Page 128 of 824 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228628 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 12359
  1. #1906
    of Earth-1610 RockyBanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    I used to feel the need to like football because most of my friends like it. In the UK, football seems to be the only general consensus of conformity. Now, I just say I don't like it. I simply cannot be bothered to sit down for ninety minutes just to watch a ball go up and down a pitch. In fact, I normally can't sit still for that long for anything. But that's my personal opinon. But in the UK, if you go up to anyone and say something about the The Walking Dead, the chances are, nobody will have a clue what you're talkiing about.

    In the UK, there isn't really much of a general consensus of anything, except for maybe football.

    I HATE television and the sheer amount of shit that's on it. Especially when adverts pop up every ten minutes, trying to sell you stuff you don't want. It pisses me off, to the point where I end up smashing up the TV with uncontrollable rage.. Why is it when you're watching something, buisnesses are always advertising meaningless shit at you. I'm like 'Leave me the fuck alone! No, I don't want want to buy your product. No, I don't want to watch actresses who only have a job because they have a nice loooking chest. No, I'm not hungry. No, I don't have problems with my vagina. No, I'm don't need 100 different types of detergent that supposedly removes all stains. No, I don't want to always have to choose between Coke and Pepsi. No, I don't want to watch an entire season of sport, only for it all to restart the next year. No I don't want to vote for something in which I have absolutely no clue what decisions I'm voting voting for. No, I don't want car insurance, when you're all ripping me off anyway. No, I don't want to advocate a holiday tradition without a good reason for it. Leave me alone!!!

    If I'm at home, I'm either on the Internet talking to you guys, making phone calls to different council members or sometimes playing my Playstation. The rest of the time, I'm out, either at work or with friends.

    Looking at America from an outside perspective, I'm staggered by how much general consensus there is. Everyone seems part of a stereotyped group of interests. There must be a lot of peer presure to like everything, and I imagine it must be pretty strenuous trying to watch so much TV and so many internet videos all the time. I just imagine everyone in doors watching TV and when they go out to see friends, all they talk about is what TV they've watched. I would go mad if I had to sit down and watch so much TV, especially with all the commercials popping up every ten minutes.

    The Walking Dead is one of the only things I like watching, but I'm not sure if that's only because I read the comics. But still, thank you America for providing something I actually like on TV. Not many countries can manage that. However my biggest complaint, is that after watching just ten measly minutes of it, more fucking advertisments keep trying to sell you stuff. I really cannot be bothered to sit there doing nothing, waiting for a programme to come back on. I feel like every time I watch TV, I'm mostly just flicking through channels trying to find something reasonably good, but all I can find is adverts on like 70% of the channels.
    Ads don't bother me as badly now thanks to my DVR. I can just fast-forward through them. However, ads really bother me in comic books.

  2. #1907
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Sales Estimates - 10/2012 A few things that stand out to me:


    Uncanny Avengers just barely cracks the 300k mark, but falls about 10% short of the 335k what Walking Dead #100 did, sealing the deal for WD as the #1 seller of the year.

    Avengers vs X-Men finishes its run with yet another top selling issue, giving the series spots 3 through 14 on the year's top seller list (#0 will be at 16, behind Batman #0, DC's top book so far this year). The only thing left that could change that is ASM #700.

    Marvel recovers from DC's 0 Month to take a commanding lead, thanks largely (entirely, really) to the big push on Uncanny Avengers and the end of AvX.

    Batman still kills everyone else in sales - 2 books in the top 10, 5 in the top 20; and that's just his solo books (and one duo). The main book took a huge jump up thanks to Death of a Family, helping keep its spot as DC's number one book. Morrison's Batman Inc, though, continues to fall, now at #19. That's still a great spot, obviously, but it's only the #5 Batman book now.

    Thanks to an extremely healthy amount of older trades, DC continues to dominate trade sales, but Walking Dead keeps Image closely behind (and with a much higher average sales per unit).

    Before Watchmen is falling fast, with the top issue - Rorschach #2 - at 25.

