Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Captain America and Hulk arent as popular as Spider-man and Wolverine
    Nor as popular as Batgirl & Batwoman either apparently. And the fact that they start with a "Bat" in the title is like saying if Storm or Spider-Girl had a solo title they'd be top 30 books . . .

And the point is that DC's environment can support titles like Swamp Thing & Animal Man at the same levels of Marvel's Capt. America & Hulk. That can't happen in Marvel's current lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    They don't? 'Cause all I've heard is about how Captain America is under the Avengers franchise, which I'll loosely agree with.
    Not from me you haven't. When I talk about swallowing up Franchises I don't include Avengers solo series (Iron Man, Thor, Capt. America, etc.) under the Avengers franchise. I don't think they are the same.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 08-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Marvel produces more comics that are popular as Avengers just as DC produces plenty of Batman related titles.
    It is not marvel fault if people dont buy enough quantities of other underdogs titles.

And saying that titles as Thor,Captain America are Avengers titles is over generalizing these titles.
    Then one might as well say that the Batman titles,Flash,Super Man,Wonder Woman titles are justice league titles as well.
    Titles as Thor have nothing to do with the Avengers stories,except thor being a avenger.
    As always your missing the point.

Nova, GotG, Captain Britain and the rest all fell to cancellation level because of $3.99 and double shipping. Oh they were never top sellers but they were doing okay. Then when readers were forced to make a choice they chose the big gun titles. Great for fans of those books, not so great for fans of the smaller books.

To put it another way look at DC where they don't double ship but imagine if they did. Do you really think critically acclaimed books like Animal Man, Justice League Dark, and Swamp Thing would survive if the four Batman titles, the three GL titles, Justice League, and the Superman titles all double shipped? A lot of readers would have to choose between the double shipped stuff or dropping the other titles. You would see the three titles I mention slip into cancellation range.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

[QUOTE=Kylun123;15663321]Nor as popular as Batgirl & Batwoman either apparently. And the fact that they start with a "Bat" in the title is like saying if Storm or Spider-Girl had a solo title they'd be top 30 books . . .

And the point is that DC's environment can support titles like Swamp Thing & Animal Man at the same levels of Marvel's Capt. America & Hulk. That can't happen in Marvel's current lineup.

Not from me you haven't. When I talk about swallowing up Franchises I don't include Avengers solo series (Iron Man, Thor, Capt. America, etc.) under the Avengers franchise. I don't think they are the same.[/

What do Batgirl and Batwoman have to do with this discussion??

We were discussing the most popular titles from each company selling more than others which is exactly what's happening.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post

Nova, GotG, Captain Britain and the rest all fell to cancellation level because of $3.99 and double shipping. Oh they were never top sellers but they were doing okay. Then when readers were forced to make a choice they chose the big gun titles. Great for fans of those books, not so great for fans of the smaller books.

To put it another way look at DC where they don't double ship but imagine if they did. Do you really think critically acclaimed books like Animal Man, Justice League Dark, and Swamp Thing would survive if the four Batman titles, the three GL titles, Justice League, and the Superman titles all double shipped? A lot of readers would have to choose between the double shipped stuff or dropping the other titles. You would see the three titles I mention slip into cancellation range.
    Where does it say this?
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Exactly.

I can't imagine dropping a title I I love like Daredevil to get an Avengers or X-title simply "Marvel says so". Those titles are pretty different in content.

It's some thing I've never done and I honestly have never met anyone that buys comics like that.
    The problem is you keep spinning the point you are arguing against into this literal example of being commanded by Marvel. What we are talking about is the reality of having to choose which books to follow when double shipping is rampant, but this also applies to franchise bloat. If I like title A better than title B and C and title A double ships, do I drop title A and keep B and C, or drop B and C and keep A? If Marvel puts out title D that is pretty close in theme to A which looks like something I'd like, and says that a lot of what goes on in A will effect D and the other way around, I might again have to decide to drop B or C to make room. Those are the types of scenarios that are happening which are directly due to Marvel trying to get more out of their best selling franchises.

