Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Reading and watching films are a big part of my life. I'd want my partner to share the same interests as me and I'd expect her to want the same.
    Last edited by Ernest Maxwell; 09-23-2012 at 11:27 PM.

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

I didn't think I would date a non-reader but than I saw another thread like this.It was some fat chick who said she didn't think she want to dead a non-reader and her boyfriend didn't want to read 50 shades of grey.That book is shit, and it made me realize that reading in relationship shouldn't matter as long as the person tolerates and loves you.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JouBqa View Post
    what elitist BS. if she was hot and and a great person and I loved her, why the hell not? You don't have the share all the same hobbies with the girl
    I was thinking the same thing... the person you date, the person you love, the person you marry does NOT have to have the same interests as you. It's ridiculous to think otherwise. I love reading comics, my boyfriend has NO interest. He likes watching Eastenders... I have no interest. It's great to have some interests in common, but you don't need all. And to think that ANYONE judges love and affection on whether someone reads books or not... is just... depressing.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-25-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_Brunell View Post
    Date, maybe. Marry, no. Reading is a sign of intelligence. She would have to read.
    What if she only read the Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray books?
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

- C.S. Lewis

Dory St. Johns on Wikicadia

No. If she doesn't read, then already we don't have much in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Or marry them? I saw this on another forum and I wanted to know what you guys think.
    Yes, when we met he wasn't someone who read for pleasure, but we started going out for coffee Sunday morning... right next door to a bookstore, and you don't get me that close to a bookstore without me going in. We've been married just over four years now and while he doesn't read as much as I do, he reads more than he used to.

I think the important thing for me was that while reading wasn't his thing he did have a quite hobby of his own where we could both be in the same room, me reading him taking apart video game code for tool assisted speed runs, and still be keeping each other company. Also we both hike, which turned out to be more important as a non-hiker would be an obstacle to my hiking, where a non-reader just needs something else to keep them occupied so I can read.
    Last edited by Kizmet; 10-14-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I was thinking the same thing... the person you date, the person you love, the person you marry does NOT have to have the same interests as you. It's ridiculous to think otherwise. I love reading comics, my boyfriend has NO interest. He likes watching Eastenders... I have no interest. It's great to have some interests in common, but you don't need all. And to think that ANYONE judges love and affection on whether someone reads books or not... is just... depressing.
    This...I don't need everything in common with a man to enjoy that relationship.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

The Green Knight Lord of the Unreal's Avatar

Lightbulb

No, becauase i love to read and think that people should read more not just watch tv and movies.
    "The dream does not end until I say so."

Quote Originally Posted by Samy View Post
    I'd probably find it difficult to find anything in common with a girl who didn't read at all. Of course, it's not impossible to have chemistry without common interests, but I do think it's a longshot. I would date somebody who didn't read at all, and I would marry them too, if the chemistry was in place.
    My wife used to read a lot... but not for many years. She works so much she just likes to come home and do mindless things (FB games, watch tv). We had virtually nothing in common when we met... that was 13 years ago, so ya you can make it work with someone who has nothing in common with you.

Did I mention I was a GUY when we got married ;) Now she's married to a woman (who USED to be her husband)... so ya, if it's meant to be, you can make ANYTHING work.

Reading is good and all but as long as there's a bond it shouldn't matter that much. If someone makes you happy, they make you happy.
    Last edited by prescribeddrone; 10-15-2012 at 11:18 PM.

I like reading but damn, there's a lot of garbage in this thread. What if someone's into music? Dancing? Art? Books are the sole sign of intelligence and culture now? Like bookstores aren't filled with trashy, bullshit novels or...y'know...comic books.

But whatever, carry on.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Unreal View Post
    No, becauase i love to read and think that people should read more not just watch tv and movies.
    Because those are the only two options??? Maybe she plays sport a lot (and maybe she thinks people should spend less time with their head in a book, and more time exercising), or knits, paints, listens to operas; goes to the ballet, bakes delicious cakes; does gardening; or god forbidden she is incredibly driven in her job, and really doesn't have much time to read... it's ridiculous, UTTERLY absurd to base whether you'd be with someone over one VERY UNIMPORTANT thing. To assume lack of interest in reading means someone isn't smarter than you, more driven or lacks an attention span says more about the person making the assumption that it does about the non-reader.

Quote Originally Posted by prescribeddrone View Post
    Reading is good and all but as long as there's a bond it shouldn't matter that much. If someone makes you happy, they make you happy.
    THIS!!!
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

A non-reader, yes. One of those girls that can't stay off of her phone for 10 minutes? Never.

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Sure, I don't date people based on how many books they read. I have an extremely wide variety of interests so there's always something to talk about.