    The Ultimate books, unsurprisingly, continue falling as well. Spider-man at 53 and 57, Ultimates at 87, Iron Man at 93, and X-Men at 99 and 101. Keep in mind that double shipping has pushed books farther down the list, but that's still unfortunate. They won't be cancelled anytime soon, but the odds of seeing a new title launch seem to be low. That said, Ultimate Spider-man is Marvel's #3 solo book, behind only ASM and Cap.

    ------

    It's really interesting to see how much different the market is now than it was even a year ago. The types of books that tear up the charts - especially from Marvel - have changed. Marvel has put a lot more focus on their team books - 5 Avengers and 6 X-Men team books in the top 100. It will be interesting to see how Marvel Now performs, and how Marvel changes things going forward. AvX was a huge success, but I'm not sure they'll be able to keep it up.

    Fortunately for all of us, though, it seems the event season is finally over! Marvel's the clear winner, as far as sales go, considering DC's only effort was Before Watchmen, and it really seemed like they didn't try hyping that too much. We'll see how things go for Trinity War next year, and whatever Marvel has planned.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  3. #1908
    Just kick it Jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chi-Town
    Posts
    9,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Oh I thought Archer was back already - that's good. Season 3 still isn't on Netflix. I love that show; probably the most consistently funny cartoon I've watched. Only South Park would compete, really. It's weird, though, because it doesn't really rely on being a cartoon; it's got a lot of slapstick and a WHOLE lot of wordplay, almost anything in it could be a live action show, but it's even more awesome because it's a cartoon.
    Well it has been forever since I saw it. But I recently checked and either I completely missed it but I don't think any new episodes are airing on tv just yet. On this I'm always welcomed to be wrong because I want new episodes now.

    As for South Park, there last episode "Obama Wins" wasn't that funny. I was hoping for another "Ocean's 11" episode but I got them burning votes. And Morgan Freeman appearing out of thin air.

    Sure you can argue that they set it up but it just wasn't working for me.

    Mainly, because I don't think Star Wars is in any worser hands then Disney. In fact, it could be argued that they are in better hands now.
    Or more to the point, isn't George Lucas in jail in that universe for rapping a Storm Trooper?

    That's what I love about South Park. Social Commentary can't be beat.


    Nope. The closest I get to news is the Daily Show or Colbert. Or, I suppose, HBO's The Newsroom, which was pretty solid.
    If you ever get some free time, look up "The Young Turks with Cenk Uygur"

    He's not a news comedy like John or Stephen but he's has an energy that makes his show attractive.
    Any scientist who isn't willing to kill for science isn't really a scientist at all.

  4. #1909
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    That's what I love about South Park. Social Commentary can't be beat.
    Yeah, that's exactly what's so great about South Park. They put out their episodes in six days... no other (non-live) show does that. And since they air on Wednesdays, that means their election episodes are done in less than 24 hours. Granted, I'm sure a lot of it would have been the same no matter who won, but they use actual quotes from speeches, and the people standing behind Obama were even accurate to real life. This turnaround allows them to be the only comedy show that can actually stay current with its satire. If another show wants to make a joke about current events, it'll show up in a few months; South Park does it in a week. Sure, Family Guy can do a quick cutaway gag quickly, but they can't do a whole episode... those manatees need time to write!

    I actually haven't watched any of this season's South Park yet. I've got a buddy who I watch it with, but we've both been to busy to actually sit down and do it yet.

    If you ever get some free time, look up "The Young Turks with Cenk Uygur"

    He's not a news comedy like John or Stephen but he's has an energy that makes his show attractive.
    I may just have to check that out.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  5. #1910
    On Vacation
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    Rumour: Darth Vader To Come Back From The Dead For Episode 7
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/...for-episode-7/
    The story of the Star Wars movies so far has been the story of Darth Vader, narrated from the margins by a pair of droids. The tin twosome made it out of Return of the Jedi intact, but the last time we saw Vader, or perhaps more properly Anakin Skywalker, he was on his funeral pyre.

    Or at least it looked that way – and this seemed to be cemented when one or the other of his ghosts popped up for a bit of a Bye Bye moment.

    But a new rumour has it that Darth Vader will return in the next episode of the series, and presumably see out the whole new trilogy. It would make a certain amount of structural, thematic and narrative sense…

    …though, on the other hand, this rumour comes from The Daily Express (via Slashfilm). There’s a legacy of just making stuff up with the British press so it’s always tempting to dismiss their stories, but let’s look at this one for a moment.

