Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default In Your Face Jam - Aug 8, 2012

In Brett White's weekly column debut, the writer and life-long comic book fan explores the history of and lessons learned from Marvel's favorite Merc with a Mouth, Deadpool.

Full article here.

Loved this. Deadpool #12, the Spidey parody was my 1st issue and I was hooked. I actually loved what Preist did with Wade...but then Palomotti ruined him. Then Simone brought him back...and Deadpool/Cable was great. But, what made Kelly and Niczea so great is that they understood Wade is a man on a quest to reform in some way, or find community. And in both cases...they get him close to finding it...and then the next writer scraps it. Its sad to see him go back to being the killer for funsies when he has spent so long trying to do some type of good.

Also, the Mithras Directive, Hell House and Mercedes need to be brought back

I read the entire article. Kelly was great, but what the hell? Don't tell me you didn't read Cable & Deadpool! That Deadpool has an enormous background and "complex feelings towards heroism" as you say, AND he is funny too. I agree, most writers tend to forget these aspects that you and me love about DP; but not Nicieza.

EDIT: Nice article btw.
    Last edited by Stopu; 08-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

This was totally in my face! Thoroughly and proactively!

I'm generally a strawberry preserves kinda guy, but this IN YOUR FACE JAM went quite well with my peanut butter.

Welcome to CBR, Brett. Great first outing.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

Brett,

Is your assessment of the current treatment of Deadpool strictly on the basis of the video game trailer, or recent comics as well? I've gotta say, the current Daniel Way run on Deadpool is way more complex than just T&A. There was a subtle tone of sadness every so often as well in periodic asides as the long term arc of Deadpool trying over and over in vain to kill himself developed. Daniel Way was never quite my cup of tea in his other work, but this is damn good.

Excellent first article, looking forward to reading more by you.

Quote Originally Posted by amit sharma View Post
    Brett,

Is your assessment of the current treatment of Deadpool strictly on the basis of the video game trailer, or recent comics as well? I've gotta say, the current Daniel Way run on Deadpool is way more complex than just T&A. There was a subtle tone of sadness every so often as well in periodic asides as the long term arc of Deadpool trying over and over in vain to kill himself developed. Daniel Way was never quite my cup of tea in his other work, but this is damn good.

Excellent first article, looking forward to reading more by you.
    I sincerely think most fans don't give Daniel Way enough credit. A lot of the deeper stuff goes over their heads- like how Deadpool is most heroic when he stops trying to be a hero, or how he struggles with his identity.

Yes, give peace a chance. We are the world. You may say I'm a dreamer, but at least this article was tight even as Way's strudel of a run heads to the blender. Now it's all to be made into a stimulating paste. Pass the toilet paper and glue, time to make paper mache..

Still, the perspective of the article was refreshingly self aware.
    Last edited by Spidey Sense; 08-08-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Everytime I read the title of this thread I think CBR News is piggybacking off my X-Jam and it makes me angry.

Remender's take on Deadpool in Uncanny X-Force is very good imo.

Mr Hughes

Good article Mr White. As already mentioned Remender's take on Deadpool in X-Force is very good. Also it was refreshing to read of your attitude to other creators on characters that you enjoyed in the past. It can get quite depressing sometimes wading through the diatribes of some who seem to think their favourite character has behaved "out of character." At times I get the distinct feeling that some comic fans believe that comics are illustrated documentaries.

BANNED

I couldn't help but think of Charles Barkley when I read the thread title.