Page 191 of 824 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201241291691 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 12359
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    So appartantly this is a thing now. Marvel Announces 16-Pound WOLVERINE: ADAMANTIUM COLLECTION
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marv...ollection.html
    Heh. I just got the Definitive Hardcover of Irredeemable through my door today and it was about the same size as that. It's a lot, lot bigger than I was expecting. Maybe a little too big. It's giant! Perhaps this size is the start of a new trend for comicbook collections throughout the industry.

But. To my disappointment, my Irredeemable Definitive HC had a big tear along the top of the HC slip cover. So I'm going to have to send it back and order it again. It's a pain in the arse because now it's going to take a while before I get a nice undamaged one.

I finally got round to watching those Astonishing X-Men motion comics. They were really good. The characters were written really well, which is to be expected from such a groundbreaking run. I'd heard lots about it before and it's nice to finally experience it first hand. I can see why it was so popular. Joss Whedon knew these characters well.

Colossus' reveal was particularly brilliant.

I thought the alien antagonist (I forget his name) was a bit too strong in #2 and I sort of struggled to believe how he could job such powerful X-Men members so easily. I also thought Wolverine and Emma Frost were depicted much weaker than they should have. Emma's psychic ability should have been able to do half the fighting!

It was a good X-Men story. It didn't feel too "kiddy" either. However: Has Joss Whedon ever met a British person before? We do not say "bloody" all the time. In fact we rarely say it. It's a word older gentlemen and women are more likely to say. And in Buffy every British character featured were posh as fuck, occasionally snobby and extremely geeky. Like they're all born with a golden spoon up their arse. Joss Whedon's perception of the British is stuck 50-80 years in the past. It's terrible.

Overall, I had a good time watching it. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Robbie_Jee; 02-01-2013 at 04:29 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Not only is there a big price difference between Omnibuses and Absolutes compared to this, the sizes are different too and offer easily a better reading experience + pimpin out your bookshelf. Wolverine the Adamantium Collection is something you're forced to put on the very bottom and hope your shelf slot is high enough for it. Tsk Plawsky, get a better book shelf!
    I agree. Those books are bit too large. A normal OSHC is huge but it's not too huge. I just got the Irredeemable Definitive Hardcover through my door today in a parcel and it was about that size. I couldn't believe it. Still, it's a beautiful looking book and it comes in a HC slip cover.

On Vacation

Heh. I just got the Definitive Hardcover of Irredeemable through my door today and it was about the same size as that. It's a lot, lot bigger than I was expecting. Maybe a little too big. It's giant! Perhaps this size is the start of a new trend for comicbook collections throughout the industry.

But. To my disappointment, my Irredeemable Definitive HC had a big tear along the top of the HC slip cover. So I'm going to have to send it back and order it again. It's a pain in the arse because now it's going to take a while before I get a nice undamaged one.
    Wow sorry to hear that but it's worth the wait. However I do see one of the problems with oversized HC is that they can get damaged easily because of there size. But it does look beautiful. I think I plan on getting it over the summer when I have more money.

I finally got round to watching those Astonishing X-Men motion comics. They were really good. The characters were written really well, which is to be expected from such a groundbreaking run. I'd heard lots about it before and it's nice to finally experience it first hand. I can see why it was so popular. Joss Whedon knew these characters well.

Colossus' reveal was particularly brilliant.

I thought the alien antagonist (I forget his name) was a bit too strong in #2 and I sort of struggled to believe how he could job such powerful X-Men members so easily. I also thought Wolverine and Emma Frost were depicted much weaker than they should have. Emma's psychic ability should have been able to do half the fighting!

It was a good X-Men story. It didn't feel too "kiddy" either. However: Has Joss Whedon ever met a British person before? We do not say "bloody" all the time. In fact we rarely say it. It's a word older gentlemen and women are more likely to say. And in Buffy every British character featured were posh as fuck, occasionally snobby and extremely geeky. Like they're all born with a golden spoon up their arse. Joss Whedon's perception of the British is stuck 50-80 years in the past. It's terrible.

Overall, I had a good time watching it. Thanks a lot.
    Yah I liked it a lot too. Although it is better to read it but watching it does feel better. I don't know much about Emma Frost but wasn't she raised by some Posh family?

Not only is there a big price difference between Omnibuses and Absolutes compared to this, the sizes are different too and offer easily a better reading experience + pimpin out your bookshelf. Wolverine the Adamantium Collection is something you're forced to put on the very bottom and hope your shelf slot is high enough for it. Tsk Plawsky, get a better book shelf!
    Yeah, there's a big price difference, but why draw the line there? There's an even bigger price difference between the omnis/absolutes and the trades. And a lot of people prefer to read trades than a 800 page omnibus. It's all about preference; neither is really more of a rip off than another. If you want a massive coffee table book to check out some huge Wolverine art, this is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    I agree. Those books are bit too large. A normal OSHC is huge but it's not too huge. I just got the Irredeemable Definitive Hardcover through my door today in a parcel and it was about that size. I couldn't believe it. Still, it's a beautiful looking book and it comes in a HC slip cover.
    This Wolverine book is significantly bigger than the Irredeemable HC. That's more similar to the DC Absolute size.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

BANNED

Yah I liked it a lot too. Although it is better to read it but watching it does feel better. I don't know much about Emma Frost but wasn't she raised by some Posh family?
    Yeah I get that cuz that's her character background. But the "bloody hell" stuff was a bit extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    This Wolverine book is significantly bigger than the Irredeemable HC. That's more similar to the DC Absolute size.
    I completely disagree. If it is bigger, it's definetly not significantly. The Irredeemable Deluxe is bigger than my Marvel Encyclopedia. It's gigantic!