    It would feel quite brazenly like the total retcon it is to bring back Vader. Just like the double-barrelled retcons where he was made the father of Luke, and then later the father of Leia. Or the retcon that revealed he built one of those greek chorus droids out of junk when he was a kid.

    Vader is one of the best, most striking images in the series, thanks to Ralph McQuarrie’s design and Brian Muir’s costume – and Lucas’ decision to keep him in the mask throughout, not just when he needed a space suit. I can see why they’d want to get that piece back into play.

    I’d want to get that piece back into play.

    Far be it from me to tell Michael Arndt and Kathleen Kennedy their business, but if this were up to me, I’d just take the hit, get Vader back on the callsheet and make sure what I did with him after this justified it. Turn in a cracking film and “Surprise! That was an empty suit on the fire! The ghost was an astral projection! Sort of!” will soon be forgiven. Even better: Boba Fett could be fished out of the Sarlacc Pit in the same flurry of “creative restructuring.” Who wouldn’t want that?

    So, okay – if they don’t bring back Vader, what will they do? Surely a new Sith Lord or other Big Evil is just going to make this third trilogy seem a bit… er… tacked on? Um. Yeah. Funny that.

    Star Wars: Episode 7 is due in 2015. Michael Arndt makes me feel very good about it. Now can we have Gary Ross officially announced as the director? Thanks.

  6. #1911
    Back to formula?! Sinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    3,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    Do you guys ever feel a strong sense of peer pressure about the movies and TV shows you watch?

    I often feel like I'm the only guy at the watercooler who's not in the "Really Really Good TV Club". I've taken a peek at the big shows--Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story, Boardwalk Empire, etc--but none of them have grabbed me. It makes me wonder if my heavy Diet Coke consumption has warped my tastes in TV.

    I listened to a podcast earlier today where some culture writers talked about "opting out" of major cultural phenomena, and how many people on the outside of such a happening tend to guard themselves by feigning knowledge of the material. (Say, for example, you're the only guy in the civilized world who hasn't read the Harry Potter series, so you pick up enough knowledge through casual conversation to at least pretend that you're not an outsider.)

    Is it okay to be a poseur to shield yourself against isolation? Or should everyone take the moral/ethical high road and freely confess our distaste for, say, the Walking Dead?
    A bunch of my friends watch all of those shows you mentioned, but I really don't feel much pressure to watch them. I watch Breaking Bad and Dexter, but none of the others. I'm also pretty vocal about not liking The Walking Dead show.
    Aquaman • Aquaman and the Others • Batman • Batman and Robin • Justice League • Wonder Woman • Star Trek • Brilliant • Black Science • Manifest Destiny • Morning Glories • Saga • Shutter • The Wake

  7. #1912
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    Do you guys ever feel a strong sense of peer pressure about the movies and TV shows you watch?

    I often feel like I'm the only guy at the watercooler who's not in the "Really Really Good TV Club". I've taken a peek at the big shows--Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story, Boardwalk Empire, etc--but none of them have grabbed me. It makes me wonder if my heavy Diet Coke consumption has warped my tastes in TV.

    I listened to a podcast earlier today where some culture writers talked about "opting out" of major cultural phenomena, and how many people on the outside of such a happening tend to guard themselves by feigning knowledge of the material. (Say, for example, you're the only guy in the civilized world who hasn't read the Harry Potter series, so you pick up enough knowledge through casual conversation to at least pretend that you're not an outsider.)

    Is it okay to be a poseur to shield yourself against isolation? Or should everyone take the moral/ethical high road and freely confess our distaste for, say, the Walking Dead?
    If you're not watching Breaking Bad, you're wrong. It's that simple.

    But yeah, I've definitely been part of that before. It's usually not with TV though, since I watch it all.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  8. #1913
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Rumour: Darth Vader To Come Back From The Dead For Episode 7
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/...for-episode-7/
    I take any rumor I read right now with several grains of salt. I don't think they'll ruin the character arc for Vader by bringing him back. The better question is - will they acknowledge the post OT things that the EU has set up?

    Also, I can't take the writer of that article seriously. Even people who don't know anything about the EU should know that Bobba Fett escapes the Sarlacc Pit.

