Page 6 of 824 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106506 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 12359
  1. #76
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,964

    Default

    In my opinion JMS has had the second best Spider-Man run since the book relaunched in 1999 (Bendis has the number one spot). Probably even further back then 1999 but I don't feel like breaking out the long box.

  2. #77
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,381

    Default

    While I haven't read the whole run, I can't say I'm a huge fan of what JMS did for the book. I know that OMD was not his idea, but his idea was even worse. And I'd say Slott's writing is leagues above his in the Spidey department. I'd put Slott's best above USM's best, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinx View Post
    You sad, misguided man. =p
    No one will ever convince me that it's good. Because it's not. It's just Blink 182 trying to be musical and creative, when they should just stick to singing about being 22 and having relations with people's moms. I'll admit that I Miss You is a pretty decent song, and I like the hook on Feeling This (can't stand the rest of the song, though). But the song you posted just sounds like a reject off of Box Car Racer's album. Their self titles was essentially a bridge to Angels and Airwaves, which is another band I don't care for.

    Now, Enema of the State... that's an album I can still get behind. But I suppose that's what I get from being from that time when Blink 182 was still a good band (Wolverine12, I know you're older than me; but you're still wrong about their self titled record).

    I'll give Blink some credit though, their transition from punk to... whatever you'd call their next sound was much better than Green Day's. I got through half of 21st Century Breakdown before I couldn't take it anymore.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  3. #78
    The Best There Is Wolverine12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Claw City
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    There wasn't any hostility in my post to you, Robbie. Were you asking about how well the DVD will do sales wise? I think it'll do extremely well.


    Fan posters
    That Black Panther poster is amazing. Luke Cage is pretty good, but it looks like a fan poster.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

  4. #79
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    That Black Panther poster is amazing. Luke Cage is pretty good, but it looks like a fan poster.
    Speaking of fan made...this won a motion comic contest even though it's totally not a motion comic lol


  5. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    While I haven't read the whole run, I can't say I'm a huge fan of what JMS did for the book. I know that OMD was not his idea, but his idea was even worse. And I'd say Slott's writing is leagues above his in the Spidey department. I'd put Slott's best above USM's best, too.
    A few years ago, I probably wouldn't have agreed with this. But after reading Spider-Island, I would also say Slott is by and large the best Spider-Man writer in years. I thought JMS had his moments, but in the long run I think Slott has him beat. I've only recently been getting back into 616 Spider-Man. I lost interest after OMD, but the success of Spider-Island has really reinvigorated my love for Spider-Man. And barring another OMD, I hope it stays that way.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

    X-men Supreme

  6. #81
    Senior Member Samorai_black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Ummmmm.....Breaking Bad.

    spoilers:
    He knows. I knew it was coming, but holy crap. He knows.
    end of spoilers
    I dont even know what to say, but we have one hell of a wait. spoilers:
    For a little while I was really mad/disapointed at Walt, and I really did want Hank to catch him. The last moments of the episode made me forgave all that and now I want Walt to win.
    end of spoilers

    As for Spider-man, I have tried so many times to read Amazing from the issue 1 but there was so much dialogue I couldnt get through the second half of the first issue, I did enjoy the art which makes me think that I just do not like art from the 90's. Knowing what I know now about Spider-man I think going back and reading stories of when Peter and MJ were together would be a waste good stories or not becuase in my head none of that happened. So as long as Slott is writing and ASM is on my pull list I will only be moving foward.

    I am also interested in reading about the 'totems" if anyone knows what issues that is please let me know.

  7. #82
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,964

    Default

    The totems are early on in JMS's run (when MJ and Peter are together) and later in JMS's run (when Peter and MJ are together). Vol 2 #30-38 (It's not all the way to 38 but EVERYONE should read "The Conversation" (when Aunt May discovers Peter is Spider-Man) it's powerful stuff and easily one of the best Spider-Man comics ever written).

  8. #83
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,854

    Default

    "Miss You" is the only Blink 182 song I like. However I used to really like "Feeling This" when I was younger. I felt that their self titled album was Blink 182 trying to make a decent rock album for all ages instead of just for teenage girls with nose studs who thought they were too cool for singers like Britney Spears. Similarly to bands like Busted and Green Day, it was all a bit teenie-boppy. It was all the rage when I was 13-15.

