Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Spidermanreviews.com list of the Top 50 Spider-Man Stories

Hi guys,
    Despite there being a million other top 50 Spider-Man stories out there, we at Spider-Man reviews thought it might be a good idea to create a list of our own in conjunction with the Spider-Man 50th anniversary.

About six of us, including our dear moderator Mr. Mets, spent some time thinking this through, and through a points system I'm not gonna explain here, decided that this was the best list. Hope you enjoy it!

http://www.spidermanreviews.com/2012...wn-master.html
    Read more Spider-Man at spidermanreviews.com.

Want to write Spider-Man related reviews ? Contact us

It was an eclectic selection including comic books, movies, tv show episodes and a Peter David short story.

It includes a majority of the most famous Spider-Man stories, as well as a few unconventional choices. I understood the Peter David short story completely, although "Peter Parker Must Die" from Amazing Spider-Man Annual 36 was less expected.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It was an eclectic selection including comic books, movies, tv show episodes and a Peter David short story.

It includes a majority of the most famous Spider-Man stories, as well as a few unconventional choices. I understood the Peter David short story completely, although "Peter Parker Must Die" from Amazing Spider-Man Annual 36 was less expected.
    I liked the fact that they included all forms of stories including movies, TV shows, etc. and like when lists are more eclectic. However, I agree that the ASM Annual # 36 story had no place on the list (nor did the "Styx and Stone" story from the Michelnie/McFarlane era----ugh) and especially not when you see the stories they placed ahead of.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Elder Member

Um...Spider-Man: Reign...

That was fun, quite a few of my favourite stories, a few I can't stand (90's show and movies will never make my list) and a couple I've not read that I'll soon be fixing hopefully. Not sure what I'd pick as my own number one, it's a tough choice.

#11 - Spider-Man: Reign

Be of service to all Comic Book readers and sign: http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...tBlackPanther/

Interesting list. I like how you found some stories that people don't talk about. Some of the Stan Lee stuff you have is great. And I like how you worked in shows too.

At the same time you chose some really odd stuff: Shed, Spider Island, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, and Reign. I don't think most of these deserved to even be in the conversation.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

The list was made out of six lists of nominated stories. Stories chosen by multiple contributors were ranked higher than those only chosen by one contributor.

Only the top 25 were selected by two or more of us. Although there was more overlap with the most popular stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Interesting list. I like how you found some stories that people don't talk about. Some of the Stan Lee stuff you have is great. And I like how you worked in shows too.

At the same time you chose some really odd stuff: Shed, Spider Island, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, and Reign. I don't think most of these deserved to even be in the conversation.
    Marvel Knights Spider-Man appears fairly commonly on best of Spider-Man lists.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...hts-spider-man
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...stories?page=1

Reign was on complex's list as well.
    http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...ider-man-reign

Both stories were on CBR's list

Shed just made IGN's list. I will praise it to the stars for just pushing Spider-Man to the limit, and showing a new form of a villain who had been around for 45+ years.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...stories?page=3

Spider Island is pretty new, but it made CBR's list.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I liked the fact that they included all forms of stories including movies, TV shows, etc. and like when lists are more eclectic. However, I agree that the ASM Annual # 36 story had no place on the list (nor did the "Styx and Stone" story from the Michelnie/McFarlane era----ugh) and especially not when you see the stories they placed ahead of.
    To be clear, I did not say that ASM Annual 36 had no place on the list. I just said it was less expected. I was quite diplomatic in my response.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Pirelli's Miracle Elixir Probably_not_a_Nurgling's Avatar

Did kind of a "wut" at Reign, Shed, and something by Paul Jenkins being on the list. I dunno about you guys, but in my opinion the whole Sally Floyd thing should retroactively prevent anyone from ever liking anything Jenkins has written ever again.

Amazing Fantasy #15 was lower than I'd expected.

The Night Gwen Stacy Died... not an unsurprising #1, but something about the story that essentially invented "'fridging" being listed as a greatest anything sort of rubs me the wrong way, to tell you the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Probably_not_a_Nurgling View Post
    Did kind of a "wut" at Reign, Shed, and something by Paul Jenkins being on the list. I dunno about you guys, but in my opinion the whole Sally Floyd thing should retroactively prevent anyone from ever liking anything Jenkins has written ever again.
    Jenkins did some outstanding work on Spidey. I'm glad to see him recognized on the list. My only gripe is with his work with Ramos. I felt like that was a low point, but his work with Buckinheim was superb.

Marvel Knights Spider-Man appears fairly commonly on best of Spider-Man lists.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...hts-spider-man
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...stories?page=1

Reign was on complex's list as well.
    http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...ider-man-reign

Both stories were on CBR's list

Shed just made IGN's list. I will praise it to the stars for just pushing Spider-Man to the limit, and showing a new form of a villain who had been around for 45+ years.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...stories?page=3

Spider Island is pretty new, but it made CBR's list.

To be clear, I did not say that ASM Annual 36 had no place on the list. I just said it was less expected. I was quite diplomatic in my response.
    I know people like the Millar story, and I think I've debated it here before. It just didn't work for me. I've read it a few times trying to give it a chance to no avail.

Reign wasn't that awful, and I think it gets bashed on more than it should. However, it still has its problems. I could see it on the list, but placed so high seems odd to me. I feel like it will be forgotten in a few years.

I liked the idea of Shed, but Lizard killing Billy was just awful to me. I'd rather see Back in Black from JMS on the list. Spidey was on the edge there. Many of us thought he was really going to go through with killing Kingpin. And I think that was some of Garney's best work.

A few gripes don't detract from the list. Compiling a list like that is impressive and you guys did a nice job. Don't take my criticism to heart.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Probably_not_a_Nurgling View Post

Amazing Fantasy #15 was lower than I'd expected.

The Night Gwen Stacy Died... not an unsurprising #1, but something about the story that essentially invented "'fridging" being listed as a greatest anything sort of rubs me the wrong way, to tell you the truth.
    I'm probably taking the Sally Floyd comment more seriously than I should, but I don't think events in one story should have any bearing on whether another story is considered good or bad.

And I don't think the invention of "fridging" should count against the Night Gwen Stacy Died. The problem with fridging was that it had become widespread. Part of the mistake was that writers didn't realize that they were unlikely to top the original and that they shouldn't even bother in most cases telling a story in which the hero's girlfriend/ wife is murdered by one of his enemies.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

The top 15 is good, except for Reign and Marvel Knights. Reign I wouldn't put there because its an alternate future that really has no relevance to the Spidey mythos. I liked the story, but it kind of cheats because the writer has no restrictions whatsoever. For Marvel Knights, the story was decent enough and entertaining, but it was so isolated from everything else and nothing in it had any impact on anything that came after. For all intents and purposes, it may as well have been an elseworlds story. For both of them, it would be like putting Spider-Man 2099 in there (which arguably should be if we are going there).

In short, I think influence on the Spidey mythos should be a bigger factor in what is on the list.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

And I don't think the invention of "fridging" should count against the Night Gwen Stacy Died. The problem with fridging was that it had become widespread. Part of the mistake was that writers didn't realize that they were unlikely to top the original and that they shouldn't even bother in most cases telling a story in which the hero's girlfriend/ wife is murdered by one of his enemies.
    Not trying to start a fight here, but in my opinion the problem with 'fridging is the implication that supporting characters, especially female ones, are casually disposable in order to provide drama for the protagonist. TNGSD set a precedent that if you don't know what to do with a supporting cast member, kill them off for some cheap angst. Even my very favorite comic book writer (possibly my very favorite writer of any fiction), Grant Morrison, has been guilty of this.
    Last edited by Probably_not_a_Nurgling; 08-08-2012 at 12:35 PM.

If The Night Gwen Stacy Died is cheap angst, then real angst simply doesn't exist in comics.
    His memory's gone! Or...is it? It's not hard to fake amnesia! The Goblin is capable of anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    If The Night Gwen Stacy Died is cheap angst, then real angst simply doesn't exist in comics.
    I was mostly referring to other stories that followed the same formula. There's no denying that TNGSD is a really good story, it's just that after it was published, it suddenly became "okay" for a writer to say "I need some new drama and this supporting character isn't doing anything right now, so I'll just kill them." Kyle and Yost are particularly guilty of this, although I do like their writing style otherwise.
    Last edited by Probably_not_a_Nurgling; 08-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.