    Besides - why do we need Vader? I get that the six movies are, in a way, a mega arc for Vader that follows his rise, fall, and eventual redemption. But only the second half of that story is really any good. There's no need to follow tradition when the tradition sucks. Seeing Vader as a child or angsty teen did nothing for me; I don't care to see him as an old man, either. Following Ben Skywalker would be a much better idea, if they're going to stick with the Skywalker family. Then you have three trilogies for three generations of Skywalkers. From what I understand, he had some daddy issues, too - so it would make perfect sense.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  9. #1914
    On Vacation
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    I take any rumor I read right now with several grains of salt. I don't think they'll ruin the character arc for Vader by bringing him back. The better question is - will they acknowledge the post OT things that the EU has set up?

    Also, I can't take the writer of that article seriously. Even people who don't know anything about the EU should know that Bobba Fett escapes the Sarlacc Pit.

    Besides - why do we need Vader? I get that the six movies are, in a way, a mega arc for Vader that follows his rise, fall, and eventual redemption. But only the second half of that story is really any good. There's no need to follow tradition when the tradition sucks. Seeing Vader as a child or angsty teen did nothing for me; I don't care to see him as an old man, either. Following Ben Skywalker would be a much better idea, if they're going to stick with the Skywalker family. Then you have three trilogies for three generations of Skywalkers. From what I understand, he had some daddy issues, too - so it would make perfect sense.
    I'm not sure why they can't use Luke. With all the technological advances all they really need is his voice. Or they can fallow the Star Wars Legacy route and use Cade Skywalker which would make much more sense. It decades after the death of Luke and it introduces old sith concepts instead of the rule of two. It would appeal to both the old school star wars fans and the ones that like the semi-new/old republic fans.

  10. #1915
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    I'm not sure why they can't use Luke. With all the technological advances all they really need is his voice. Or they can fallow the Star Wars Legacy route and use Cade Skywalker which would make much more sense. It decades after the death of Luke and it introduces old sith concepts instead of the rule of two. It would appeal to both the old school star wars fans and the ones that like the semi-new/old republic fans.
    I'd be against using Luke as the main protagonist for two reasons -

    1) He already had his big arc in the original trilogy
    2) Recasting Luke means recasting Leia and Han as well, and those are all bad ideas

    The technology isn't there to only use Hammil's voice. If they're going to use a young Luke, I'd much rather just have a recast than a CGI Luke.

    The reason I'd go for Ben Skywalker over Cade is mostly because having three consecutive generations makes sense for the story progression. Plus, it would allow Hammil, Fisher, and Ford to reprise their roles if they wanted that to still be a possibility. Cade could work, but I think casual fans would much rather see something from the characters and time period they're more familiar with than something set far in the future.

    The other option, of course, is to use one of the Skywalkers in between Ben and Cade that there aren't stories for yet. That would allow them to play in some uncharted territories of the EU without having to acknowledge much of what's already there.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  11. #1916
    On Vacation
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    I'd be against using Luke as the main protagonist for two reasons -

    1) He already had his big arc in the original trilogy
    2) Recasting Luke means recasting Leia and Han as well, and those are all bad ideas

    The technology isn't there to only use Hammil's voice. If they're going to use a young Luke, I'd much rather just have a recast than a CGI Luke.

    The reason I'd go for Ben Skywalker over Cade is mostly because having three consecutive generations makes sense for the story progression. Plus, it would allow Hammil, Fisher, and Ford to reprise their roles if they wanted that to still be a possibility. Cade could work, but I think casual fans would much rather see something from the characters and time period they're more familiar with than something set far in the future.

    The other option, of course, is to use one of the Skywalkers in between Ben and Cade that there aren't stories for yet. That would allow them to play in some uncharted territories of the EU without having to acknowledge much of what's already there.
    If done right the CGI is actually pretty good. Sometimes it's better then live-action. Take a look at the Trailers for the Old Republic MMO and the trailers for Star wars the force unleashed. If they actually made movies like that I wouldn't mind at all. Plus I think Mark Hammil has been typecast. I can't see anyone else playing Luke. But that being said Men In Black 3 did surprise me with the acting of Josh Brolin. He was pretty convincing. So there is hope that someone is similar. I do agree with you on the three consecutive generations part because it makes sense. Hopefully they make a TV series out of Star Wars Legacy. The comics were fairly compressed to turn it into three films.


