Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum_Valentino View Post
    Surely buying two issues of ASM a month equates to buying one of ASM and one of Spectacular back in the day? I can see why people might get annoyed over other titles but when I was growing up there were four Spider-titles every month with Unlimited shipping quarterly or so and countless one-shots. What's changed?
    Umm...maybe some people just bought ASM every month? Or maybe just ASM and Web, or some other variation that don't include all four, and sometimes five, books a month? That was definitely possible when the Spider-Man titles weren't in the middle of crossovers. I know I personally really only picked up ASM and Spectacular regularly each month because Adjectiveless was sort of a light continuity book and Web was clearly dead last in quality. I would only pick up those two if I flipped through them and liked them that month. Same goes for Unlimited during months that it was on shelves.
    Last edited by Memphis Raines; 08-08-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    While the price is annoying its not the main issue for me.

Double shipping coupled with $3.99 is why Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Britain, Agents of Atlas, and other great but 2nd tier titles got cancelled. The double whammy massively affected a lot of people's pocketbooks and forced them to choose between the double shipped titles and these 2nd tier titles and we can see the results by what got cancelled.

If you read comics because of Spidey, Wolverine, and the other big guns and can afford it then great for you. If you found yourself tired to death of reading the same old **** involving these major titles, and I say that as an 25+ year Uncanny X-men junkie, then your really sad and bitter that when some good new stuff died and went away all in the name of double shipping and $3.99.

Thats why double shipping sucks. It kills everything thats not X-men, Avengers, or Spidey centric.
    You do realize that Marvel still makes comics which are not x-men,Avengers or Spidey centric right?
    There is Fantastic Four,Captain Marvel,Punisher,the max titles,Captain America,Deadpool,Dark Tower,Icon titles,Hulk,Ultimate comics,Thor comics,Defenders,Kids comics (Muppets...)...

The titles you mentioned as Nova did not got cancelled by the double shipping or the 3.99 price tag,these titles got cancelled because they had poor sales.
    Simple as that.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Umm...maybe some people just bought ASM every month? Or maybe just ASM and Web, or some other variation that don't include all four, and sometimes five, books a month? That was definitely possible when the Spider-Man titles weren't in the middle of crossovers. I know I personally really only picked up ASM and Spectacular regularly each month
    Right, the question is when Spider-Man went to 1 title 3 times a month, did you shift from buying 1 or 2 S-M titles a month to buying 3?

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    The titles you mentioned as Nova did not got cancelled by the double shipping or the 3.99 price tag,these titles got cancelled because they had poor sales.
    Simple as that.
    Agreed. However, the suggestion is that they are doomed to have poor sales because of the cannibalism going on at the top of Marvel's line-up.

You do realize that Marvel still makes comics which are not x-men,Avengers or Spidey centric right?
    There is Fantastic Four,
    Captain Marvel (Avenger)
    ,Punisher,the max titles,
    Captain America (Avenger)
    Deadpool (Typically X-Men related),
    Dark Tower,Icon titles,Hulk,
    Ultimate comics (Spider-Man, X-men and Ultimates [essentially Avengers]),
    Thor (Avenger) comics,
    Defenders,
    Kids comics (Muppets...)...
    Not to be nit picky but much of what you listed as non "x-men,Avengers or Spidey centric" in fact is.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AaronStC View Post
    Not to be nit picky but much of what you listed as non "x-men,Avengers or Spidey centric" in fact is.
    Not really.

Unless you want to group Captain America, Thor and Defenders as Avengers titles.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Not really.

Unless you want to group Captain America, Thor and Defenders as Avengers titles.
    Captain America and Thor, yes.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Why??

These characters didn't spin out of the Avengers and their solo titles predate the Avengers by a good number of years.

Going by that definition, every single superhero who's part of a team is sub-classified in that book's family of titles.

That's basically saying that Green Lantern, Superman, Flash, Aquaman and Wonder Woman are Justice League titles.

That's totally misleading.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

BANNED

There is Fantastic Four,Captain Marvel,Punisher,the max titles,Captain America,Deadpool,Dark Tower,Icon titles,Hulk,Ultimate comics,Thor comics,Defenders,Kids comics (Muppets...)...

