Default Ready Player One

I reccomend this book to anybody who is a fan of retro pop culture, this was a very good read with a very enticing plot and cool references to pretty much anything from the 80s

very good book

Thumbs up

Agreed! I've been recommending it to all my friends. It was also the first book I bought and read on my Kindle, which fit in nicely with the VR concept.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

i've read this book and i love it.

i heard it was optioned for a movie, don't know how they could fit in all the pop culture references.

Every person I've recommended it to has loved the death out of it. You guys know there's a film in the works?
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I still need to get this book.

Animation & Illustration

Just started reading it today. So far, quite good!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post

i heard it was optioned for a movie, don't know how they could fit in all the pop culture references.
    Lots of narration and easter eggs? They'll probably cut a bunch of it out.

What I wonder is how much licensing fees for all those 80's pop-culture refs will cost... a smart agent will point out that it'll do a lot to bring old licenses back into the spotlight, and get them to pay to remain in the script, but some of the plot-necessary ones (like The Tomb of Horrors or Wargames) might not be so easy.
    Last edited by Inkthinker; 08-28-2012 at 01:37 AM.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

Animation & Illustration

Finished it, liked it, found the ending a liiitle bit weak... I wanted a proper confrontation between Sorrento and Wade, but after he enters the final gate it's pretty much all a straight line. No real conflict happens after that point, and in the end it just wraps up. Some of the stuff hinted at along the way (like the worsening energy crisis leading to greater economic disaster) isn't really covered. And there's the threat at the end of a button Wade can use to shut it all down, but there's nothing done with it after.

I feel like he left some of that stuff up for a sequel. Does anyone know if there's one planned?
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

I'm about halfway through it right now in audiobook form. Wil Wheaton is the narrator and he's damn near perfect in it given he has just the right amount of snark for many of the scenes.

This is absolutely a must read for anyone who likes anything in "geek culture."

As someone who has barely read since high school, I grabbed this book on a lark and went through it in one night. It actually made me want to read again.
    "but the 616 is set in America."

- Rotm

The fun thing for me was remembering if I had played or used anything in the books. I loved Adventure and remember the contest Atari was running for the Swordquest series.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

i keep finding myself imagining what i'd do in The Oasis, if it did exist.

I really enjoyed it, reminded me of playing with a heap of action figures way back when, from all different franchises and properties.