Issue 5 out today!
I enjoyed this issue quite a bit. Some quick thoughts:
end of spoilers
- Interesting seeing the difference in fathers in the book. Donald was a terrible father last issue and Brit was an excellent father this issue. I'll bet anyone with a special needs kid teared up a bit during Brit's speech. Hell, I almost did. And it was a clever way to give some character background to new readers (although Hester didn't get Monster Girl's aging situation quite right).
- Enjoy the new villain a lot more now that they revealed it's Set's brother. Thought that was pretty interesting. And his powers are going to be hard to defend against.
- Didn't the Outrun sleeping around story start in the first mini before the destruction of Paris? But in this issue they said she momentarily possessed Knock Out in Paris so she was only in Outrun part time. Wouldn't Outrun have remembered sleeping with everyone in between the possessions?
- Loved Zandale's scene with Mauler. Cracked me up.
Overall, really enjoying the series. Nauck's art is nice, there's a good balance between character moments and action, and the character voices are all pretty much spot on. Only complaint is that the cast is so large it seems like it's hard to service each character much each issue.
This is like, my favourite super hero book every month. But I have to echo what capuga said...there seemed to be a mix-up with how Monster Girl's powers work.
http://thepuremood.com/ PURE MOOD PULL LIST + PURE MOOD PODCAST...new shows once a week!
Weekly features include back-issue reviews, CD's, Art of books, and more!
Issue 6 is out today. Last issue of this series before it's relaunched in April as Invincible Universe. Spoilers follow:
I thought this was a solid way to wrap up this story line. Continues to show what a powerful and dangerous villain that Set is going to continue to be for the Guardians. Also like that Hester was able to make it seem like this was all long manipulation by Set to get Brit in position to use against his brother. Nauck's work looks really nice again, he gets a better grasp on the characters each issue. Some quick thoughts:
- Holy crap, Kid Thor is dead. :shock:
- The theme of the Guardians working as a team unit together continues.
- Couple of nice emotional beats in the issue. Both of them with Brit. The rescue scene with the woman in the collapsed building was fairly touching, as was his family time at the end of the issue.
- How long will Set be gone for this time? Since he got the upper hand on his brother, will we see Thoth again?
- Looks like Kid Thor is probably not dead. Looks like the same issue death and resurrection thing is going to be an Inivincible universe trademark. ;) I am glad that it looks like he'll still be around though.
Enjoyed it like usual. Can't wait to check out Invincible Universe. Sounds like that will be pretty awesome.
I liked it quite a bit myself. I really enjoyed the point made where they decided to not just run into the fight like idiots and punch the problems away. I also am glad Kid Thor will continue to be around, as even though I don't know too much about him, I liked the idea of him and how he looked.
I'm guessing there will be some Invincible Universe stuff centered on him, as I remember a mention made by Hester that Kid Thor was going to have something big happening to him before this issue came out.
I continue to really love what they're doing with GtG/Invincible Universe.
Image: Chew, Invincible, Skullkickers, Invincible Universe, Revival
IDW: TMNT, MTMTE, G.I. Joe
Red 5: Atomic Robo
Marvel: Thor: GoT, JIM, Powers, Scarlet Spider