Page 209 of 824 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259309709 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 12359

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    How does he shatter the tone, when it's all meant to be relatable? It is only shattered for you personally because you and only you insist to yourself that these movies are meant to be realistic, so it is not the film maker's problem, it is your own one.
    I don't think that these movies are really meant to be realistic. I believe that these things shatter the tone because, well, they shouldn't exist. We get this idea that Batman lives in our time (or perhaps before it with all the Great Depression era references in the first film) but none of this stuff would or should exist in this world. Moreover, how does Batman, an ordinary guy, survive all he does? It doesn't seem possible.

All superhero movies, we all hold realism aside. But just because it's a superhero film doesn't mean you have to completely shove aside realism. I felt the Avengers to be more "real" because they already fully-established why those "weird" things exist. The Batman films didn't. In fact, why don't you just look up the two Batman Honest Trailers to see what was wrong with the "realism" in those films. I just feel like they tossed it out the window. When enhanced realism was actually PART OF what they were going for.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

How does he shatter the tone, when it's all meant to be relatable? It is only shattered for you personally because you and only you insist to yourself that these movies are meant to be realistic, so it is not the film maker's problem, it is your own one.
    I'm pretty sure that everyone sees Nolan's Batfilms as a realistic take on a superhero story. Obviously, there's some stuff that pushes - or even breaks - the boundary, but the films are absolutely grounded in reality. Future-tech like the tumbler, the cell-phone hack, etc do not negate the realism. Bane, Joker, and Catwoman were very realistic takes on those characters.

That's not to say that I don't like the realism the movie's present. That existed in Burton's films too. And it's not too dissimilar from the feel of Year One or, to a lesser extent, Dark Knight Returns.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

So I'm probably gonna give up the CBR forums for Lent...
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    So I'm probably gonna give up the CBR forums for Lent...
    Noooo Zap!

By the way, what's your tumblr? I know you have one! DON'T TRY TO DENY IT! O-O

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Noooo Zap!

By the way, what's your tumblr? I know you have one! DON'T TRY TO DENY IT! O-O
    It's only for 40 days.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    It's only for 40 days.
    40 days!!? Who knows how long that will be!!! Come back Zap! COME BBAACCKK!!

@Plawsky After much struggling I managed to get past the first issue of Hickman's Fantastic Four. The second issue was much better. While I still have major problems with his dialogue, I found Reed going through looking at alternate dimensions' Civil War and seeing how they resolved it quite entertaining as well as the rest of the group bounce through time.
    Last edited by wyokid; 02-11-2013 at 05:45 PM.

40 days!!? Who knows how long that will be!!! Come back Zap! COME BBAACCKK!!

@Plawsky After much struggling I managed to get past the first issue of Hickman's Fantastic Four. The second issue was much better. While I still have major problems with his dialogue, I found Reed going through looking at alternate dimensions' Civil War and seeing how they resolved it quite entertaining as well as the rest of the group bounce through time.
    I loved Hickman's FF. An important thing to remember for that first arc is that Hickman had to back Reed down from the cliff he'd been painted up to by largely directionless writers; even though I personally loved it, there was a larger purpose behind that arc. By the time you hit 574, the series turns into something magical. I ADORE his Franklin and Val.
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by taylor51 View Post
    I loved Hickman's FF. An important thing to remember for that first arc is that Hickman had to back Reed down from the cliff he'd been painted up to by largely directionless writers; even though I personally loved it, there was a larger purpose behind that arc. By the time you hit 574, the series turns into something magical. I ADORE his Franklin and Val.
    574 was really good until Future Franklin showed up and then nothing made sense except for bits of spoilers I already know about for later issues. 573 was headache inducing. So far the sixth story is off to a good start despite Hickman not explaining the dead Galactus from the future.

EDIT: I'm digging his take on Franklin; Valerie not so much. Also he named an arc after a Killers song. Sweet.

EDIT: Three was really good. The highlight had to be the final issue though. Such raw emotion and the Uncles story was heart-touching.
    Last edited by wyokid; 02-11-2013 at 08:05 PM.