  12. #1917
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    CGI is getting a lot better, sure, but it's still no replacement for an actual actor. It can work for non humans pretty well - aliens, robots, animals, even armored people like Storm Troopers - but it just doesn't work right for replacing people. CGI movies are great, but they're not Star Wars. If they went full CGI for Star Wars VII, it would be a massive change in the feel of the series. For all its faults, the prequel trilogy still used a lot of practical set pieces and costumes, which helped it look like a Star Wars movie. Plus, it would be extremely expensive to do an entire 2-hour movie, let alone an entire trilogy, like that.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  13. #1918
    On Vacation
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    CGI is getting a lot better, sure, but it's still no replacement for an actual actor. It can work for non humans pretty well - aliens, robots, animals, even armored people like Storm Troopers - but it just doesn't work right for replacing people. CGI movies are great, but they're not Star Wars. If they went full CGI for Star Wars VII, it would be a massive change in the feel of the series. For all its faults, the prequel trilogy still used a lot of practical set pieces and costumes, which helped it look like a Star Wars movie. Plus, it would be extremely expensive to do an entire 2-hour movie, let alone an entire trilogy, like that.
    Personally I have no problems with cgi characters even when it involves human skin. Sure it will never look completely real but sometimes it's even better because actors usually have imperfections. Believe it or not I do believe that full-length HD cgi (not pixar cgi) can be done. Sure it's expensive but not as expensive as you think. If you have watched (Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole by Zach Snyder the guy who did watchmen and now doing Man of Steel which I recommend watching) cost $80 million dollars and was rendered completely in cgi. Compare it to Avatar which was almost completely CGI it was $237 million. Avatar was longer so that might be why. They could do a star wars trilogy in complete cgi if they wanted to but movies like Avatar show that people will always want that human feel to it. I'm indifferent. I would watch it either way so long as the story is good.
    Last edited by sage6paths; 11-13-2012 at 12:07 PM.

  14. #1919
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Personally I have no problems with cgi characters even when it involves human skin. Sure it will never look completely real but sometimes it's even better because actors usually have imperfections. Believe it or not I do believe that full-length HD cgi (not pixar cgi) can be done. Sure it's expensive but not as expensive as you think. If you have watched (Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole by Zach Snyder the guy who did watchmen and now doing Man of Steel which I recommend watching) cost $80 million dollars and was rendered completely in cgi. Compare it to Avatar which was almost completely CGI it was $237 million. Avatar was longer so that might be why. They could do a star wars trilogy in complete cgi if they wanted to but movies like Avatar show that people will always want that human feel to it. I'm indifferent. I would watch it either way so long as the story is good.
    Legend of the Guardians is about owls though, not humans. It's a lot easier to realistically animate owls than it is to realistically animate humans. The reason Avatar was so much more expensive is because the Navi were humanoids, not animals. There is a whole lot more to animate when it comes to facial features, expressions, and movement in general. When an owl is sad or happy, they can pretty much just make up what that expression looks like and animate it that way. But we know how humans look, how they move, how they react, so making it realistic is much more challenging and expensive. Legends of the Guardians works because it's about animals; and even then, it doesn't necessarily look real.

    That's not to say CGI movies aren't good. I have no problem with them. But there's a HUGE difference between CGI and real actors.

    If they want to make Star Wars look real, they have to use real people, there's no other way to do it. As great as the animation is in the Force Unleashed trailer or in other video game cutscenes - Halo 4, for instance - it can't look real, at least not yet.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  15. #1920
    of Earth-1610 RockyBanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    The reason I'd go for Ben Skywalker over Cade is mostly because having three consecutive generations makes sense for the story progression. Plus, it would allow Hammil, Fisher, and Ford to reprise their roles if they wanted that to still be a possibility. Cade could work, but I think casual fans would much rather see something from the characters and time period they're more familiar with than something set far in the future.
    I completely agree, but I'd want to find a way to tie Anakin into the third trilogy, even if he only appears in spirit form. I'm kind of a stickler for the "Vader mega-arc".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •