Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Dark Knight of Photoshop Hush Little Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
    Should Green Lantern Replace WW in Trinity?
    No.

Outside of comic fans, no one else on earth gives a rats behind about Green Lantern (non-comic readers can't tell one GL from another). Wonder Woman is iconic the world over.
    Last edited by Hush Little Batman; 08-06-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Hell No...

I hate when you respond to a thread, before realizing it was where the trolls live, then get incomprehensibly Internet-shouted at.

Very simply, one last time: the Trinity has nothing to do with popularity or "worthiness" (which is wholly subjective anyway). It's a term referring to Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, the three superheroes continually published since their debuts in the Golden Age. Other characters may sell more books and appear on television more (which, in the case of WW, is unfair due to legal snafu about how the characters can be adapted in other media), but that has absolutely no bearing on which three characters those are. They will always be Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman because it isn't a superhero team or anything like that. It IS those three characters. History does not shift, especially for popularity over a relatively short period, as in the case of the Silver Age Green Lantern and his mythology.

To suggest otherwise is pure fallacy.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush Little Batman View Post
    No.

Outside of comic fans, no one else on earth gives a rats behind about Green Lantern (non-comic readers can't tell one GL from another).
    What about fans of the movie which started hal jordan.What about fans of the animated movie which starred hal jordan, what about fan of the cartoon show which stars jordan, what about fan of jl doom and other justice league movie which also has Jordan. most of the mass media except the justice league cartoon used hal Jordan.

Now on the other hand send some body explain to me how will somebody born after the seventy's learn about wonder woman about 2 decades she has been collecting dust. memories fade at one point Zorro or the lone ranger were action icons now kids and teens have no clue who they are.How i s ww a global icon after doing nothing in mass media for year,why would somebody in china or africa know who she is? superman and batman have to work to keep their iconship, wonder woman not so much.I would bet Green lantern is far more recognizable and popular today than wonder woman.

What about fans of the movie which started hal jordan
    There is really people who liked this movie so much that they call themselves "fans" ?

Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    There is really people who liked this movie so much that they call themselves "fans" ?

Really ?
    maybe a few little kids

as a child I loved batman and robin, and because of that I still do

though honestly I think batman and robin is much more entertaining than the mostly stale green lantern movie
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luck911 View Post
    I would bet Green lantern is far more recognizable and popular today than wonder woman.
    And you'd lose that bet.

Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    Um... we know Green Lantern is currently very popular... we're comic book nerds.

The popularity of the franchise doesn't change history nor is it assured in the long term. Arguably, the current success of the GL books is based on Johns constant shepherding of the line through events and the main book. People who read only one may feel they aren't getting the whole story and jump onto the other books. When that strong line-wide guidance dissipates (Johns has to be done with the GLC books eventually), we'll begin to be able to accurately judge the long-term popularity of those characters.
    This is a good point you make about Green Lantern and the push Johns has given him to make him so popular. Going by that logic, Aquaman should be considered as part of the Trinity since Johns is currently making him such a hot star in the DC Universe, and I don't think anybody would say that.

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    And you'd lose that bet.
    Right. There's hardly anybody around who doesn't know who WW is. Not the case with GL (any of them). The movie and animated program have helped, sure, but Wonder Woman is the #1 female superhero that the average person thinks of.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

No matter how much its forced Superman and Batman are no where near as close to Hal as they are with Wonder Woman. Green Lantern just doesn't fit into the trinity at all
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    This is a good point you make about Green Lantern and the push Johns has given him to make him so popular. Going by that logic, Aquaman should be considered as part of the Trinity since Johns is currently making him such a hot star in the DC Universe, and I don't think anybody would say that.
    No, going by my the logic I've stated multiple times here, there can be no substitution of of individuals in the Trinity, because IT IS A CONSTRUCT REFERRING TO PUBLICATION HISTORY. Popularity has exactly zero importance because it can't change the past.

My point in the above quote was actually highlighting the likely unstable nature of Green Lantern's popularity as a franchise. Without Johns' micro management, the factors that make four books viable aren't assured. In effect, I was saying that this burst in GL popularity is a fad. I was further invalidating the popularity argument by showing that it isn't historically significant.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Green Lantern already has his pairings with The Flash and the Green Arrow. He's fine there. Just like Blue and Gold was fine together.
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    No, going by my the logic I've stated multiple times here, there can be no substitution of of individuals in the Trinity, because IT IS A CONSTRUCT REFERRING TO PUBLICATION HISTORY. Popularity has exactly zero importance because it can't change the past.

My point in the above quote was actually highlighting the likely unstable nature of Green Lantern's popularity as a franchise. Without Johns' micro management, the factors that make four books viable aren't assured. In effect, I was saying that this burst in GL popularity is a fad. I was further invalidating the popularity argument by showing that it isn't historically significant.
    LOL, dude. Calm down. I'm agreeing with you.......

BANNED

Added, if the Trinity of DC was dictated by current popularity, we could have ended up with one consisting of Superman, New Teen Titans and someone else around the mid-80'ties since both Batman and WW were tanking, sales wise before Miller and Perez got going.

But as said numerous times before the Trinity isn't dictated by what currently sells and Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are far bigger than simply names of fictional characters in comic books, they are household names even if no one in them have ever read a comic book, they know who they are.
    For comics they are the archetypes every other comicbook hero can trace their routes back to; the Detective, the Superman and the Wonder Woman.

'No' is my answer to the original question. WW has the history, recognition, and iconic status that none of the GL's have. Hal Jordan, the most famous of the GL's, isn't even the main character in his own book.

Show a picture of WW to anyone in any part of the world, and they would recognize her. Superman/Batman/WW are like the NY Yankees logo, or Michael Jordan, everyone knows what/who they are. Why would DC trade that for a GL?
    Monthly: Animal Man, Batman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman
    Currently reading in Trades: Hellboy LE Vol. 1