Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Ronald Wimberly Skins the "Prince of Cats"

Writer artist Ronald Wimberly spoke to CBR News about his new Vertigo OGN "Prince of Cats," a hip-hop retelling of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" focusing on Tybalt and the Capulets.

Full article here.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

This is one of the baddest dudes working in comics today. His art is sick!
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

Wimberly's various fill-ins and his work on Sentences: The Life Story of MF Grimm were excellent. Definitely looking forward to this.

Ronald is another high power builder that I admire indeed.

BANNED

Saw this the other day and really loved the visuals. Haven't read it, obviously, but I loved the look of t, so hopefully I'll get a chance to read it sooner than later. Definitely check this one out.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Been waiting for this for a while!
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

This looks slick. Great art, and I'm loving the whole approach to the story. "Romeo and Juliet" is one of my favorite works by Shakespeare, and for a story that has been remade or updated in every medium there is countless times over, this looks to be a genuinely fresh approach to the concept.

Great title, too.
    Picture Maker // website // tumblr

Animation & Illustration

I was not prepared for how much I would love this book. Seriously, it's the best thing I've read in weeks or months or more.

There's an inevitable comparison to Baz Luhrmann's 1996 film Romeo + Juliet, but I put forth to you that while both modernize the material, Wimberly's book is far superior (especially as it takes liberty with the original to create something completely new, rather than just revising the setting and the style while sticking to the script).
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

double post wat.
    Last edited by Danish; 10-12-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    Reading:
    On Hold:

I think between Gregory, Jorden, Jared and me, we managed something pretty special, but I'd love to have a shot at a "remaster."
    My relationship with Casey and Karen [Berger] notwithstanding, I actually would have rather worked with Oni, but NY rent ain't cheap...
    His overall tone about the book sounds like disappointment. He should be hyping it up rather than focusing on what he didn't like about working with Vertigo. Anyway, I enjoyed PoC a whole bunch and can't wait to see more from Wimberly soon. Hopefully he learns how to promote a book by then. :P
    Reading:
    On Hold:

BANNED

The quality of the work speaks for itself. It's refreshing to hear someone be fucking honest for once, though, rather than the endless hype machine press releases and interviews.

I've never met an artist who was 100% happy with their work, so again, it's refreshing to hear him admit that.

Granted, the remaster comme t doesn't make you want to rush out and buy this copy, but you should because this book is bad ass.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I saw a copy in a store a few weeks ago and I plan on doing just that.