get much love and that's sad
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)

I agree that JiM is one of Marvel's better books that gets overlooked...

When they announced Red She-Hulk taking over the Hulk title but not getting a relaunch as #1, I asked Alonso, he said that despite the change of leads, the book failed to meet their criteria to warrant a #1. At the time many including myself assumed it was because of the creative team and the same writer staying on board.

Then Journey into Mystery's new direction was announced and since then so has the relaunches of FF and X-Men: Legacy. All this leads me to believe that #1s are either given based on editorial preference or the sales range of books before hand. The later is most likely the culprit but one has to wonder, wouldn't giving the books new leads and jumping on points to boost sales warrant allowing it to have a new number 1?

Seriously they relaunched Hulk so many times the index for those volumes have to be horrible, Avengers should be going on volume 5 or 6, would creating a new volume for Journey into Mystery or Red She-Hulk be that bad? Do they think they are fooling anyone with pull lists and such by leaving the numbering the same?

But I digress, Marvel Now is just another relaunch like Marvel has been doing for several years except this time it is hitting the core titles at once instead of based on department/editors. While it is thinly veiled as Marvel's version of New 52, it is a half assed (maybe even only a quarter) attempt to do what DC did last year. This is coming from a life long Marvel Zombie that Marvel seems determined to change back into a human with free will.

they really fail to mention that Journey Into Mystery #646 is a good jumping on point for new readers but then again it's not #1 it's #646....the number itself scares away people who haven't read the series

Im debating trying the first arc or dropping JIM like it's hot when Everything Burns is dunzo
    Mah Sheet: Moon Knight, Thor, Wolfsbane, Paladin, Doc Ock, Black Bolt, Cage, Hawkeye, Sunfire, Boomerang, Hellcat, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Bishop, Magik, Cypher

Alonso outright said that a book taking a new direction would be enough to warrant a #1. I guess the same creative team is what prevents Red She-Hulk from launching, but that's not the case with Journey Into Mystery.

As for why it's not getting attention, it's a book that is going to least resemble its previous volume. The book won't be Gillen writing Kid Loki, it will be Immonen writing Sif.

That's a dumb reason...at least it's something different i imagine people would complain if it was Immonen writing Kid Loki

dont blame the lack of number one for the little interest in the book. they should have given the book to valkyrie.not sure how many fans sif has
    Hi, my name is Peter Parker and I make satanic pacts with demons. .I shall not buy Amazing Spider-Man until the marriage returns. Be a part of the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    dont blame the lack of number one for the little interest in the book. they should have given the book to valkyrie.not sure how many fans sif has
    I do agree that the book would have more attention if it were Valkyrie in the lead, but I still don't get why it didn't get relaunched. Different creative team, different lead character, different concept (unless Sif is getting Kidded up). Should've been a new #1. That may not have piqued interest in the book itself, but you can bet collectors would be more tempted to pick it up which may have seen the book gain more readers than it would on it's own.

I'll give it a look to see what they do with Sif. I've always liked the character, but some supporting characters are great as supporting characters, but can't quite make the leap to lead. I don't know that I need a #1 to start checking something out, just an idea of when a good jumping on point is. Sometimes I don't even need that. I still need to work my way back to the beginning of Scarlet Spider, but I love the book even jumping into the middle of it.
    "The test of the artist does not lie in the will with which he goes to work, but in the excellence of the work he produces." --Saint Thomas Aquinas

Quote Originally Posted by rsreed13 View Post
    I do agree that the book would have more attention if it were Valkyrie in the lead, but I still don't get why it didn't get relaunched. Different creative team, different lead character, different concept (unless Sif is getting Kidded up). Should've been a new #1. That may not have piqued interest in the book itself, but you can bet collectors would be more tempted to pick it up which may have seen the book gain more readers than it would on it's own.
    guessing they only relaunch titles they know will sell well....and in the case of Journey Into Mystery they probably thought it was gonna get canceled soon so why bother relaunching it when it's already dead?

Honestly just the announcement of it being a part of Marvel NOW got me to at least look at the book. I've been thinking about getting it in trades, which I probably will now, and it is one of the more tempting titles for me to add to my pull list. But I want to wait to hear about the other titles Marvel is going to launch/relaunch for NOW before I make that decision. But it is definitely going on the trade list at least.
    Comic fan and hopeful author.

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    guessing they only relaunch titles they know will sell well....and in the case of Journey Into Mystery they probably thought it was gonna get canceled soon so why bother relaunching it when it's already dead?
    Not saying you're wrong, but I just don't get it. I'll be picking up JiM when this starts in support of the new female lead, and I haven't ever read JiM prior. So, technically, that's a new reader. Granted, who knows how many people will be jumping off the title once Gillen leaves (and I can't blame them if they were only reading for the story, it seems like a great take, it's just not my cup of tea).

I'd be more supportive if Valkyrie was the lead and if I knew the creative team.