    How...ever. Their drummer Travis is brilliant. He's the best drummer I know of in recent times.

    I hate it when people call Blink 182 punk rock. They're nothing of the sort. It's pop-rock. There's nothing punk about it except for the piercing and hair styles. Just an imitation of what went on twenty years prior. If you want Punk music, listen to the Sex Pistols. I'm not a very big fan of the Sex Pistols myself, but they are, without question of a doubt, the very definition of Punk. Punk was a massive rebellious trend in the eighties during Mrs Thatcher's time in office and the war in the Falklands.

    I've even heard people also call all those bands like Green Day, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Avril Levine etc. Indy. Indy stands for Individual. You can't call a category/genre that. Thanks US + UK shitty Hit Factory and your teen-pop-rock for ruining that. Thanks a lot.

    Also, since we're on the subject, can I just say something about Maroon 5. Their first album was great. Really good stuff. Now look at them. Their last two albums which followed have been complete and utter poo. They were once a really decent Soft-Rock band. Now they're a pop band doing songs with Rihanna and making annoying dance music all the time. Do they even play instruments anymore? I expect it's all dubbed now.

    What Rock music do I like?
    Growing up I always listened to Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pink Floyde, Linkin Park, Disturbed (they were really good actually), Guns & Roses and Oasis.

    Nowadays I listen to some of that still, and also ColdPlay, The Killers and the Arctic Monkeys. But truth be told I don't really listen to much "Rock" anymore. It's a hard genre to do something unique with. Rock's not my favourite music genre either. I really like 60's Soul Music. I listen to quite a lot of Soul singers. I also really like Dub-Step and Grime.

    "Closer" by Kings of Leon.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lkGhDHP093M
    I always thought Kings of Leon were good. But damn, it not this good. This is incredible. The lead singer sings this song so well with all his heart and soul. And he can even sing it Live, just as good as the recorded version. Every gig it sounds amazing. Play this song, turn it up, listen to it, let it ease you into peace. Wait for it to build. This is literally like one of the best songs I've ever heard.
    Last edited by Plawsky; 09-03-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Language

  9. #84
    Back to formula?! Sinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    3,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    I started reading ASM with Slott's run (#648-present). Out of curiosity, I used MDCU to go back to #500 and work my way back up to #647.

    Boy, was I disappointed.

    After reading most of JMS's run (#500-545) and the entire "Brand New Day" era (#546-647), I finally understand why Ultimate Spider-Man was so momentous: it was the only readable Spider-Man book on the shelves for nearly a decade.

    I hate to say it, but there's honestly no part of the pre-Slott run that I can recommend.
    Well thanks for the warning. =p

    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    No one will ever convince me that it's good. Because it's not. It's just Blink 182 trying to be musical and creative, when they should just stick to singing about being 22 and having relations with people's moms. I'll admit that I Miss You is a pretty decent song, and I like the hook on Feeling This (can't stand the rest of the song, though). But the song you posted just sounds like a reject off of Box Car Racer's album. Their self titles was essentially a bridge to Angels and Airwaves, which is another band I don't care for.

    Now, Enema of the State... that's an album I can still get behind. But I suppose that's what I get from being from that time when Blink 182 was still a good band (Wolverine12, I know you're older than me; but you're still wrong about their self titled record).

    I'll give Blink some credit though, their transition from punk to... whatever you'd call their next sound was much better than Green Day's. I got through half of 21st Century Breakdown before I couldn't take it anymore.
    Enema of the State is an awesome album as well. We can totally agree on the Green Day thing. I hated 21st Century Breakdown. American Idiot is still pretty good, but nothing can top Dookie. That album is amazing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    "Miss You" is the only Blink 182 song I like. However I used to really like "Feeling This" when I was younger. I felt that their self titled album was Blink 182 trying to make a decent rock album for all ages instead of just for teenage girls with nose studs who thought they were too cool for singers like Britney Spears. Similarly to bands like Busted and Green Day, it was all a bit teenie-boppy. It was all the rage when I was 13-15.

    How...ever. Their drummer Travis is brilliant. He's the best drummer I know of in recent times.

    I hate it when people call Blink 182 punk rock. They're nothing of the sort. It's pop-rock. There's nothing punk about it except for the piercing and hair styles. Just an imitation of what went on twenty years prior. If you want Punk music, listen to the Sex Pistols. I'm not a very big fan of the Sex Pistols myself, but they are, without question of a doubt, the very definition of Punk. Punk was a massive rebellious trend in the eighties during Mrs Thatcher's time in office and the war in the Falklands.

    I've even heard people also call all those bands like Green Day, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Avril Levine etc. Indy. Indy stands for Individual. You can't call a category/genre that. Thanks US + UK shitty Hit Factory and your teen-pop-rock for ruining that. Thanks a lot.

    Also, since we're on the subject, can I just say something about Maroon 5. Their first album was great. Really good stuff. Now look at them. Their last two albums which followed have been complete and utter poo. They were once a really decent Soft-Rock band. Now they're a pop band doing songs with Rihanna and making annoying dance music all the time. Do they even play instruments anymore? I expect it's all dubbed now.

    What Rock music do I like?
    Growing up I always listened to Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pink Floyde, Linkin Park, Disturbed (they were really good actually), Guns & Roses and Oasis.

    Nowadays I listen to some of that still, and also ColdPlay, The Killers and the Arctic Monkeys. But truth be told I don't really listen to much "Rock" anymore. It's a hard genre to do something unique with. Rock's not my favourite music genre either. I really like 60's Soul Music. I listen to quite a lot of Soul singers. I also really like Dub-Step and Grime.

    "Closer" by Kings of Leon.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lkGhDHP093M
    I always thought Kings of Leon were good. But damn, it not this good. This is incredible. The lead singer sings this song so well with all his heart and soul. And he can even sing it Live, just as good as the recorded version. Every gig it sounds amazing. Play this song, turn it up, listen to it, let it ease you into peace. Wait for it to build. This is literally like one of the best songs I've ever heard.
    I hear a lot of people say that Travis Barker is the best drummer ever, and speaking as a drummer myself, he IS really good, but there are quite a few people out there that are a lot better. Devan Bentley of Such Gold is an amazing drummer



    The Killers are an awesome band though. One of my friends is studying abroad in the Netherlands right now, and he just told me he's seeing The Killers in Berlin this weekend. I'm so jealous. >_<

    In the U.S. the term "indie music" is used to describe bands that are signed to independent labels, but a lot of people misuse the term to describe bands like Vampire Weekend, Passion Pit, etc.
    Aquaman Aquaman and the Others Batman Batman and Robin Justice League Wonder Woman Star Trek Brilliant Black Science Manifest Destiny Morning Glories Saga Shutter The Wake

  10. #85
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,964

    Default

    Sinx, are you reading it just to say you've read it or are you trying to get into Spider-Man?



    Which do you think is the superior cover? What about issue?

    I think Avengers Assemble takes both. I can't stand Jim Lee's art, I hate the redesigns, and that issue was extremely lack luster.
    Last edited by wyokid; 09-03-2012 at 11:22 AM.

  11. #86
    Sentinel of Liberty Drz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Home!
    Posts
    9,361

    Default

    Earth 2 #0 Preview! the Eight Wonders presented!

    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

  12. #87
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,964

    Default

    I'm dropping Wolverine once Loeb's run ends, Captain America and [insert character name here], and Venom. I've tried my damnedest to enjoy them but Cullen Bunn's writing has just been so SO so bad. His first arc on Wolverine started off well enough and really showed me the potential that Wolverine could have in a horror story but it became so bland and one-note so quickly that I almost didn't even finish it. As much as I love Captain America and as much as I love team-ups Captain America and [insert character name here] has been so dull with obnoxious characterizations. It'd be nice if it were like Avenging Spider-Man and had a different creative team each time but it's not so we get the lifelessness that is Bunn's writing. I've been reading Venom since the start and while I'm not the biggest fan of Remender, Venom was good enough for me to keep reading. Now Bunn has taken over and it's just become a shell of what it once was. Also I REALLY don't like the fact that Bunn is relocating him to Philadelphia and hooking him up with Valkyrie (I know it was hinted at by Remender, but I didn't like it then either). So yeah, there's three off my list. Anyone else dropping anything or have dropped anything lately?