EDIT: I'm digging his take on Franklin; Valerie not so much. Also he named an arc after a Killers song. Sweet.
    The Killers. <3 What was the arc called?
    Aquaman Aquaman and the Others Batman Batman and Robin Justice League Wonder Woman Star Trek Brilliant Black Science Manifest Destiny Morning Glories Saga Shutter The Wake

Elder Member

It's losing me with this Inhuman stuff. I just finished re-reading the entire cosmic run from Drax: The Destroyer to Marvel NOW! Point One #1. War of Kings took forever to get off the ground and all the boring stuff is coming right back at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinx View Post
    The Killers. <3 What was the arc called?
    Part 1: When Everything's Lost, the Battle is Won
    Part 2: Because of All These Things I've Done

Are you going to respond to these?
    No, I'm saying that not every episode was great.
    So what about the Two-Face episode? You clearly had issues with Nolan not using the acid scene. So clearly, if you are willing to set aside "not like in mah comics" on other incarnations, you clearly don't have a problem with comic loyalty but just choose to complain about them for the sake of it.

I was hoping these would get brought up. These are the things that hurt the universe that Nolan has created. He adds these ridiculously preposterous contraptions into a world where they not only have no place in existing, but actually shatters the tone of the films.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Elder Member

CW's Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, and Supernatural have been renewed for another season.

Had this song stuck in my head all day.

Not complaining.

Are you going to respond to these?
    My bad, thought I did. Must have closed the window before posting it.

So what about the Two-Face episode? You clearly had issues with Nolan not using the acid scene. So clearly, if you are willing to set aside "not like in mah comics" on other incarnations, you clearly don't have a problem with comic loyalty but just choose to complain about them for the sake of it.
    It's not that it went against comics, that's perfectly fine, it's that they chose burning because that's more realistic that I have an issue with. I don't like taking the make-believe and molding and bending it into something that would fit into reality.

As Plawsky noted these films are seen as realistic, not relatable. Whether you feel the future tech breaks that is subject to the viewer.

EDIT: 600 had to be the most anticlimactic thing ever. I hope the rest of the arc isn't like that.

EDIT: Okay so I finished the big 45 issues long story arc. I gotta say that I'm rather disappointed. I was expecting something grander and larger.
    Last edited by wyokid; 02-11-2013 at 11:20 PM.

EDIT: For Balfro. <3

It's not that it went against comics, that's perfectly fine, it's that they chose burning because that's more realistic that I have an issue with. I don't like taking the make-believe and molding and bending it into something that would fit into reality.
    So you do also have something againts the way Harvey Dent becomes Two-Face in Batman the Animated Series? Can i also learn why you feel the use of acid is the most important aspect here? Wouldn't the concept of Harvey having two sides be the most important aspect, with the crime of Gotham being the one that breaks Harvey's spirit in half.

As Plawsky noted these films are seen as realistic, not relatable. Whether you feel the future tech breaks that is subject to the viewer.
    Christopher Nolan, the man behind the franchise has regarded his take on the series as relatable, whatever the fanbase feels is completely irrelevant, not to mention it's hilarious how you try to circle away from all the technology that the characters utilize from villains to heroes, yet the way they treated the background stories is something youf eel is only thing that can be nitpicked here.

Also remember guys to vote on the Injustice Battle Arena! You can win cool rewards like "Arrow" alternate costume for Green Arrow! =)
    Last edited by Drz; 02-12-2013 at 05:27 AM.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

I never said they weren't relatable, they absolutely are. That's why they made it realistic. So people feel like this is happening in their world, or rather one very similar.

EDIT: 600 had to be the most anticlimactic thing ever. I hope the rest of the arc isn't like that.

EDIT: Okay so I finished the big 45 issues long story arc. I gotta say that I'm rather disappointed. I was expecting something grander and larger.
    I'd love to see a Fantastic Four story that's grander or larger. Not better, but one that's actually grander. Hell, I'd say there are few, if any, grander and larger stories to come out of Marvel or DC that aren't written by Grant Morrison. I'm not really sure how much grander you can get when one character as Anhilus on a leash and another has Galactus in the palm of his hand. I get that you don't dig Hickman's style, but there's no denying that it's a huge story.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Orson Scott Card hates gays? I never knew that...
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF