Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default FAN EXPO: JMS & Risso Launch "Before Watchmen: Moloch"

The run of prequel series to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' classic will expand further as J. Michael Straczynski and Eduardo Risso prepare the two-issue "Before Watchmen: Moloch" mini series, and JMS tells CBR why.

Full article here.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Hmm...part of me wonders if this is sucking too much milk out of the cow's teat, but I have to agree that this is definitely a story we haven't seen before.

Who?... No idea who Moloch is.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

How is that not a compelling story worth telling?
    Um... because you're writing it?

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    Who?... No idea who Moloch is.
    He's basically the only really used supervillain that was in the original Watchmen novel. In the present day of that book, he was quietly in retirement, the only one who goes to the Comedian's funeral because he had drunkenly invaded his home a few days earlier after finding out about Ozy's schemes. He's also one of the people that Ozy gave cancer to, in his overall plot to get Doctor Manhattan out of the picture.

Don't remember this character at all, I remember one of the DC guys saying that they were only going to do the 6 series and be done, guess that was a lie...
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Don't remember this character at all, I remember one of the DC guys saying that they were only going to do the 6 series and be done, guess that was a lie...
    Where did they say that? Would be helpful before you start calling people liars. Really obnoxious. You can't be bothered to do some research, but it's easy enough to slam someone online anonymously so that's fine.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

I had to look up who the character was, but now I remember him. This is by far the most unnecessary prequel in my opinion, and that's saying something.

How is that not a compelling story worth telling?
    It just sounds so condescending.

It may, in fact, be a compelling story, but the only reason it's a story about Moloch and not Morok-- a new creator-owned character by JMS and Risso-- is the Watchmen banner on the cover and the giant paycheck.

with the Watchmen characters, we’ve barely scratched the surface,
    Fantastic...
    Picture Maker // website // tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    According to the interview JMS gave, apparently they had a few other small stories in mind but didn't want to overload the team they assembled. Since JMS finished up first, he asked if he could do this story.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was partly to pad up any of the four-issue minis when they hit trade, like Rorschach or Doctor Manhattan.

I was fine with the "Before Watchmen" minis, but this is a little much. Next thing you know there will be "Big Figure" and "Dollar Bill" mini-series ...

I found Moloch to be a very intriguing character in Watchmen but from what I have heard JMS' contributions to Before Watchmen haven't been the strongest so I am confused why he got it. I have not been reading it so I cannot say that this is in any way my opinion.

I'm okay with it. I just hope that when this is all done, we get a nice, big hardcover of everything and not 6 or 7 and 1/2 hardcovers.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    Where did they say that? Would be helpful before you start calling people liars. Really obnoxious. You can't be bothered to do some research, but it's easy enough to slam someone online anonymously so that's fine.
    Well sorry, I don't have a source. If I did I would have put down a name so yes, I guess you can take what I said with a grain of sault. Sorry if you considered the post obnoxious. And it wasn't slamming anyone in general.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    He's basically the only really used supervillain that was in the original Watchmen novel. In the present day of that book, he was quietly in retirement, the only one who goes to the Comedian's funeral because he had drunkenly invaded his home a few days earlier after finding out about Ozy's schemes. He's also one of the people that Ozy gave cancer to, in his overall plot to get Doctor Manhattan out of the picture.

Oh yeah! I forgot about him!