Page 133 of 824 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233633 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 12359

Anyone else looking forward to LEGO LOTR?

"Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

I'm reading too many books at once; it's starting to mess with my head.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    I'm reading too many books at once; it's starting to mess with my head.

You starting to see things?

You wishing you were a super hero?
    Any scientist who isn't willing to kill for science isn't really a scientist at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    You starting to see things?

You wishing you were a super hero?
    Nah, I'm not that bad yet; I'm reading so many different series in such a mix of formats that I feel a sense of anxiety over the mental clutter it's created.

So over in Wolverine and the X-Men, there's a new character who turns into a shark. The posters on the X-forums have begun referring to her as "Shark Tits." I have to say, that's extremely offensive to me. It's misogynistic and crude. The worst part is, I'm like the only poster there who seems bothered by/has raised objection to it.*
    ~Gregory Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    So over in Wolverine and the X-Men, there's a new character who turns into a shark. The posters on the X-forums have begun referring to her as "Shark Tits." I have to say, that's extremely offensive to me. It's misogynistic and crude. The worst part is, I'm like the only poster there who seems bothered by/has raised objection to it.*
    I can appreciate your sentiment, but I'm compelled to remind you that this is an online message board. If people have an opportunity to say things online that would not be acceptable to say in casual conversation, they'll say it. That's just the nature of the internet. And let's face it, Shark Tits is not even close to the most misogynistic and crude thing ever said on this message board.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

BANNED

Misogynistic describes a male who holds very little respect for females.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I can appreciate your sentiment, but I'm compelled to remind you that this is an online message board. If people have an opportunity to say things online that would not be acceptable to say in casual conversation, they'll say it. That's just the nature of the internet. And let's face it, Shark Tits is not even close to the most misogynistic and crude thing ever said on this message board.
    I guess you're right. It's just depressing that people think it's okay to refer to a woman like that, fictional or no- especially one who's probably younger than sixteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    Misogynistic describes a male who holds very little respect for females.
    Exactly. I think referring to a teenage girl by her breasts is a fitting case of misogyny. It'd be like calling a female doctor "Scrub-Boobs." Offensive and inappropriate.

On another note, I just watched "The Duchess." Fantastic movie.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duchess-poster-0.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	104458
    ~Gregory Maguire

On Vacation

Malekith & the Dark Elves from Thor 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinx View Post
    All of these covers look great! I'm ready for February!
    Here's a really cool Marvel February one:

Funny-trickster Joker is fun, but overdone; creepy-serial-killer Joker is a refreshing change IMO.
    Not to mention it's going back to the roots. Scott Snyder loves Frank Miller, and Miller went old school with Joker too with his take. However the jokes Snyder has written for Joker are terrible, not because of execution but having Joker explain them, thats not how you do it!

Why? They're just making fun of the way the artist/whoever-designed-the-character decided to represent the character. Can you really blame the fans for that?
    I agree and prefer the evil Joker that is being used currently, but the Mark Hamil Joker still has his charm. Given how great this story has been thus far, I hope this is something else DC turns into one of their animated features. They're already working on Flashpoint. I think this would be a logical choice since Joker stories are often popular themes of Batman animated features. Although they would probably have to water down some parts, namely the Joker having a cut off his face.
    It's not a "Mark Hamill Joker" it's the 70s Dennis O'Neill Joker, thats what inspired Dini and Timm with Joker.

Joker having his face cut off wouldn't effect the pg-13 point, but story wise having so many Robins might get rather clungy. I'd personally remove Damian and maybe even Tim Drake. Just let it be about Batman, Nightwing, Batgirl + Red Hood.

Do you guys prefer to fill out your collections by picking up trades or by tracking down back issues?
    Trades.

Anyone here following the current Death of the Family arc in the Batman comics. It's been a while since I've closely followed the Batman comics. I didn't really get heavily into Court of the Owls. But after reading Batman #13, I've been totally hooked on this arc. The Joker is a great character and one of the best villains of all time, but there are times when I find stories that involve him to be overly goofy. This is not one of those stories. Not only does he have a very creepy and re-attached face, but he seems to have an entirely new approach to tormenting Batman. He's a Joker that has more of the Dark Knight elements, which I think has made the story all the more compelling. Anyone else here feel the same way? Or do they miss the more playful Joker as some have said on the Batman forum?
    New approach to tormenting Batman? Grant Morrison had Alfred kidnapped and beaten to a pulp years before Snyder. However it is Snyder that's having Batman act like the bitch he is.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

BANNED

Exactly. I think referring to a teenage girl by her breasts is a fitting case of misogyny. It'd be like calling a female doctor "Scrub-Boobs." Offensive and inappropriate.
    What if a woman called a 'male shark character': "Shark-Dick"?

Put it this way. For arguments sake, say a girl on this forum called you a d**k head. And then RockyBanks said it was offensive to refer to a man as a penis. I would find that pretty silly of him. Calling the new X-Men character 'Shark-Tits' is certainly offensive to the character, it's also very crude and quite... immature.. but if a girl was ever to call it sexist, I'd say that she's wrong and that it's mad for her to assume such a thing. In my opinon, I don't think the argument should be so bias or one-sided. Also, If a male poster was to call a female poster sexist because she called another male poster a knob or something, I'd think it was pretty silly for him to make that evaluation.

I strongly believe in equality. I can't stand misogynists. And vise-versa, I also can't stand feminists. Their point of views are distorted and very innacurate. I think the behaviours and the general pessimistic perspective upon an opposite sex are uncaring, spiteful and prejudice for both genders. I don't have time for women's rights, black rights, spanish rights, caucasian rights, german rights, or different rights for different "minorities". Hell, if you've got ginger hair you're a minority. I think the answer is simple. Equal rights for every human being on the planet. I don't mean this to sound sexist but; women in today's society have more rights than men both legally and socially. And they are defended way too much by horny (which equals lonely, emotional and more caring than usual ) men who want to show their respect. But regardless of male feelings, it's basically all to do with how we are taught and the information we recieve. I know it may seem correct if a lot of people are doing the same thing as you, but humans generally accept what they consider normality, and they think exactly how they're brought up to think, no matter how illogical it may be. The human mind can't rationalise without information. One thing I've noticed recently is that people's values are much more interested in diversity than equality. For example, that there should be more black people writing comics, and so forth, when in actual fact, if more black people wanted to write comics, I'm sure we'd have more of them in the industry. What's important is that there is equal opportunity for all people to write comics, which there is. Black guys have just as much right to write comics as White guys. So that's ok. I believe 'equality' is a much more accurate way of looking at things than 'diversity'. I'm rambling now. I apologise. Just take this as my personal thoughts on a very popular topic.
    Last edited by Robbie_Jee; 11-18-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added the word 'Also' to a sentence for clarity

What if a woman called a 'male shark character': "Shark-Dick"?
    I'd probably have the same reaction, honestly. XD
    Put it this way. For arguments sake, say a girl on this forum called you a d**k head. And then RockyBanks said it was offensive to refer to a man as a penis. I would find that pretty silly of him. Calling the new X-Men character 'Shark-Tits' is certainly offensive to the character, it's also very crude and quite... immature.. but if a girl was ever to call it sexist, I'd say that she's wrong and that it's mad for her to assume such a thing. In my opinon, I don't think the argument should be so bias or one-sided. Also, If a male poster was to call a female poster sexist because she called another male poster a knob or something, I'd think it was pretty silly for him to make that evaluation.

I strongly believe in equality. I can't stand misogynists. And vise-versa, I also can't stand feminists. Their point of views are distorted and very innacurate. I think the behaviours and the general pessimistic perspective upon an opposite sex are uncaring, spiteful and prejudice for both genders. I don't have time for women's rights, black rights, spanish rights, caucasian rights, german rights, or different rights for different "minorities". Hell, if you've got ginger hair you're a minority. I think the answer is simple. Equal rights for every human being on the planet. I don't mean this to sound sexist but; women in today's society have more rights than men both legally and socially. And they are defended way too much by horny (which equals lonely, emotional and more caring than usual ) men who want to show their respect. But regardless of male feelings, it's basically all to do with how we are taught and the information we recieve. I know it may seem correct if a lot of people are doing the same thing as you, but humans generally accept what they consider normality, and they think exactly how they're brought up to think, no matter how illogical it may be. The human mind can't rationalise without information. One thing I've noticed recently is that people's values are much more interested in diversity than equality. For example, that there should be more black people writing comics, and so forth, when in actual fact, if more black people wanted to write comics, I'm sure we'd have more of them in the industry. What's important is that there is equal opportunity for all people to write comics, which there is. Black guys have just as much right to write comics as White guys. So that's ok. I believe 'equality' is a much more accurate way of looking at things than 'diversity'. I'm rambling now. I apologise. Just take this as my personal thoughts on a very popular topic.
    Interesting stuff to think about.
    ~Gregory Maguire

I guess you're right. It's just depressing that people think it's okay to refer to a woman like that, fictional or no- especially one who's probably younger than sixteen.
    People are going to be immature, especially on the internet when they can get away with it. There's no way around it. The way I see it, there are far worse things they could call her. That's why I try to have a sense of humor about it. You'll find it's much less depressing if you allow yourself to laugh at other peoples' immaturity. It makes you feel more hopeful about the human race.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Anyone got big Thanksgiving plans?

On Vacation

Anyone got big Thanksgiving plans?
    Nah I still have to work so that sucks. At least we got comics this week.