Well, Giles was from a old-fashioned high society. Also, I'm pretty sure Spike, in addition to being a centuries old vampire, was not exactly posh, snobby or geeky. Excluding vampires, all of the British characters on Buffy were from the Watcher's Council, so I think that pretty much answers your question for you. It wasn't so much about Joss Whedon's perception of the British is stuck 50-80 years in the past so much as the Watcher's Council was stuck 50-80 years in the past.

Does anyone here watch 30 Rock? Last night's series finale was all sorts of amazing. It's been a great 7 years.
    I just watched the finale. It was great. 30 Rock will be missed. It's right up there with Seinfeld and HIMYM (despite its inconsistency) in my favorite sitcoms.
    Aquaman Aquaman and the Others Batman Batman and Robin Justice League Wonder Woman Star Trek Brilliant Black Science Manifest Destiny Morning Glories Saga Shutter The Wake

Just watched the first two episodes of House of Cards, the new original series on Netflix. I'm really liking it. It's very slow paced, but that's what you'd expect from a political intrigue show. Kevin Spacey is awesome, and the production values are really high. Very worth checking out if you have a Netflix subscription.

I completely disagree. If it is bigger, it's definetly not significantly. The Irredeemable Deluxe is bigger than my Marvel Encyclopedia. It's gigantic!
    There's not really anything to disagree about. The Definitive Irredeemable is 12.7x8.5in, and the Adamantium Collection is 11.5x15.5. That's 60% bigger. It's also more than double the page count. The DC Absolutes are 12.9x8.6 - almost exactly the same as the Irredeemable book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinx View Post
    I just watched the finale. It was great. 30 Rock will be missed. It's right up there with Seinfeld and HIMYM (despite its inconsistency) in my favorite sitcoms.
    I still have fond memories of the early HIMYM days, but it's hard for me to like the series as a whole now. The newest season is just SO bad. I understand that the ratings are high enough for them to justify keeping it around, but they ran out of juice a few years ago. At one time, it was a show committed to long-form storytelling, which is rare - nonexistent, really - in a show with a laugh track. It could have been really great had they just ended it after 5 or 6 years. But since so much of the show really relies on the story of finding the Mother, the earlier seasons are a bit tainted now. It's not like the Office, where you still have the Jim and Pam arc to look back on. You could easily stop watching after their wedding and be satisfied with that ending. You can't really do that with HIMYM though.

That said, it still places pretty high for me for four-camera type shows, due to the generally average-at-best quality of those types of shows. Cheers and Seinfeld will probably always be my top two. I'm also a big Raymond and King of Queens fan. Also Fresh Prince. However, once you bring in one-camera comedies, there's a long list of comedies that go above it. Scrubs, Community, Workaholics, the League, Modern Family...

Man... I watch too much tv.

On Vacation

man... I watch too much tv.
    and you still havent watched battlestar galactica. Get on it man. Lol

and you still havent watched battlestar galactica. Get on it man. Lol
    It's on the shortlist of shows to watch next. The only problem is that it's a 4 season commitment of hourlong episodes. And I've already got a ton of CURRENT tv that I'm watching.

On Vacation

It's on the shortlist of shows to watch next. The only problem is that it's a 4 season commitment of hourlong episodes. And I've already got a ton of CURRENT tv that I'm watching.
    plus the prrquel miniseries. so yah thats a lot i understand. though i would suggest watching the miniseries first and if you like it you can either commit or wait. although i think i mentioned this before but i do think you would like stargate universe more. while galactica is scifi its a lot more drama/action. sgu is a lot like what hickman does. parallel universe/oniopitent beings/ out of control drones. its really fun. and its not like the previous stargates at all. either way you should try out the first episodes.

Yeah, there's a big price difference, but why draw the line there?
    The price isn't the most important aspect, we can agreee there.
    There's an even bigger price difference between the omnis/absolutes and the trades. And a lot of people prefer to read trades than a 800 page omnibus. It's all about preference; neither is really more of a rip off than another. If you want a massive coffee table book to check out some huge Wolverine art, this is the way to go.
    No, No! On the pre assumption how the 75$ AvX OHC was glue binded, not sewn, which makes splash pages and reading in general more difficult, we can also assume the Wolverine Adamantium collection might just go that direction as well, which will make this painful. I'm on the bandwagon who have Miller OHC, Origins OHC + Millar Omnibus ordered. I just can't see any point with the Adamantium collection, mainly due to it's height and weight. I don't see quality in the price.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi.M View Post
    Well, Giles was from a old-fashioned high society. Also, I'm pretty sure Spike, in addition to being a centuries old vampire, was not exactly posh, snobby or geeky. Excluding vampires, all of the British characters on Buffy were from the Watcher's Council, so I think that pretty much answers your question for you. It wasn't so much about Joss Whedon's perception of the British is stuck 50-80 years in the past so much as the Watcher's Council was stuck 50-80 years in the past.
    I mostly agree with you. But Spike is definetly very posh.*

I know he wasn't all that geeky, but what 21st Century badboy wears a leather jacket? Nowadays leather jackets are either for motorcyclists or unconfident kids who are eager to look "cool" and often struggle to fit in socially.