  13. #88
    Senior Member Samorai_black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    The totems are early on in JMS's run (when MJ and Peter are together) and later in JMS's run (when Peter and MJ are together). Vol 2 #30-38 (It's not all the way to 38 but EVERYONE should read "The Conversation" (when Aunt May discovers Peter is Spider-Man) it's powerful stuff and easily one of the best Spider-Man comics ever written).
    Thanks wyokid, I think I read all the things connected with that story line. I enjoyed it and having read Spider-Island I think that helped me enjoy them even more. I didnt read, The Conversation though. I forgot Aunt May knew who Spider-man was and now it really doesnt matter to me so I don't feel like it is worth a read good or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Which do you think is the superior cover? What about issue?

    I think Avengers Assemble takes both. I can't stand Jim Lee's art, I hate the redesigns, and that issue was extremely lack luster.
    I like the DC cover more but the Avengers cover is almost just as good with Cap being the problem. I think his costume looks pretty bad compaired to everyone else on both covers. As for the issues I have only read the JL and to me it was just a average "superhero team up" issue" nothing special. I can not comment of Avengers though but I will check it out so I can form an opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Anyone else dropping anything or have dropped anything lately?
    I have not been to the comic shop for a while now so I have not dropped Teen Titans but I do know whats going on in the book and I will be dropping it once I get back. I liked the art on the book in the first few issues but I noticed how muscled the characters are to the point it looks nasty and unnatural. The writing is good and I enjoy the characters but the plots are were the book is losing me. I will return if Static joins the team but I dont think I can keep reading this now.

  14. #89
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samorai_black View Post
    Thanks wyokid, I think I read all the things connected with that story line. I enjoyed it and having read Spider-Island I think that helped me enjoy them even more. I didnt read, The Conversation though. I forgot Aunt May knew who Spider-man was and now it really doesnt matter to me so I don't feel like it is worth a read good or not.
    I still highly recommend reading it even if it doesn't really have any effect on today's stories.

    Quote Originally Posted by Samorai_black View Post
    I like the DC cover more but the Avengers cover is almost just as good with Cap being the problem. I think his costume looks pretty bad compaired to everyone else on both covers. As for the issues I have only read the JL and to me it was just a average "superhero team up" issue" nothing special. I can not comment of Avengers though but I will check it out so I can form an opinion.
    Do you like Bendis on Avengers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Samorai_black View Post
    I have not been to the comic shop for a while now so I have not dropped Teen Titans but I do know whats going on in the book and I will be dropping it once I get back. I liked the art on the book in the first few issues but I noticed how muscled the characters are to the point it looks nasty and unnatural. The writing is good and I enjoy the characters but the plots are were the book is losing me. I will return if Static joins the team but I dont think I can keep reading this now.
    I'm still pissed off at how DC and the creators on the book treated Static in the reboot.

    PREVIEW: Emma Rios's art for Captain Marvel #5

  15. #90
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinx View Post
    Enema of the State is an awesome album as well. We can totally agree on the Green Day thing. I hated 21st Century Breakdown. American Idiot is still pretty good, but nothing can top Dookie. That album is amazing.
    Excellent, some common ground. Dookie's got some great 90's pop-punk on it, and no one can deny that.

    I hear a lot of people say that Travis Barker is the best drummer ever, and speaking as a drummer myself, he IS really good, but there are quite a few people out there that are a lot better. Devan Bentley of Such Gold is an amazing drummer
    I love Travis for what he is - a great punk drummer. Learning his parts from Enema and Box Car Racer taught me how to play. But there's also way better drummers out there. I'm a big fan of Chad Smith from Red Hot Chili Peppers and Patrick Keeler from the Raconteurs, as far as current rock goes. Anyone who says rock is dead just isn't looking.

    The Killers are an awesome band though. One of my friends is studying abroad in the Netherlands right now, and he just told me he's seeing The Killers in Berlin this weekend. I'm so jealous. >_<
    I have to admit, I've never been a big Killers fan. I actually like a good bit of their stuff, but some of their earlier songs turned me off so I never really got into them.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •