Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Aug 13, 2012

"Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker" scribe Joe Casey talks about the creator-owned comic, the status of the comic landscape as a whole and discusses the concept of capital-A Art.

Full article here.

No joke, I was just thinking about where the heck issue 8 was (why can't I pick the winning lottery numbers?)

This is the Joe Casey I remember: swagger, lunacy a bit of raunch and painfully honest. I'm not looking for anything deep in Butcher Baker, just a really O.T.T. good time.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

Psyched for the return of BB and I'll leave it at that.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

This series is the reason I continue to buy new books from Image. I bought it on a whim and loved it instantly. It's great to see it back. I love the feeling of reading a comicbook and thinking, "oh man, am I really reading this? This is so good. I need more."
    Grr. Argh.

Not to take a personal conflict public (although Joe wasn't shy about giving his opinion via interview), but for the record: "overcommitment" was not the issue with Butcher's schedule. As much as I love Butcher Baker it was a project that just didn't make enough money for me to live on. I took other work to keep the lights on and continued to work on Butcher when I could. I've apologized to fans and to Joe for the delay.

Ruthless Aggressor Arkady Rossovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huddleston View Post
    Not to take a personal conflict public (although Joe wasn't shy about giving his opinion via interview), but for the record: "overcommitment" was not the issue with Butcher's schedule. As much as I love Butcher Baker it was a project that just didn't make enough money for me to live on. I took other work to keep the lights on and continued to work on Butcher when I could. I've apologized to fans and to Joe for the delay.
    When I initially read that part of the interview, I didn't take it as Joe ripping you...although now that you bring it up, I can see how him being so frank may have unintentionally painted you in a poor light. Whatever the reasons for the delay, I will happily lap up issue 8 tomorrow and enjoy your wonderful art.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huddleston View Post
    Just keep up the great work, you're doing amazing. From my years of being a fan of creator owned books, I know of the craziness of trying to make bread as a creator and needed other means to support yourself while trying to churn out a book like this. I can speak for me and I'm sure a few understanding readers that we're behind you.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

I love The Strain. Hopefully he'll continue on that book til Del Toro finishes the novels.
    In war the elders may give the orders, but it's the young who have to fight.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Just keep up the great work, you're doing amazing. From my years of being a fan of creator owned books, I know of the craziness of trying to make bread as a creator and needed other means to support yourself while trying to churn out a book like this. I can speak for me and I'm sure a few understanding readers that we're behind you.
    This. However long it takes, the wait for such fine art is worth it. Psyched for tomorrow.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

Just picked up and read my issue today. Loved it. Hope Bleeding Cool is wrong and this series continues forever.
    In war the elders may give the orders, but it's the young who have to fight.