Default UPDATE:Mignola Long Beach Comic Con appearance Saturday ONLY!

This is such a great small show that brings out such stellar talent like our very own Mike Mignola!
    Here's all the info:

http://longbeachcomiccon.com

Very cool, that would be a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by gdeo View Post
    This is such a great small show that brings out such stellar talent like our very own Mike Mignola!
    Here's all the info:

http://longbeachcomiccon.com
    Due to keeping on schedule with HB in Hell Mike has had to cancel this appearance...

This just in...those of you making your way to the con tomorrow may be fortunate enough to catch Mike hanging out for a bit!
    Good news,indeed!

Mike will be in Signing Area #1 from 12-4pm
    there will be sketchbooks,t shirts,trade paper backs,and other goodies.
    All proceeds from items sold ,will go towards the relief fund for those affected hurricane Sandy.
    So ,come on out and show your support!

Quote Originally Posted by gdeo View Post
    Mike will be in Signing Area #1 from 12-4pm
    there will be sketchbooks,t shirts,trade paper backs,and other goodies.
    All proceeds from items sold ,will go towards the relief fund for those affected hurricane Sandy.
    So ,come on out and show your support!
    That's very awesome that the Mignola's were willing to donate to the Sandy effort and that Mike was able to make an appearance at the show after all! I keep saying I'm going to make it out to this one someday, especially since it's relatively close, but at least this year it wasn't meant to be. Hope all who went had fun!

Also, Skeleton Head t-shirts are reduced to $15 and proceeds from their sale on artofmikemignola.com are going to hurricane relief. The shirts are also being retired after this batch is sold out, so get yours while they last.

@4:40
    I thought it was interesting the way Mike Mignola thinks of the stories (at least in Baltimore) in terms of the trades, not the singles. He's already thinking of upcoming stories as volume 4 and that probably won't be out 'til late 2014 or 2015.

@4:05
    Also interesting is that in 2013 Mike will be writing two series about existing characters that don't have their own titles yet. Obviously one of these is Sledgehammer '44 (which may be a part of the Trevor Bruttenholm series set in World War II Mike has mentioned he's working on), but as for the other... I've no idea. Maybe Shonchin? He has mentioned possibly doing a Hyperborean era series before.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    @4:40
    I thought it was interesting the way Mike Mignola thinks of the stories (at least in Baltimore) in terms of the trades, not the singles. He's already thinking of upcoming stories as volume 4 and that probably won't be out 'til late 2014 or 2015.
    Yeah, 'though I think I've heard mr. Mike describing Hellboy 'books' like that, from I guess as early on as 'Wake the Devil', like discussing that as being 'a book' more rather than a series of installments, going from 1 to 5.
    Which makes sense from a creator or author's standpoint I'd guess, because nevermind how many or few installments or either how multiple narrational perspectives it would contain, Wake the Devil or be it 'Baltimore: the Plague Ships' would still be *one book to create from start to end* I suppose?
    Whereas for instance the Athurian Lineage for Hellboy could have become to feel or pan out as something too big for remaining one book, why it might have gotten made into a book-trilogy more rather?
    Or how basically Baltimore first introduces itself as being a prose book, yet later as branching out as being a comic title.

I've always taken either Hellboy or BPRD as seeming more like REH Solomon Kane or Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, more rather than like regular ongoing comic titles like Batman or Spider-Man. As if both Hellboy and BPRD would be about storytelling more rather than purely a repetitive or perfectly balanced setup as per adventure once at a time each time and again. Stories could pan out to proving short both as way long or anywhere in between, whereas at no time any sequentialness would necessarily be to fade or lessen because of such. Same as the original Solomon Kane stories or either Sherlock Holmes ones, which in themselves also may prove to vary, without becoming irregular or unbalanced for a result?

Although granted: for both Holmes or Solomon Kane I personally wouldn't know what the number of volumes or books would have to be the official leading count, but at least for Hellboy it seems that a rather strict routine can be applied, in case of single & trade & Library Edition format, as per 'limited series' or trade (as being identical except for short story collections) which is re-applied similarly in the Lib Eds.

I wouldn't feel that Baltimore or be it BPRD or Witchfinder would seem too different from this. Or only storylines set outside of what might appear as being more rather regular or ongoing seeming continuities.
    Such as any standalones or oneshots - which seem to happen on so many ongoing sequential stuffs so regularly, perhaps due to what continuity or ongoingness would appear to seeming regular, that any stepping away from such would be 'pinpointable' as proving extraordinary or different from normal - as if such differences away from regularity would be the point to 'standalones' for the most part? Like for setting some stuff apart and then to expand or explore on it?

