Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK: Ross' Fully Painted "Masks" #1 Pages

Dynamite Entertainment has provided CBR with an exclusive preview of Alex Ross' fully painted pages for "Masks" #1 written by Chris Roberson. The pulp team-up begins in November.

Full article here.

Holy sweet motherf*****!
    That's Alex best paintings since Kingdom Come!
    Hey, look, it is Bruce Lee Kato, yippee!!!
    Imagine the whole pages of this special first issue.

Might buy this since I like GH, Kato and Shadow

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

This interior artwork is just as good as I expected it to be, the painting is phenomenal and Alex Ross has really outdone himself once again! I can't wait for this mini-series to come out, I've been loving all of the Dynamite pulp books and having everyone collected into a singular series should be absolutely stunning, can't wait to own it!

Default Dynamite: Masks

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    This interior artwork is just as good as I expected it to be, the painting is phenomenal and Alex Ross has really outdone himself once again! I can't wait for this mini-series to come out, I've been loving all of the Dynamite pulp books and having everyone collected into a singular series should be absolutely stunning, can't wait to own it!
    I really like the core idea behind this but I think the roster is way over extended and should have been cut back to GH,Kato,Shadow and Spider.In fact I still say the missing component really is Doc Savage and it wouldn't hurt to bring the Phantom in.These other characters just don't interest me at this time,but at least it avoids the "everything but the kitchen sink"approach in Prophecy.Black Bat,Miss Fury,I would save for the inevitable mini arc spun off from this thing that you know Dynamite will end up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    I really like the core idea behind this but I think the roster is way over extended and should have been cut back to GH,Kato,Shadow and Spider.In fact I still say the missing component really is Doc Savage and it wouldn't hurt to bring the Phantom in.These other characters just don't interest me at this time,but at least it avoids the "everything but the kitchen sink"approach in Prophecy.Black Bat,Miss Fury,I would save for the inevitable mini arc spun off from this thing that you know Dynamite will end up doing.
    Which Phantom? Lee Falk's? the Phantom "Detective"? I could see the second, but the first would really require some extra storytelling logistics. I don't think Doc would fit with most of this crowd. The Whisperer would though or even the Avenger. However, I do agree that the title is a bit crowded, the modern "Zorro" should probably be left out. I like the idea of including the Black Bat, but I would leave out the comic heroes Green Lama, Black Terror and Miss Fury. Though I can see the two guys from a business standpoint as Dynamite has filed trademarks on both characters but has not done anything with them since Project: Superpowers. Gotta use trademarks or lose them. They have to be a bit careful on how they use the Green Lama though as his pulp stories are not public domain. But, the more characters they add, the more the title is diluted.

Afraid the art doesn't really do much for me here. Ross is a talented painter and sketch artist, but no so much as a sequential storyteller. His panel choices and page flow seem almost more for artistic merit moreso than clarity in telling the story.

Default Dynamite: Masks

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post
    Which Phantom? Lee Falk's? the Phantom "Detective"? I could see the second, but the first would really require some extra storytelling logistics. I don't think Doc would fit with most of this crowd. The Whisperer would though or even the Avenger. However, I do agree that the title is a bit crowded, the modern "Zorro" should probably be left out. I like the idea of including the Black Bat, but I would leave out the comic heroes Green Lama, Black Terror and Miss Fury. Though I can see the two guys from a business standpoint as Dynamite has filed trademarks on both characters but has not done anything with them since Project: Superpowers. Gotta use trademarks or lose them. They have to be a bit careful on how they use the Green Lama though as his pulp stories are not public domain. But, the more characters they add, the more the title is diluted.

Afraid the art doesn't really do much for me here. Ross is a talented painter and sketch artist, but no so much as a sequential storyteller. His panel choices and page flow seem almost more for artistic merit moreso than clarity in telling the story.
    Not familiar with Phantom Detective( is this the one DiDio is revamping for DC?) or Whisperer,but they sound like they would fit in better than a modern Zorro. Avenger is a good choice,but I still say Savage would be fun to see worked into this and there could be a brief plot line linking the Party for Justice with Nazi's in Africa which brings Lee Falk's Phantom state side to investigate with the dog. Switch out the horse for a vintage motorcycle and there you go. I feel like you though that this is overstretched with the characters chosen and as I said before I'm not that interested in them and would rather see them come in as Part 2. Either way this should be fun and I'm debating between pull list or trade wait. Will Prescott Bush,Adolf Coors, Dupont, Watson and others actually be names or characters in this? How ballsy is Robeson and Dynamite?

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Not familiar with Phantom Detective( is this the one DiDio is revamping for DC?) or Whisperer,but they sound like they would fit in better than a modern Zorro. Avenger is a good choice,but I still say Savage would be fun to see worked into this and there could be a brief plot line linking the Party for Justice with Nazi's in Africa which brings Lee Falk's Phantom state side to investigate with the dog. Switch out the horse for a vintage motorcycle and there you go. I feel like you though that this is overstretched with the characters chosen and as I said before I'm not that interested in them and would rather see them come in as Part 2. Either way this should be fun and I'm debating between pull list or trade wait. Will Prescott Bush,Adolf Coors, Dupont, Watson and others actually be names or characters in this? How ballsy is Robeson and Dynamite?
    That's the Phantom Stranger that Didio is doing. The Phantom Detective (just the Phantom in the pulps) was the first masked hero to follow the Shadow with his own book and seems to be more or less public domain (some issues were renewed but no one seems to act on that). In reality, rich man Curtis Van Loan bored from being home after the life and death adventures of The War, solves a case the police couldn't solve. Finding a new purpose and fire to life, he traveled the world training in various skills and came back as an expert detective, in disguise and mimicry, and various fighting skills. When friend and confidant newspaper publisher Frank Havens needs to summon him, he does so by using a color light on the tower on top of the newspaper building. He's not above using his guns and lethal force if need be. Another precursor to Batman in so many ways and basically a saner, more well adjusted version of the Shadow and Spider but no less super.

My problem with Doc is his no-killing code would be in direct conflict with most of the characters. It is hard to see him in this without trying to take in several of the other characters. In a smaller and tighter story maybe, but I think it would derail this story somewhat. And, Doc's not Doc without at least a couple of his aides and with a story already over-crowded...