Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Whedon Returns For "Avengers 2," Developing Marvel Television Show

Writer/Director Joss Whedon has been confirmed to write and direct the upcoming "Avengers" sequel for Marvel Studios and will develop a Marvel-themed television show for ABC.

UPDATE: Vote here on what Marvel property you think Joss Whedon is developing for ABC television.

Full article here.

This is crazy good news, I'm so excited! Could only make this better if it turns out to be a Runaways tv series. (I can dream big, kthx.)

If this news doesn't make WB/DC abandon all hope of a JLA movie, I don't know what will.

More interesting is the news of the TV show...
    "Don't Reboot The Bat!" Keep Going!
    MoS is a PoS.
    Twitter
    The Facebook

Sounds great. Here's hoping that he develops a TV show that the network actually "gets" too. I always got the feeling that Dollhouse was far too much of a slow burn & high concept affair for FOX's execs. Never mind what they did to Firefly, the Whedon space epic that never was. Hopefully, Avengers has bought him some real power with the suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly T View Post
    If this news doesn't make WB/DC abandon all hope of a JLA movie, I don't know what will.
    Abandon? Why?

WB/DC's problem is that they don't put enough faith in their creators or their fans. A film like GL just reeked of studio interference. Additionally, if the property isn't Batman or Superman, I feel that studio has zero confidence that the fans will care. With the current mentality over in their camp, I don't think that we'll ever get a proper Wonder Woman or Flash film. I'm just hoping that the Batman reboot will make an allowance for some of the quirkier stuff in the Batman universe. I rather missed characters like Penguin, Clayface, & so on in the Nolan movies.

I vote for a Coulson & Hill SHIELD series. Could be Marvel's own X-Files. Yeah. I know he's dead. Bring him back as a LMD or something. He's too good of a character. Plus, Clark Gregg is just a great, underrated actor.

This is very good news, the television series has so many possibilities am impatient already.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post
    WB/DC's problem is that they don't put enough faith in their creators or their fans. A film like GL just reeked of studio interference. Additionally, if the property isn't Batman or Superman, I feel that studio has zero confidence that the fans will care. With the current mentality over in their camp, I don't think that we'll ever get a proper Wonder Woman or Flash film. I'm just hoping that the Batman reboot will make an allowance for some of the quirkier stuff in the Batman universe. I rather missed characters like Penguin, Clayface, & so on in the Nolan movies.

I vote for a Coulson & Hill SHIELD series. Could be Marvel's own X-Files. Yeah. I know he's dead. Bring him back as a LMD or something. He's too good of a character. Plus, Clark Gregg is just a great, underrated actor.
    or just set it before he died

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

They must have driven a dump truck full of money up to Whedon's house.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by 1505627 View Post
    or just set it before he died
    I like the idea of a LMD for 2 reasons.

1. Gregg isn't going to get any younger. Better to place it after the film instead of before.
    2. Making him a LMD would be both fun AND morbid. Imagine having to work alongside a decoy of a co-worker who recently died. Your feelings would be mixed. On the one hand, it'd be comforting, as if he never died. On the other, you're working alongside a cheap knockoff. If we're looking at a LMD that's not perfectly human, it'd certainly allow Gregg to stretch his comedic chops some more.

Comic fanboys and their fictional Marvel/DC film feuds.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    They must have driven a dump truck full of money up to Whedon's house.
    Then they held him down and gave him a silver dollar enema.

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post
    2. Making him a LMD would be both fun AND morbid. Imagine having to work alongside a decoy of a co-worker who recently died. Your feelings would be mixed. On the one hand, it'd be comforting, as if he never died. On the other, you're working alongside a cheap knockoff. If we're looking at a LMD that's not perfectly human, it'd certainly allow Gregg to stretch his comedic chops some more.
    There's also the comic relief benefit of being able to kill him off periodically.

That said, it's not even really necessary to go the LMD route. The way Coulson died makes for a really easy out. You basically just say that Fury was full of shit (In an effort to guilt trip the Avengers into getting the job done) and the paramedic team managed to stabilize him.

I'm happy for Whedon. Good to know that the series wont be anywhere near Fox.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    That said, it's not even really necessary to go the LMD route. The way Coulson died makes for a really easy out. You basically just say that Fury was full of shit (In an effort to guilt trip the Avengers into getting the job done) and the paramedic team managed to stabilize him.
    OR... Yes. Fury played them. However, they could just suggest that the "death" we saw was of a LMD and not the real deal, who was maybe off site or something. I vaguely recall Stark making mention of LMDs in the movie. Maybe that's what "died" and Fury played it up in order to get the team together. It'd also give the Avengers more reason to want to break away from SHIELD and onto their own.