Page 706 of 824 FirstFirst ... 206606656696702703704705706707708709710716756806 ... LastLast
Results 10,576 to 10,590 of 12359

Maybe it's because I'm a white male but the Alex speech seemed to me to be preaching acceptance. I don't understand why it would be found as offensive. Mutants have always represented minorities and this just continues that tradition. As to how Remender responded I didn't see the context of his comments so I can't really expand on that.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Yeah, stop bullying me, Wyokid. =p

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Was that an vain attempt to insult our new board member Mr. Correct for having a fun harmless conversation with me? Are you seriously going to debate the value of an comic book off-topic board and it's subjects? Instead of reasoning why you feel minorities such as Joe Hughes shouldn't be bothered by Remender's writing, you're just trying to insult and move on?
    Nah. I was just being a smartass :P

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    We're a world filled with differences. We're a tapestry, not a monochromatic blanket. The tapestry makes us more beautiful, and so all parts should be valued. We shouldn't say some parts are better than others, but neither should we pretend that each part doesn't have unique qualities that make it wonderful, y'know? That's the X-Men's message, and I think it's why this speech upset so many people. Good sentiment expressed poorly.
    I see what you're saying about the mutants. Each of their mutations are individual to them, each with their own qualities. But then you get abilities more useful than others, more dangerous than others, and more beautiful than others. You have Jimmy who can heal from any injury, Storm who is so beneficial can end drought by making it rain, but then there's Beak who's mutation is of greater misfortune, but it's still unique and useful to humanity. There's a lot we still don't understand about the "language" that birds use, so Beak could be really beneficial to our understanding about that.
    Last edited by Mr Monster Munch; 12-27-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm a white male but the Alex speech seemed to me to be preaching acceptance. I don't understand why it would be found as offensive. Mutants have always represented minorities and this just continues that tradition. As to how Remender responded I didn't see the context of his comments so I can't really expand on that.
    I agree with Mr. Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinx View Post
    I got a new computer chair, the Complete Calvin and Hobbes hardcover collection
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    That is the correct response. I've had all the paperbacks for almost 20 years, but I've been eyeing that box set for a while. Unfortunately, I saw it again the other day, and it appears that they've changed it from 3 to 4 volumes and changed the binding. It might fix some of the alleged binding issues, but I don't think it looks as nice. Still - an awesome collection of the medium's best work.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Correct View Post
    I see what you're saying about the mutants. Each of their mutations are individual to them, each with their own qualities. But then you get abilities more useful than others, more dangerous than others, and more beautiful than others. You have Jimmy who can heal from any injury, Storm who is so beneficial can end drought by making it rain, but then there's Beak who's mutation is of greater misfortune, but it's still unique and useful to humanity. There's a lot we still don't understand about the "language" that birds use, so Beak could be really beneficial to our understanding about that.
    Exactly! The same goes for real-world ethnic backgrounds, racial identities, sexual orientations and religions. We don't want to ignore someone's, I dunno, African-American culture, because there are a lot of unique aspects of that. African-American poetry, music, art... there's stuff in the world that's distinctly African-American, just like there's distinctly Jewish, Greek Orthodox, Hispanic, LGBTQ, Japanese-American, etc. cultural elements in the world. They're all really cool, and should be explored and celebrated. That's why colorblind attitudes are, in my opinion, harmful-- we don't want to sweep all these awesome cultural elements under the rug. We shouldn't say we don't see differences; we should see and appreciate them (without defining their owners by said differences.)
    Last edited by Time_to_Zap; 12-27-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

How did I miss this?! TUKI SAVE THE HUMANS, the new webcomic by Bone scribe JEFF SMITH has been live for a month now! Go read this! I'm surprised it's getting so little publicity though, this and Smith's previous work.

Elder Member

Old but classic

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Nah. I was just being a smartass :P
    No, you we're simply avoiding the subject, while insisting people like Joe Hughes are melodramatic, and deserve to be insulted by a Marvel employee?

Anyhow Zappy, one thing good to know is that the whole M-word scenario is forgotten, the 2nd trade has a single panel of Rogue and Scarlet Witch referencing it, but after that it gets forgotten.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    Exactly! The same goes for real-world ethnic backgrounds, racial identities, sexual orientations and religions. We don't want to ignore someone's, I dunno, African-American culture, because there are a lot of unique aspects of that. African-American poetry, music, art... there's stuff in the world that's distinctly African-American, just like there's distinctly Jewish, Greek Orthodox, Hispanic, LGBTQ, Japanese-American, etc. cultural elements in the world. They're all really cool, and should be explored and celebrated. That's why colorblind attitudes are, in my opinion, harmful-- we don't want to sweep all these awesome cultural elements under the rug. We shouldn't say we don't see differences; we should see and appreciate them (without defining their owners by said differences.)
    I completely agree. And I daren't ever argue this.

Come to think of it, it's quite clever how the subliminal message can be interpreted in a number of different ways because my interpretation of the speech is almost completely different. When reading Alex Summers' speech, I thought his disagreement with the word "mutant" meant something else entirely, but whilst in agreement to all that you've said now. The "N word" used to be the "correct" way to refer to Black people but because it was so often used so offensively, Black people are just Black, or African Americans in America. I think what Alex was saying was, don't ignore the fact that I'm "Black", but I really hate the word "N*****", so to speak. To me he seemed really proud of who he was, but just wanted to drop the negative label, which really holds not a lot of difference to those who are superpowered and are not mutants. He seemed to want to embrace who he was but didn't like the word that argues the fact that there is hardly much separation from that who are genetically modified or cosmic.

The "M word" can be seen a bit like the "N word". A lot of Black people don't accept the N word at all, whereas there are those who accept it amongst their culture. There's also the fact that "mutant" doesn't really hold much of a respectful example even in our reality as it is often related to deformities. So there's a lot of reasons why the word mutant might be seen as offensive to a lot of people.

But for the record, I don't think what he said was offensive and I think everybody complaining about it has overreacted and shouldn't be taking offence, simply because he didn't say anything offensive. In fact, ethnicity wasn't even the topic.
    Last edited by Mr Monster Munch; 12-28-2013 at 08:58 AM.

"Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    No, you we're simply avoiding the subject, while insisting people like Joe Hughes are melodramatic, and deserve to be insulted by a Marvel employee?
    No, I assure you, I was being a smartass.

In other news Canada done messed up in the 90s

Last edited by wyokid; 12-28-2013 at 08:59 AM.

I smell a conspiracy!

Person / Human - A very intelligent creature.
    Evidence: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind

People / Mankind - Stupidity. A barbaric, competitive and primitive race.
    Evidence:

How can this be? Does the media thrive on stupidity? Or does it purposely serve to misinform and perpetuate our social conflicts?
    Last edited by Mr Monster Munch; 12-29-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    My country is the world...
    And my religion is to do good.

Elder Member

https://twitter.com/AgentsofSHIELD/s...39369054162944

Too lazy to explain. Click the link