Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Haytil View Post
    That and the four point-blank gunshots from Shreck.

She's given some sort of gift or power from the cats - the 9 lives are real. Doesn't bother me, because "Batman" and "Batman Returns" are modern-day fairy tales, not realistic crime dramas a la Nolan's films. But you can't deny the power's presence.
    "Point-blank" means extremely close, within a couple of feet. Shreck shot her from 15-20 feet away, then ten feet as she got closer. I'm not arguing that all four shots didn't hit her though- they clearly did, and she was clearly hurt. I was thinking there was nothing necessarily supernatural about Selina becoming Catwoman, just a mental effect as a result of her head injury (which she survived purely as a result of falling through the awnings before she hit the ground). She already loved cats, and the cats' involvement in her change made her imagine that she had nine lives, and all kinds of other strengths. When Shreck shot her, picking herself up off the floor to keep on advancing is hardly unprecedented. People have done unbelievable things after having been shot. The only thing that suggests that something genuinely supernatural must have happened- in true Hollywood fashion- is the very end of the film when we see that she is still alive and in fine form after going through the gunshots and the absolutely un-surviveable electrocution.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

That and the four point-blank gunshots from Shreck.

She's given some sort of gift or power from the cats - the 9 lives are real. Doesn't bother me, because "Batman" and "Batman Returns" are modern-day fairy tales, not realistic crime dramas a la Nolan's films. But you can't deny the power's presence.
    It's a comic book world where people can be more resistant than in ours. Doesn't mean it's magic. It could just be pure force of will. I mean, it's not like she got shot in the head or something. In movies, ,when you shot on the guts, you always survive long enough to do what has to be done, and then you fall. Also works in Batman comics. Not in the head? Not dead.
    Besides, crazy people are stronger than sane ones. Because they have none of the restraints we have.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    "Point-blank" means extremely close, within a couple of feet. Shreck shot her from 15-20 feet away, then ten feet as she got closer. I'm not arguing that all four shots didn't hit her though- they clearly did, and she was clearly hurt. I was thinking there was nothing necessarily supernatural about Selina becoming Catwoman, just a mental effect as a result of her head injury (which she survived purely as a result of falling through the awnings before she hit the ground). She already loved cats, and the cats' involvement in her change made her imagine that she had nine lives, and all kinds of other strengths. When Shreck shot her, picking herself up off the floor to keep on advancing is hardly unprecedented. People have done unbelievable things after having been shot. The only thing that suggests that something genuinely supernatural must have happened- in true Hollywood fashion- is the very end of the film when we see that she is still alive and in fine form after going through the gunshots and the absolutely un-surviveable electrocution.
    Absolutely agreed.

Another thing to consider is Schreck was using a gun that had been underwater for the better part of a day. And we also don't know if she's wearing a bullet-resistant corset of some kind. We never see blood, if I recall.

Double post.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

To this day I'm perfectly fine with her gaining powers from a cat orgy. She was way more badass than in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    I had to reconsider Batman & Robin after watching all four of those movies with my nephews and some other kids. The younger, especially, really got into it. So, while I think Clooney was a misused prop, and Freeze was just anti-Freeze or Bizzaro-Freeze, and the general movie is bunk... I had to admit it's got its good points, too. And the Bane getup is always funny.
    its like if the adam west version set in modern times taken up a notch, its super hero movie.turn your brain off and enjoy the absurdity

studio execs are the reason we got what we got,mr director wanted a more serious movie to sync up with the previous two

I love Batman Returns and it is my favorite of all the Batman movies. I think Danny Devito did an excellent job as the Penguin. He is both creepy and humorous at the same time.
    "With Knowledge we built a city to rival heaven."

Ive loved this movie since I was a kid. I was born in 89 so this is the Bat movie of my childhood and I love the alternate versions of the characters. Though it doesn't stand up quite as well as it used to, it still makes for an entertaining watch.

and it remains one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time haha

Justified Ancient of MuMu yvahed's Avatar

Just because kids like it, doesn't mean it isn't garbage.

And just because something is written for adults and made with more artistry than standard kids fare (or even standard movie fare period), doesn't mean kids won't enjoy it.

Have the kids seen "The Dark Knight?" If so, did they like it? If they have seen it, I'd bet they loved it.
    I think that Nolan's movies are not child- friendly at all. Saw a dad leave with his two sons aged about 7 and 9 midway through Batman Begins.

Quote Originally Posted by yvahed View Post
    I think that Nolan's movies are not child- friendly at all. Saw a dad leave with his two sons aged about 7 and 9 midway through Batman Begins.
    My co-workers kids love the Nolan trilogy, they're all right around 8,9. It's like when we (people in my generation) were kids watching Batman 89 or Returns, you know? Seeing Joker fry that guy in his seat stuck with me and made me fear that part of the movie - but it didn't ruin it for me whatsoever. I assume the 'Batman wannabe' who is hung outside the Mayor's office in The Dark Knight would be about the same for kids these days.

I'm thinking it was just that father's decision to bring his children out, not the other way around. Probably realized the dark tone to it and figured his kids wouldn't care for it/enjoy it and left. Or he was over-protective and left for that reason. Either reason is fine, but the Nolan movies are kid-friendly if the kid (and their parent) is into it enough lol. And no, I know they're not legit "kid friendly" haha, but I have faith most kids around that age could take it.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung8 View Post
    Absolutely agreed.

Another thing to consider is Schreck was using a gun that had been underwater for the better part of a day. And we also don't know if she's wearing a bullet-resistant corset of some kind. We never see blood, if I recall.
    While we're discussing people getting shot in "Batman Returns", it's funny how the movie makes a pretty big point about Batman's armor being bullet proof (I think he's shot three times during the course of the film without getting injured) but somehow not able to withstand the needles from Selina Kyle's sewing machine!
    "Doesn't everyone on here hate comics? Isn't this a forum where a bunch of middle aged men sit around and bitch about how they hate comics and haven't read them in twenty years?" -Mezzaro-

Quote Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
    While we're discussing people getting shot in "Batman Returns", it's funny how the movie makes a pretty big point about Batman's armor being bullet proof (I think he's shot three times during the course of the film without getting injured) but somehow not able to withstand the needles from Selina Kyle's sewing machine!
    Or that he can rip his mask off. That one, actually, bothers me more since "bullet resistant" does not, irl, mean "needle-proof."

Quote Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
    I always noticed that too lol - I just like to think she got him in a spot where it's not as heavily armored. it's on like the side of the ribs right? I just assume Batman protects his chest more haha

As for the mask being able to be ripped off - I don't think matters much. You can tell throughout the movie that the material at the neck of his mask isn't supposed to be armor like the rest of the suit. Whatev though.

Remembering about Batman Returns makes me remember all the zany directions Batman in film can go... his next outing on the silver screen oughtta be interesting indeed.

Returns gets some aspects of Gotham and Batman/Bruce better than any of the other films do