Page 536 of 824 FirstFirst ... 36436486526532533534535536537538539540546586636 ... LastLast
Results 8,026 to 8,040 of 12359
  1. #8026
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Can you watch Mission: Impossible IV without seeing the other three? I didn't realize Brad Bird directed it and I REALLY have no interest in watching yet another film written by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci.
    You could probably watch Mission: Impossible IV stand-alone, but I think that a viewing of III would help a bit. If you really don't want to watch III and you really want to watch IV (which I recommend, III was good, IV was amazing), then here's a quick what you need to know (spoilers only for III):

    spoilers:
    Ethan Hunt and Simon Pegg's character have worked together previously. The biggest thing though is that Ethan Hunt ended III unsure if he wanted to return to IMF and married to a woman named Julia. That's the most important bit that carries over and is essential to the plot of the fourth film.
    end of spoilers

  2. #8027
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,976

    Default

    Arrested Development Movie Followed By Another Season!

    Quote Originally Posted by DrHorrible View Post
    You could probably watch Mission: Impossible IV stand-alone, but I think that a viewing of III would help a bit. If you really don't want to watch III and you really want to watch IV (which I recommend, III was good, IV was amazing), then here's a quick what you need to know (spoilers only for III):

    spoilers:
    Ethan Hunt and Simon Pegg's character have worked together previously. The biggest thing though is that Ethan Hunt ended III unsure if he wanted to return to IMF and married to a woman named Julia. That's the most important bit that carries over and is essential to the plot of the fourth film.
    end of spoilers
    You are the first person I've talked to that has said anything good about the third one ever. I've never seen any of the films, I have seen episodes of the TV show, but I'm a really big Brad Bird fan so I want to watch the fourth one. Also, will me not liking Tom Cruise have any effect on my viewing?

  3. #8028
    Sentinel of Liberty Drz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Home!
    Posts
    9,362

    Default

    My thoughts on Marvel's Avengers: Endless Wartime


    Rating: 8.5/10

    Marvelís Original Graphic Novel series to capitalize on the success of their film studios launches with Avengers: Endless Wartime by the author Warren Ellis & Illustrator Mike Mckone. A Standalone story that offers a lot for both the casual and longtime readers, with extras like a quirky Marvel video & a free digital copy, not to mention (shamelessly advertised) Clark Greggís introduction on this book.

    The story offers all the Avengers youíre familiar with from the movies, with an added extra of the Wolverine & an introduction to the spiky Captain Marvel, a witty tongued super heroine.

    Captain America, Thor & Iron Man are the central figures, with their pasts all catching up to them, acts done, regardless of good intentions or not, come with consequences this time and the past comes back biting their tails. The chemistry between all the Avengers feels very natural, while the start of the book has a lot of exposition dialogue to introduce Captain Marvel & new concepts for the movie fans. Once that part is done, the dialogue feels right for everyone. Thorís dialogue has that very mighty tune, while no one writes a better douche Tony Stark than Ellis. Hawkeye & Hulk are the scene stealers however; youíd really want to read more about these two in fights.

    Wolverine gets a bad rap in this, heís the enforcer who maims & kills their foes, much like our Avengers do in the Marvel movies, but here Thor & Captain America hold a begrudging relation to him for that, which results in Wolverine of all people being the voice of reason. He points out how futile their actions will be: there is no long-term accomplishment, the Avengers are just a group of vigilantes out there ďavenging,Ē they acknowledge dire problems, but they donít act, they simply react once the enemy does the first strike. The ending is so bleak; it feels like a harsh criticism on modern superhero comics.

    Warren Ellis manages to utilize the page count as best as possible, Mckoneís art works in its photo realistic style not becoming too fantasy, but being very hyper real, much like the movies. The action sequences are fun, but itís the tone that Ellis sets that delivers because the best part has to be that, on the surface this is a comic book about Avengers fighting militarized Nazi Dragons (seriously), but in truth itís superheroes simply running around in circles mixed with military complexes & evil corporations in todayís comics. We need the Authority, which is why I love this book.
    Highly recommended to absolutely everyone.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

  4. #8029
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Arrested Development Movie Followed By Another Season!



    You are the first person I've talked to that has said anything good about the third one ever. I've never seen any of the films, I have seen episodes of the TV show, but I'm a really big Brad Bird fan so I want to watch the fourth one. Also, will me not liking Tom Cruise have any effect on my viewing?
    IMO I would rank them 4, 3, 1, 2, but the only one I would classify as really good is 4. And yeah, I've never seen the show, but Brad Bird is amazing and so is this movie, mostly because of his directing chops. You not liking Tom Cruise might have some effect on your viewing, as he sorta is the main character, but the cast is really nicely rounded out and he doesn't have to act a lot in this movie because he does a ton of really fun action sequences. You should definitely see it though, I highly recommend it as an action flick. It's the most fun I had at the theaters in 2011.

