Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel's Assistant Editor's Month

Anybody remember this? It happened in 1984. The idea was to let the Assistant Editors have free reign for one month and do some offbeat stories in many of Marvel's books.

My favorite was Iron Man #178. It featured a bunch of kids pretending to be the Avengers with a focus on the kid playing Iron Man. When the kids learn that Iron Man has resigned from the Avengers they try to force Iron Kid out of the club. I thought it was a nice chance of pace from the 2nd "Tony's an alcoholic" storyline which was depressing as hell.

Also though the cover wasn't labeled with it, The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man came out this month. That's a story many of us fondly remember I think..

Anyway let's hear if you had any Assistant Editor favorites, or ones you especially disliked.
    Last edited by destro; 08-06-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Can't go wrong with the Marvel Team-Up of Aunt May and Franklin Richards...

or can you?
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

I personally liked the Avengers issue where they appeared on Late Night with David Letterman.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    Can't go wrong with the Marvel Team-Up of Aunt May and Franklin Richards...

or can you?
    The one MTU I *refuse* to own.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I've written before that Captain America #289 had a lot to do with sparking my interest in (select) '80s comics when I chanced across it in the bargain bin on Free Comic Book Day in probably 2004. I found myself intrigued by characters & scenarios that I was completely unfamiliar with (I did of course, know the title character, but hadn't picked up an issue in 25+ years), not to mention Mike Zeck's art. (So of course that turned out to be the final issue of his run.) That started me on a run that's now at 240 issues -- #s 215-454 (not to mention subsequent iterations).

Of course, the faux-Silver Age DC cover format sealed the deal.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 08-06-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I want an Assistant Editor's Month trade paperback or Hardcover now.
    -----
    Winner, Best Supporting Actor Award at Aphrodite Cinefest 2011!!!
    Funny Books, On DVD -- Get it here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    The one MTU I *refuse* to own.
    I think it's a fun issue. Other than the Assistant Editors issue of New Mutants, which I only own because I own the first 40-odd issues of New Mutants, Marvel Team-Up is the only Assistant Editors comic I feel like I have to own.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I personally liked the Avengers issue where they appeared on Late Night with David Letterman.

-M
    I'd forgotten that came out during Assistant Editor's Month. Fun issue and makes a nice companion to the MTU Saturday Night Live issue.

Who could forget that Fred Hembeck drew a whole issue of Spectacular Spider-man in his style but written straight? Crazy.
    David Bowie fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ramage View Post
    Who could forget that Fred Hembeck drew a whole issue of Spectacular Spider-man in his style but written straight? Crazy.
    Did he? Wow I had no idea, awesome!

Largely awful, I have to say - mainly because it was horribly self-indulgent; giving the assistant editors their moment in the sun, not because they necessarily had anything to say, or any talent, but just because. That MTU issue in particular was a glaring example - really, really hated that issue. The Iron Man one was an honourable exception - nice idea, well executed.

Nice idea to pay 'em back.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Garth View Post
    Largely awful, I have to say - mainly because it was horribly self-indulgent; giving the assistant editors their moment in the sun, not because they necessarily had anything to say, or any talent, but just because. That MTU issue in particular was a glaring example - really, really hated that issue. The Iron Man one was an honourable exception - nice idea, well executed.
    I can almost always count on Simon to make me look like Little Mary Sunshine.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I loved it because it was just plain dumb for the most part. The Alpha Flight issue was wonderfully absurd. I bought several off the spinner rack at my local drugstore and then when I discovered my local comic shop I would do a lot of digging through the clearance bins. If I came across an Assistant Editor's Month that I didn't already own, it was an absolute automatic buy for me. The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man is still one of my favorite self contained stories that Marvel has ever published.

C'mon... how can you not love that month of Marvel's comics. LOOKIT THOSE KNEES!!!!!!

- pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!