Simple as that.
    That's his point. Marvel fans flock to what marvel considered considers their"important" books which leaves the underdogs with low sales despite being critically acclaimed.

Also Cap is an Avenger title, Deadpool an x title and the ultimate line is based off x men, spidey and avengers titles.

In the past when I've listed Marvel's titles that fall under their 3 Franchises I don't include solo-Avengers titles like Capt. America & Thor (though I do include Wolverine under X-Men).
    I think those are mostly independent of the Avengers banner and stand on their own. The problem I think is that those titles are limited by how much they can grow and gain popularity since they are being smothered by the dozens of other Avengers, X-Men, and Spider-Man titles.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

If that's the case, isn't Wolverine mostly standing on its own outside of most, if not all, X-titles? Sure, it has guest stars here and there. But they're Logan's adventures and very rarely bleed over into Uncanny or WatXM.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    If that's the case, isn't Wolverine mostly standing on its own outside of most, if not all, X-titles? Sure, it has guest stars here and there. But they're Logan's adventures and very rarely bleed over into Uncanny or WatXM.
    The reason for pointing out the Big 3 franchises vs. other titles is a conversation about the customer base buying both. I think the base buying every X-Men book and buying Wolverine are the same, I would not say that about the customer base that buys Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, etc. is also the same one buying Capt. America, Capt. Marvel, the Hulk and Journey into Mystery.

I could be wrong about including Wolverine under the X-Men flagship, but it feels right to me. I do have a question, for instance, on the new Venom, does that count as a Spidey title or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kylun123 View Post

Agreed. However, the suggestion is that they are doomed to have poor sales because of the cannibalism going on at the top of Marvel's line-up.
    But that suggestion is not proved by anything.
    Did the creation of the Justice League comic book way back in the 60s caused the Batman comics,Flash and Wonder Woman comics to have less sales?
    Not at all.
    People read comics they want and like.
    If one wants to read just titles as Avengers or x-men they read them.And if one wants to read titles as Captain Marvel and Punisher they read those titles.
    The publishing mode have nothing to do with what titles sell more or less.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kylun123 View Post
    The reason for pointing out the Big 3 franchises vs. other titles is a conversation about the customer base buying both. I think the base buying every X-Men book and buying Wolverine are the same, I would not say that about the customer base that buys Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, etc. is also the same one buying Capt. America, Capt. Marvel, the Hulk and Journey into Mystery.

I could be wrong about including Wolverine under the X-Men flagship, but it feels right to me. I do have a question, for instance, on the new Venom, does that count as a Spidey title or not?
    I don't see why someone that buys Captain America would be different than the folks buying Avengers. The latter still stars Captain America in it. I mean, sure, they are separate books and don't tie into each other more often than not. But I'd say the base is still likely to buy both if they're Cap fans.

And Venom is a Spidey title, kinda kinda, but I'd say it does well at doing its own thing for the most part. Same with Scarlet Spider. They're spin-offs that went their own way.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    That's his point. Marvel fans flock to what marvel considered considers their"important" books which leaves the underdogs with low sales despite being critically acclaimed.

Also Cap is an Avenger title, Deadpool an x title and the ultimate line is based off x men, spidey and avengers titles.
    Marvel produces more comics that are popular as Avengers just as DC produces plenty of Batman related titles.
    It is not marvel fault if people dont buy enough quantities of other underdogs titles.

And saying that titles as Thor,Captain America are Avengers titles is over generalizing these titles.
    Then one might as well say that the Batman titles,Flash,Super Man,Wonder Woman titles are justice league titles as well.
    Titles as Thor have nothing to do with the Avengers stories,except thor being a avenger.

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Why??

These characters didn't spin out of the Avengers and their solo titles predate the Avengers by a good number of years.

Going by that definition, every single superhero who's part of a team is sub-classified in that book's family of titles.

That's basically saying that Green Lantern, Superman, Flash, Aquaman and Wonder Woman are Justice League titles.

That's totally misleading.
    Exactly.
    Rushing to say titles as Captain America and Thor are Avengers titles are just over generalizing these titles and do not aknowledge the very own stories direction those titles have that have nothing to do with the stories of the Avengers.