  5. #8030
    Peter Parker Darman456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrHorrible View Post
    IMO I would rank them 4, 3, 1, 2, but the only one I would classify as really good is 4. And yeah, I've never seen the show, but Brad Bird is amazing and so is this movie, mostly because of his directing chops. You not liking Tom Cruise might have some effect on your viewing, as he sorta is the main character, but the cast is really nicely rounded out and he doesn't have to act a lot in this movie because he does a ton of really fun action sequences. You should definitely see it though, I highly recommend it as an action flick. It's the most fun I had at the theaters in 2011.
    Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows was mine personally. Loved that movie. Had SO much fun!
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

    "With great power comes great responsibility."

  6. #8031
    @ALLENRICKETTS Codah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dallas. TX
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Can you watch Mission: Impossible IV without seeing the other three? I didn't realize Brad Bird directed it and I REALLY have no interest in watching yet another film written by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci.
    Absolutely. It's an amazing movie too. 3 is totally worth watching BTW.
    Comics are more better.

  7. #8032
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows was mine personally. Loved that movie. Had SO much fun!
    That was also great, my only complaint is how they turned Sherlock Holmes into an action movie when the original Conan Doyle stories had essentially no action. Cumberbatch's Sherlock I think is a much better modernization of Conan Doyle's stories.

  8. #8033
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,976

    Default

    TOMORROW



    Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    Absolutely. It's an amazing movie too. 3 is totally worth watching BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHorrible View Post
    IMO I would rank them 4, 3, 1, 2, but the only one I would classify as really good is 4. And yeah, I've never seen the show, but Brad Bird is amazing and so is this movie, mostly because of his directing chops. You not liking Tom Cruise might have some effect on your viewing, as he sorta is the main character, but the cast is really nicely rounded out and he doesn't have to act a lot in this movie because he does a ton of really fun action sequences. You should definitely see it though, I highly recommend it as an action flick. It's the most fun I had at the theaters in 2011.
    Hmm. I guess I'll watch the first two and then decide if I want to sit through three. 2011's best film for me was Captain America: The First Avenger.

  9. #8034
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Hmm. I guess I'll watch the first two and then decide if I want to sit through three.
    If you're going to watch them all in order, don't decide if you'll watch three and four based on the first two. The first two aren't bad, but they just reek of mediocrity IMO. They feel too run of the mill. Two hits a low point for the franchise with the constant use of the stupid face masks. If you're going to watch the first two, I'd recommend just watching all of them, regardless of what you feel about the first two.

  10. #8035
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,976

    Default

    Video contains major spoilers for all of Breaking Bad




    Quote Originally Posted by DrHorrible View Post
    If you're going to watch them all in order, don't decide if you'll watch three and four based on the first two. The first two aren't bad, but they just reek of mediocrity IMO. They feel too run of the mill. Two hits a low point for the franchise with the constant use of the stupid face masks. If you're going to watch the first two, I'd recommend just watching all of them, regardless of what you feel about the first two.
    They may be mediocre, but I'm grading them against Orci and Kurtzman's other works. So, basically, they just have to be better than The Island, The Legend of Zorro, Eagle Eye, the two Star Trek reboot films, Cowboy and Aliens, People Like Us, Now You See Me, and all three of the Michael Bay Transformers films. In other words, they have to be better than some of the worst films I've ever seen.
    Last edited by wyokid; 09-23-2013 at 10:50 PM.

  11. #8036

    Default

    Anybody else think that the NFL season this year is really unfair? Three weeks in and it looks like nobody can stop Peyton Manning and the Broncos. It's like every team they play is just a practice scrimmage for them. And in the NFC, nobody can seem to stop the Seahawks. Every team they play just gets crushed. There hasn't been this kind of dominance since 2007 when the Patriots just crushed everyone (until they choked in the Superbowl). It's starting to get too predictable and that's usually what the NFL is best at avoiding.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

    X-men Supreme

  12. #8037
    Sentinel of Liberty Drz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Home!
    Posts
    9,362

    Default

    Secret Society preview! This might just be the best issue yet from Forever Evil?!


    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

  13. #8038
    of Earth-1610 RockyBanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,590

    Default

    I opted out of Villains Month and Forever Evil and whatnot, and of course, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Thinking about picking it up when the digital price comes down. What do you guys think? Worth buying?

  14. #8039
    Sentinel of Liberty Drz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Home!
    Posts
    9,362

    Default

    Well 1st issues of Event comics are usually always highly claimed, but i think Johns really has something special cooked up with this. Johns has handled "hero teams up with villain and they gain a bond of respect", now he seems to do with Batman and Lex Luthor, while also working on Black Adam + Sinestro bromance and whatnot.

    Definitely check out Forever Evil if it later on proves awesome, i got Infinity HC pre-ordered and ready, New Avengers has been awesome, and people seem to be praising Infinity as the 1st really good event in a long time from Marvel.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

  15. #8040
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    I opted out of Villains Month and Forever Evil and whatnot, and of course, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Thinking about picking it up when the digital price comes down. What do you guys think? Worth buying?
    See, I feel like I've heard not so great things, but I can't speak from personal experience. Though I've heard more about the behind the scenes stuff, which is almost entirely negative, than the actual content of the books.

    The covers, despite the colossal failure surrounding them, are pretty danged cool though.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •