Default Pre road trip planning. Any help appreciated

I'll be taking a short road trip soon and I need some help building my agenda. It's a very small road trip.. only going from southeastern mass to NYC, but it's the first time I've taken a trip since I got Cancer 2 years ago. I've been cooped up in the house and I'm ready to see the world again.

Because of my long recovery process, i'm currently on immunosupressants that force me to wear a mask and gloves in public.. and I'm also recovering from a bad lung disease that has me at less than 1/3 normal breathing capacity.. so long story short I'm not gonna be able to do my own exploring. I'll just be driving up and then taxiing it up from one spot to another.

I'm posting here because I'm hoping some people who share my hobbies will have some good ideas on what to check out along the way, and once I get to NYC. I'm keeping the whole trip low budget so I can spend money on comics, statues, and other nerdy stuff.

So far I know we're going to midtown comics and probably gonna stop at Kevin Smith's comic shop in Jersey on the way.

My hobbies are lots of comic book reading and some collecting, statue collectiong(1/6th scale/12" tall generally), designer art toy collectiing, prop collecting, wall art collecting, and outdoors stuff like camping, hiking, and wilderness survival. I'd also like to visit anything that might me from a famous movie or just cool places in general. As with my other tastes, my movie tastes are in the nerd category. I love sci fi and comic book movies.

Just want cool suggestions on places to blow my money. I'm saving a ton by staying with my cousin instead of in a hotel.

Also, this will be the weak of labor day. Any events?

Just make sure you go to the bathroom before you leave. If your immune system is on the fritz, a roadside pitstop is not one of the sights you want to see.
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

that's actually very insightful. Months ago that happened when I was coming back from a doctors appointment in Boston and the safest place was pretty much out in the wide open

You are on immunosuppressants and are traveling to one of the filthiest cities in the world.

You may want to rethink this.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

I can't say much about your route or your destinations having never traveled them myself (well, I was in NYC for about two days 14 years ago...but I don't think that counts). But about this time three years ago, I did an 8-day road trip that took me from Toronto ultimately to Victoria, BC. So here is the road trip advice I would give:

- Since it sounds like you have some pretty severe medical considerations, you'll probably want to limit the amount of driving time you do each day. Figure out how much driving you can comfortably do in a day, and plan your stopovers/overnights, etc around that. Continuous driving can be rougher on the body than it sounds.
    - I'd recommend you plan your route to go through, and probably overnight, in major cities along the way. This way if you have a medical issue, you are more likely to be in or near a city large enough to have the facilities you need to treat it.

One more: Especially if you are on a stretch of road you have never driven before, follow the 1/4 tank rule: Never let your gas tank get below a quarter tank. It may mean you have to stop for gas more often, but it should also prevent you from being stranded out in the middle of nowhere with an empty gas tank.
    Last edited by Sabrina_Fried; 08-08-2012 at 05:43 PM.