Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default David Finch Enlists with "Justice League of America"

David Finch spoke with CBR about leaving "The Dark Knight" for the brighter world of "Justice League of America," working with Geoff Johns on developing characters like Stargirl and Vibe and the new approach to his art.

Full article here.

This is a good interview. I am interested to see how Finch's work is different here...he notes it as being brighter, inking it himself, and using more 3D models. I criticize Finch's work a lot but these all sound like good things to me and I hope I enjoy his new style more. He used to be one of my favorite artists (especially around the time he was doing the covers for Messiah Complex at Marvel), but I haven't really enjoyed his work at DC.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

I find it funny how much I am currently looking forward to this title after my own disdain towards Justice League. I think the idea of seeing Green Arrow mix it up with Hawkman and a new GL and Martian Manhunter are big selling points to me. I like the Big 7 but I found the team dynamic (them at each others throats) in the main title to not be to my liking. I really like Finch's take on some of the characters particularly his Catwoman and Green Arrow plus this is the first colourist I have seen who did not make Baz seem either black or orange.

February? not bad at least we have an actual release date now
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)

Okay, so officially the next wave hits Feburary and Finch is now leaving The Dark Knight. I wonder what other titles will be coming and who will be the next artist on that Batman comic then.

Also, liked what I heard about Stargirl. Will be nice to have an upbeat character for once in these Justice League titles.

Am I the only person concerned that they've been talking about the title a while, but Finch only has 3 pages at this point? I'd really like to get at least a year of Finch-drawn issues before they have to bring in the inevitable guest artist.

I'll be getting it, regardless. Hopefully, it'll be closer to Johns' JSA than his current JL run.

So the next wave is February, also i am really excited for this the team looks odd but its going to be interesting how they flesh each character out.

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    Am I the only person concerned that they've been talking about the title a while, but Finch only has 3 pages at this point? I'd really like to get at least a year of Finch-drawn issues before they have to bring in the inevitable guest artist.
    He did like seven or eight consecutive issues of The Dark Knight before needing a fill-in, and even then I think only needed one fill-in to get back on track for another like six issues in a row. I'm not sure what's changed but it seems like he can pretty much hit a monthly schedule now with only minimal fill-ins.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    I find it funny how much I am currently looking forward to this title after my own disdain towards Justice League.
    Same here. I'm absolutely not reading JL again until a new writer takes over, yet I'm still looking forward to JLA. I think it's the characters. I don't know. I mean, I'm not expecting it to to be good or anything, but I'm excited to try it out. I just hope Johns can make it work.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    He did like seven or eight consecutive issues of The Dark Knight before needing a fill-in, and even then I think only needed one fill-in to get back on track for another like six issues in a row. I'm not sure what's changed but it seems like he can pretty much hit a monthly schedule now with only minimal fill-ins.
    I had not been aware of that (in fact, he drew #s 1-7, with Benes filling in only on #8), so that does make me a little bit less concerned. Thanks!

As much as this title interests me...I can't pick it up unless one of my other books gets cancelled. I need to draw the line somewhere. Maybe I'll jump on board with the .99 digital copy and be a month behind.

Stargirl...I want to know more about her. Google in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    What changed is he isn't writing anymore. He straight up said that in regards to the last volume of TDK, writing completely $&#@ed him up.

And hell, I don't think he actually needed fill in on issue 8, after Paul jenkins was taken off the title, that second storyline abandoned, and Court of Owls coming up, there was really no reason for him to draw that one and done issue regardless.

But yeah, there should be no worries with Finch at this point. We'll probably get a trades worth of stuff, and possibly some more, before he takes a break or anything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    I find it funny how much I am currently looking forward to this title after my own disdain towards Justice League. I think the idea of seeing Green Arrow mix it up with Hawkman and a new GL and Martian Manhunter are big selling points to me. I like the Big 7 but I found the team dynamic (them at each others throats) in the main title to not be to my liking. I really like Finch's take on some of the characters particularly his Catwoman and Green Arrow plus this is the first colourist I have seen who did not make Baz seem either black or orange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarcon View Post
    Same here. I'm absolutely not reading JL again until a new writer takes over, yet I'm still looking forward to JLA. I think it's the characters. I don't know. I mean, I'm not expecting it to to be good or anything, but I'm excited to try it out. I just hope Johns can make it work.
    I'm still not inclined to buy it myself because of how terrible JL is, but I do think this will be much better. I have a good feeling it will be more like Johns's JSA than JL.

What changed is Finch isnt writing and drawing on the same book anymore.

I hated Finch's artwork in the beginning of Batman The Dark Knight, but since Hurwitz has come on, I think Finch's artwork has been spectacular. Sure, he makes some of his characters looks russian sometimes, but his artwork has really grown on me. I think under the right pen, he is a great artist. Finch and Jim Lee are the two best Batman artists; they can draw the hell out of Batman. I like the tone that the cover gives and it seems like it'll be a very different book. If there is one thing we know about Geoff Johns is that he can write very different books -- even with the same characters (Green Lantern, Aquaman and Justice Leauge -- very different books).
    This book looks to have a completely different tone. I think thisll be much better than Justice League. I feel like Justice League was more forced on him and this book was his choice. I think that alone should make it better.