What would would you call a "high society"? I'm not familiar with that term. I think Giles grew up in Oxford and the Watchers Council was situated near the centre of London. Oxford is definetly what I would call an upper class town. So I see what you're saying. But I still think their portrayals were really over the top. Not just in accents but also mannerisms. Wesley and Giles drunk nothing but tea. Why not a can of coke every now and then? * * * *

There's not really anything to disagree about. The Definitive Irredeemable is 12.7x8.5in, and the Adamantium Collection is 11.5x15.5. That's 60% bigger. It's also more than double the page count. The DC Absolutes are 12.9x8.6 - almost exactly the same as the Irredeemable book.
    Sure there is. I disagree with the significance. I'm not that great at maths but I know 11.5x15.5 is definetly not 60% larger than 12.7x8.5. If you hold both Hardcovers up beside one another, the Adamantium Collection is merely a few inches wider, and they are both almost exactly the same height. Both bigger than the Marvel Encyclopedia. My point was that they're gigantic and are much, much bigger than any Over Sized Hardcover I've seen.

It might be the start of a new trend; different comicbook companies competing to standout by releasing ridiculously large compendiums. They'll certainly stand out more prominently on a shelf. * *

Why are we even arguing something like this? It feels rather pretentious. I really couldn't care less.*

The price isn't the most important aspect, we can agreee there.

No, No! On the pre assumption how the 75$ AvX OHC was glue binded, not sewn, which makes splash pages and reading in general more difficult, we can also assume the Wolverine Adamantium collection might just go that direction as well, which will make this painful. I'm on the bandwagon who have Miller OHC, Origins OHC + Millar Omnibus ordered. I just can't see any point with the Adamantium collection, mainly due to it's height and weight. I don't see quality in the price.
    Well we can't really comment on the binding until we find out some more info. I certainly wouldn't pay $140 for it, but I can see why people would. If they did a collection like this for Ultimates 1 and 2 though, I could see myself buying it. Or pretty much anything drawn by Alex Ross. I don't think this kind of book is for a comfortable reading experience. It's so you can say to people "HEY LOOK AT MY BIG ASS WOLVERINE BOOK!"

Sure there is. I disagree with the significance. I'm not that great at maths but I know 11.5x15.5 is definetly not 60% larger than 12.7x8.5. If you hold both Hardcovers up beside one another, the Adamantium Collection is merely a few inches wider, and they are both almost exactly the same height. Both bigger than the Marvel Encyclopedia. My point was that they're gigantic and are much, much bigger than any Over Sized Hardcover I've seen.

It might be the start of a new trend; different comicbook companies competing to standout by releasing ridiculously large compendiums. They'll certainly stand out more prominently on a shelf. * *

Why are we even arguing something like this? It feels rather pretentious. I really couldn't care less.*
    I'm not arguing about it; I'm just saying if you think the Irredeemable HC is big, this one is even bigger. And yes, it is 60% bigger, I know my math is right. Again, that's not an argument, just a comparison between those two books. Here's a rough comparison of the size difference, if you were to put the Wolverine book behind the Irredeemable one:

I still have fond memories of the early HIMYM days, but it's hard for me to like the series as a whole now. The newest season is just SO bad. I understand that the ratings are high enough for them to justify keeping it around, but they ran out of juice a few years ago. At one time, it was a show committed to long-form storytelling, which is rare - nonexistent, really - in a show with a laugh track. It could have been really great had they just ended it after 5 or 6 years. But since so much of the show really relies on the story of finding the Mother, the earlier seasons are a bit tainted now. It's not like the Office, where you still have the Jim and Pam arc to look back on. You could easily stop watching after their wedding and be satisfied with that ending. You can't really do that with HIMYM though.

That said, it still places pretty high for me for four-camera type shows, due to the generally average-at-best quality of those types of shows. Cheers and Seinfeld will probably always be my top two. I'm also a big Raymond and King of Queens fan. Also Fresh Prince. However, once you bring in one-camera comedies, there's a long list of comedies that go above it. Scrubs, Community, Workaholics, the League, Modern Family...

Man... I watch too much tv.
    King of Queens was a very underrated show. A bunch of my friends really hate Kevin James, but his show was great.

I don't really understand the difference between one and four-camera shows, other than the obvious difference in cameras. What sets them apart?
    Aquaman Aquaman and the Others Batman Batman and Robin Justice League Wonder Woman Star Trek Brilliant Black Science Manifest Destiny Morning Glories Saga Shutter The Wake