The rest of this might belong in the 'is Marvel's focus too narrow' thread, but it might make sense for Marvel, sales wise, in the short term, to focus on those, especially for people who prefer what is getting the focus and end up not missing what they give up, but it sucks for people who see a book canceled that people were at some point satisfied reading and I'd say weakens the Marvel brand overall, in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    They don't? 'Cause all I've heard is about how Captain America is under the Avengers franchise, which I'll loosely agree with. I'll also agree that Batman and Superman are key characters in the Justice League comic.
    It's probably more accurate to state that Justice League is a Batman family book. Batman > JLA.
    DC simply doesn't treat Justice League as a franchise in the same way Marvel does the Avengers and X-Men.

The difference for me is this: in Captan America and Iron Man solo books, the Avengers play a large part. In Green Lantern and Wonder Woman, the JLA might as well not exist.
    Marvel also markets those books as Avengers books. DC does not market it's general superhero books as JLA books.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post

As always i am missing the point,you say?
    Thats funny said by someone which said something that made no sense,as the jumps in logic that double shipping was responsible by the cancellation of low selling titles which would get cancelled anyways because they were getting low sales.
    By the way marvel started do double shiping most of the titles way after the titles you mentioned got cancelled.
    So whats next?
    Marvel double shiping of their titles is responsible of the World hunger as well?
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Unless I'm mistaken, there really wasn't any double-shipping (not like there is now) when Nova, Guardians, and Captain Britain were canceled. Definitely not for Captain Britain.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, there really wasn't any double-shipping (not like there is now) when Nova, Guardians, and Captain Britain were canceled. Definitely not for Captain Britain.
    I'd agree. Even though I argue that double shipping affects the sales of lower selling titles, I think most of those Marvel has given up on (not creatively, but with their shareholders in mind). I think double shipping has more to do with market shares while getting things reorganized for the NOW! relaunch. Hopefully they are confident in this new lineup and keep double shipping to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I think just Amazing Spider-Man, which tripple-shipped.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

BANNED

A simple thought experiment...

Let's say you rebooted the MU with 52 new titles starring 52 different characters. At the end of each week, you replaced the lowest selling book with a new book starring the main character of the highest-selling book. Good enough plan, right? But at the end of the year you're left with 52 books about the same character, and your sales will inevitably be worse than what you started with. Somewhere in the middle there, you reached a critical turning point where overexposure ended up dooming your line. How far is Marvel from that point right now, or have they passed it already?

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    How far is Marvel from that point right now, or have they passed it already?
    Decently far, I'd say. I mean, DC has Batman, Batman Incorporated, Batman & Robin, Batman: The Dark Knight, and Detective Comics, all starring the same character. Doesn't seem to have bothered their sales much. Marvel doesn't have anyone who has exposure to that degree. Even if you grant that Batman & Robin and Batman Incorporated can focus on other characters, you still have three titles, which Marvel only recently did with thrice-monthly Amazing Spider-Man.

So I'd say DC's record, at least, shows that multiple ongoings with the same character can still be financially viable. I'm not sure what the breaking point would be, but Marvel's not even to DC's point, so it's moot.

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

There is no way you can tell me the Wolverine at some point has not had as many books going at once as Batman has with mini series and ongoings and being on every team in the Marvel U also.

The BIG difference is that for every Batman book DC has an Aquaman or a Firestorm or a Animal Man or a Frankenstein. Marvel just flat out can not claim that type of diveristy to the line anymore. Everything is Avengers or X-Men related with a few Spider Man titles thrown in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There is no way you can tell me the Wolverine at some point has not had as many books going at once as Batman has with mini series and ongoings and being on every team in the Marvel U also.
    I haven't kept track well enough to say, but I think they've never gone over more than three actual Wolverine series at a time.

Now, taking team titles or guest-appearances into account might change things, but that doesn't really hit into the scenario that was suggested.

EDIT: Upon looking through some stuff, he apparently was the lead or co-star of four titles in January of last year, one of which was a mini.
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 08-08-2012 at 04:43 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

The BIG difference is that for every Batman book DC has an Aquaman or a Firestorm or a Animal Man or a Frankenstein. Marvel just flat out can not claim that type of diveristy to the line anymore. Everything is Avengers or X-Men related with a few Spider Man titles thrown in the mix.
    And Deadpool.