Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Animation & Illustration

Sure, maybe she could explain to me what it is that people do when standing in long lines if they don't have a book (or at least a smartphone or something). I carry a paperback (or these days my Nook) with me most everywhere for just this reason.

My wife was not much of fiction reader when we started dating. Now she reads a great deal. Take it as an opportunity to introduce someone to it.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

Only if she had boobs.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Or marry them? I saw this on another forum and I wanted to know what you guys think.

You'd be foolish not to be with someone just because they don't read books or comics, comics are a fun form of entertainment but I don't see them as anything sacred at all. Books are great and informative... but as long as a the person is cool, who cares?

Not I.
    Last edited by prescribeddrone; 08-31-2012 at 02:33 AM.

No, I wouldn't.

Like John Waters once said... if you go to someone's house and they don't have books, don't **** them.

what elitist BS. if she was hot and and a great person and I loved her, why the hell not? You don't have the share all the same hobbies with the girl

I'm not sure about wouldn't date. It depends on the reason I suppose. A lot of people feel they don't have time to give 30 hours to a book thus don't read which is understandable. I often go a long while and realize I haven't read anything (not including comics) in months.

But I would consider it a little unattractive if she thought of reading as lame.
    Last edited by andthegunslinger; 09-01-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JouBqa View Post
    what elitist BS. if she was hot and and a great person and I loved her, why the hell not? You don't have the share all the same hobbies with the girl
    Well, she doesn't have to read the same books.

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JouBqa View Post
    Elitist? What makes liking someone for their physical attractiveness any deeper than liking them for the fact that they read? If she was a great person, she read, and she wasn't hot, would you still date her?
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

The fact that a person spend time to read or not is very important to me.

Non-reader tend to be ignorant people. I'm quite the open-minded guy, hell i even date a republican woman once, but to be with someone you can't have a real interesting conversation with because she has the cultural level of a oyster ? Nah, pass.

BANNED

Sure, I'm not shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    The fact that a person spend time to read or not is very important to me.

Non-reader tend to be ignorant people. I'm quite the open-minded guy, hell i even date a republican woman once, but to be with someone you can't have a real interesting conversation with because she has the cultural level of a oyster ? Nah, pass.
    She could be well cultured from other forms of media...

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveDupin View Post
    Elitist? What makes liking someone for their physical attractiveness any deeper than liking them for the fact that they read? If she was a great person, she read, and she wasn't hot, would you still date her?
    I can't have sex with someone i'm not attracted too, and that would sort of be a deal breaker for me, so i can answer a firm no to this one.
    If she is a great person but i don't think she's hot, that would make her a great candidate to be a friend.

Date, maybe. Marry, no. Reading is a sign of intelligence. She would have to read.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Or marry them? I saw this on another forum and I wanted to know what you guys think.
    Absolutely. I'm currently engaged to a non reader. And say what you will but we met via E-Harmony and its matching system and it seems to have worked as we are going on six years now and are very happy (we'd be married but there are children issues delaying it - long story).

She doesn't read. As in she probably hasn't read a book since high school and thats over 20 years now. I on the other hand read a lot.

She is addicted to cartoons. I on the other hand don't like any cartoons not named South Park and have a very particular hatred to all things anime despite her love of that particularly annoying genre. Seriously my nickname for nearly all anime involves the word constipated since thats invariably how every character looks when they are trying to be serious - Constipated Ball Z etc.

Point is that neither one is a deal breaker for either of us as they are minor things overall. Both of us have ex spouses and both of us are old enough now to realize what is important and what is not (reading and cartoons).

We work things out fine - she'll watch Inyuconstipated while I read something and then later we'll meet somewhere in the middle by watching something we both like such as Alias, Breaking Bad, Supernatural, True Blood, Dexter, etc. Take away the cartoons and we have remarkably similar tastes in Television.
    Last edited by Chiasm; 09-10-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Sure. As long as we had something else in common. I don't read much fiction these days anyway.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

If that is her only character flaw, and we are otherwise compatible, sure. I'm not that picky.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck