Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Color me intrigued by this combination. Ji-woon gets a a big name to use for his Hollywood debut and Arnold gets to make his comeback with one of today's most innovative filmmakers. It is a a "safe risk" for both. I will be there. Arnold doesn't have to flex his acting chops or much dialogue beyond some cheeky one liners and can play off his own persona while Ji-woon gets built in buzz by working with this star that people will want to see for various reasons, good and bad and can plug him into some wild action scenes and crazy scenarios. Arnold can't pronounce this line? He can't run and leap off that building anymore? No problem, use his age for humor by thinking better of jumping off said building and instead of the line, just hand him a giant gatling gun b/c that will look freaking awesome on film. And give him a wise cracking sidekick like the classic westerns...Johnny Knoxville? Sounds great. Cha ching$

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    Gotta say Expendables 2 was awesome. Ill probably check this out, he does look old he even says it in the preview but hey the young guys arent doing it, except for a few.
    Sad but true. Action films are becoming a endangered species
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

I would recommend roles like Eastwood's Gunny Highway in "Heartbreak Ridge". That movie showed an aging Marine who could not keep up with his younger charges in running, but he was experienced enough to lead them to battle. Another similar role would be the aging Bruce Wayne in the Batman Beyond series.

Then again John Wayne never quit and he was really old, riding horses and punching people. So hey.

I'm down for it.

Looks good to me.
    "Being a father is a lot like being the least powerful Vice President in history." - Jim Gaffigan

BANNED

I, for one, am excited to see Arnold back in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    Then again John Wayne never quit and he was really old, riding horses and punching people. So hey.
    He was also sick with cancer twice and was dying during the making of "The Shootist".

Action wise it looks pretty good and really i will only see this because its by one of the best directors, and one of my favs. Sure it looks simple compared to the usual Kim Jee-Won films but hope its over the top fun atleast.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Looks like a fun action flick to me.

As for the question of Arnold's acting ability I have to ask, was he ever good? I know I certainly never saw his films for his acting ability, just his ability to shout one liners while blowing shit up. Looks like he can still do that well so I see no real drop in quality.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Looks like a fun action flick to me.

As for the question of Arnold's acting ability I have to ask, was he ever good? I know I certainly never saw his films for his acting ability, just his ability to shout one liners while blowing shit up. Looks like he can still do that well so I see no real drop in quality.
    i've always thought he was decent

He could act in certain areas well, but if you were looking for something with depth, then he was out of his depth. That was one of the weaknesses of "End Of Days", a film that would be better suited for Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise or Bruce Willis. Movies like "The Terminator", "Commando", "Predator", "The Running Man", "Total Recall" and "True Lies" worked because they didn't require an actor for those roles. Just someone who could come in and be the action hero lead. Directors like James Cameron, Ivan Riteman and John Millus could get a bit more out of him than most. Movies like "Kindergarten Cop" and "Twins" worked in that he had others to work off of, and that he could be placed in humorous situations and not be overwhelmed.

I think "acting" is often unfairly equated to "acting like someone I would meet in real life," which is only one type of acting.

Arnold is a great actor in action movies.

Not like someone in real life, but showing a range of depth and character. Something that Arnold has limitations with. That's why the majority of his films are action films, which doesn't require too much acting. His films are also made with people who can act, which shows how limiting he can be, but also gives some weight to it. Ronny Cox, James Caan, Gaberial Byrne, Linda Hamilton, Jamie Lee Curtis, Charles Dance and Danny DeVito for instance. They all made up for his limitations and made the films just as enjoyable as watching Arnold kick ass and take names.