View Poll Results: Who should BATGIRL'S #1 archnemesis be?

Voters
108. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Catwoman

2 1.85%
  • Gretel

1 0.93%
  • Grotesque

2 1.85%
  • Harley Quinn

14 12.96%
  • James Jr. Gordon

20 18.52%
  • The Joker

13 12.04%
  • Knightfall

5 4.63%
  • Talon Mary

0 0%
  • Other

51 47.22%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Default Who should be BATGIRL'S #1 archnemesis?

This is a segue of discussion from the Batgirl #12 thread that I think could warrant a more in depth discussion. The issue to point was some debating that the current writer of Batgirl Ms. Gail Simone simply stating that Charise Carnes, aka Knightfall, is defacto Batgirl's primary archnemesis simply makes this so. Conversely others point out that the formation of a primary rogue takes time organically and takes multiple confrontations to be able to determine if that villian is indeed a good fit for that particular protagonist to be a reoccurring foil for the long haul.

Personally for me Knightfall so far has run kind of flat in terms of inspiring interest. The character so far is just so cliche and lacking in menace, despite her penchant/fetish for torture. That and the outfit is straight out generic 1990's at it's most lame, IMO. I just so far am not seeing "#1 archnemesis" written on this character, she's almost as forgettable as Mirror. Conversely isn't the obvious elephant in the room that the Joker is Batgirl's #1 archnemesis? Anyone familiar with Batgirl knows what was done to her in The Killing Joke and the subsequent aftermath.

IMO the Joker himself wouldn't even need to show up here as by proxy Harley Quinn could fill in for him quite nicely, and also has the added benefit of being a victim herself who in turn lashes out at the world in turn, which fits the overall narrative by Ms. Simone to a 'T' per all the villians that have shown up so far:

This gives Batgirl her own villian that is associated with the Joker, and Harley herself is a proven and popular commodity that would help sales for issues with her appearances.

Well Harley Quinn is my top pick, but I also provided a poll of both Batgirl specific and Batman rogues to choose from. Let's discuss!
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 08-11-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

I havent come up a good villain that i'd like to see as her archnemesis. Stealing villains from Batman is a no-no and Catwoman isnt a villain anyway. I'd use the Calculator, or maybe some other cerebral villain, someone whose stories play up Barbara's genius.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 08-11-2012 at 10:18 AM.

I voted other. I believe Killer Moth should be her archnemesis since he was her first enemy and he is not a serious threat to Batman. Right now he is in no position to anyone's archnemesis but now with the new 52 he could be rebooted to be more effective.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

The obvious issue with your one choice of Calculator, as which you already know, is that that villian was made for a version of Barbara Gordon that no longer exists in this continuity and more importantly does not fit into the narrative that the main writer is depicting on this current series of villians who are themselves victims originally, and that it is Batgirl's inspirational spirit that is emphasized this go around in this series, not all that hacker/borderline genius stuff from the prior continuity.

Please keep on track as to what this thread is discussing as it pertains to the current book, not discontinued iterations and situations of character, etc. Thanks!

new_onslaught, how could in your mind Killer Moth be rejiggered to fit into the narrative of the current book to be a main archnemesis? I am interested to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 08-11-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Calculator.

I shall wait til' Batgirl #0, which claims it will re-present her origin, to see how a New-52 Killer Moth may be presented, if he'll be in it at all.

SAYYY, would it be neat, to re-introduce her former, as Batgirl, rogues as well? Such as General Scarr, Cormorant (maybe not him, since he's dead, but since DC has since re-jggered Arnold Wesker and Black Mask), or Velvet Tiger?

Last edited by ngroove; 08-11-2012 at 10:53 AM.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Harley Quinn would be great. Old school, classic, real Harley. However I am completely biased.
    My Canon > Your Canon

Maybe the Condiment King?

He can make her his Condiment Queen!

Or maybe she can fight some kind of vampire or werewolf on a regular basis. Vampires are nothing new to the Bat Mythos.

Harley quinn ;D
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Harley Quinn would be a great choice.

I think Calculator sounds about right
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

I am not sure who should be Batgirl's arch enemy but I feel that Harley works best with the Joker as a sort of perverse coupling, an anti-dynamic duo if you will. This could be rearranged to be the antithesis of the Batman Batgirl relationship but I feel that the Joker works to well with Bats and Harley to well with Mistah J to have that synergy broken. If the idea is to have a female villain work as Babs' archenemy Lady Shiva and Poison Ivy fit the bill better in my mind as they are not so closely linked with another character at this time. I do think that Joker would be interesting as they have a pretty tense history in which case Barbra could also knock heads with Harley and it would seem to be very character driven and based in past continuity but she will never be to the Joker what he is to her.

Killer Moth is a great suggestion and he should be a prominent member of her rogues gallery. I do not however feel that he is a strong candidate for an arch nemesis as he does not work much off of her on a thematic level and does not function well as a foil. He could be something akin to what the Riddler is to Batman a great recurring villain with a personal vendetta to prove himself. I voted for James Gordon Jr. I know that it would maybe get a little on the nose having them square off but he works far better than any candidate I can think of off hand. He is her brother (not sure if in current continuity if it is biological or not) and he has a sharp axe to grind. I know that family members as antagonist is a trope that is done to death but it is one that although done in the Batman universe it is not usually related to an arch enemy so he gets my vote. I also think that Barbra being Gordon's daughter helps solidify her as a concept apart from being another sidekick and anything that further bonds her to her father will make her feel like something more than one of Bruce's orphans.

I wouldnt say Joker is her archnemesis because there isnt a real beef between the two characters as Joker doesnt really care about her.

He didnt shoot her because he hates her personally, he shot her because she was the only one around.

I think Duela Dent could work.
    Last edited by Zak213; 08-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guglio08 View Post
    LoL, he's got stealth skills, code breaking skills, ka-ra-te skills, cocooning skills!

Killer Moth is just so prime for the Calculator and Catman treatment.