(P.S.: I guess I personally like basically any variation or diversity more rather than stuff getting kept all tidy or regular. Also for any being "monthly" or "weekly" or such seems not a big thing for me. I guess I like quality over any quantity or regularity always. And for sequentialness or continuity depth or any such, I guess what I'll mainly be liking is good storytelling both graphically as well as in terms of narrative.
    Which - from my perspective - seems to have been sort of a prime directive or major goal for either Baltimore or BPRD or any Hellboy-related title from the moment any of it was started being released.)
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-06-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Yeah, there's no doubt he really thinks hard about the trades as the eventual presentation of the stories. I find it interesting that the two short stories How Koshchei Became Deathless and Baba Yaga's Feast, barely an issue's worth of material, already had a plan for the trade they will eventually call home back in 2009. Scott Allie said it was a "long term plan" and he wasn't kidding. It seems no story is written without some thought being given to where it will eventually make its home in a trade. And yet no plan is too set in stone to change either. I like that.

Yeah, there's no doubt he really thinks hard about the trades as the eventual presentation of the stories.
    That's an interesting interview, and I've found myself over the last few years enjoying each series more once it was collected, or at least once all the issues were released - often I've taken to saving a series until the run is done and then reading it as one contiguous tale.

Yeah, there's no doubt he really thinks hard about the trades as the eventual presentation of the stories. I find it interesting that the two short stories How Koshchei Became Deathless and Baba Yaga's Feast, barely an issue's worth of material, already had a plan for the trade they will eventually call home back in 2009. Scott Allie said it was a "long term plan" and he wasn't kidding. It seems no story is written without some thought being given to where it will eventually make its home in a trade. And yet no plan is too set in stone to change either. I like that.
    I seemed to have miss the news on this... What trade will they be in?

Yeah, there's no doubt he really thinks hard about the trades as the eventual presentation of the stories.
    I think so too.
    I'd guess mr Mike thinks on it - since Hellboy has been his thing, his ideal version of what would be making a good and fun *book*, since he'd be the one having to make it.

Although Scott Allie and anyone involved seems to be made to get involved on adding their best onto it, whether it'd be Hellboy or BPRD, whether it'd be canon-like or not so much, any of it seems made for proving good and fun and diverse and even innovative or at least intricate.

Like the back-up features for instance, the Guy Davis ones you mention, which were necessary in order to fit or span 'HB: the Wild Hunt' over a convenient issue-sized page-count overall. Since any single issue must contain a fixed number of pages, as well as a convenient number of issues. Most limited series amount to 5 issues, but since the Wild Hunt exceeded such - well - apparently they went with 8 issues, maybe also due to the implemented break in publication half-way? Which resulted in the extra stories getting fitted in the singles?

But aside from the need or direct function to backups, like Guy Davis's splendid 'The Lobster' faux moviestar feature both as the great Gary Gianni backup-bits, or the Manly Made Wellman thing, it could be stuff like that became an aspect to Hellboy-related titles for the sheer FUN to them.
    Like Hellboy Junior also. As if fun and whackiness would be a positive thing.
    Which I'd personally agree to, since fun and whackiness seem a vital aspect for any nifty or buff fiction, since fiction doesn't necessarily relate to realisticalness or perfect continuity or such, but instead since fiction'd be fiction for good reason.

And yet no plan is too set in stone to change either. I like that.
    Agreed. Something very important and needed for any thinking ahead or trying to do stuff right would be to deviate or come back from any plan or idea or on things, if needed. And since it would be all a creative process in the first place, it will only pay off to grow or move with how things'd be to evolve, I'd believe?

I believe much care and effort is put into having creativity and creative teams be but swell and inspired. Both as by inviting on new talent, as well as by incorporating established buffs like Trimpe and Nowlan and Craig Russell, Corben and the late Al Severin.
    And the way the books keep on being made so well and as remaining completely their own thing is just utterly remarkable.
    Which any those involved, both as Dark Horse as publisher, including one mr Mike Richardson, 'd be deserving much credit for. Hella much !

Jeepers, I'm sounding sorta preachy or bloaty/furry of late, must be something I ate. Gonna tone down on having my pretzels too salty if it helps.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-07-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Storey74 View Post
    I seemed to have miss the news on this... What trade will they be in?
    No idea. All that Scott Allie revealed was that there was a long-term plan to collect them, and it won't be in any of the currently existing titles (Hellboy, B.P.R.D., Lobster Johnson, Witchfinder or Abe Sapien). Although next year two more series will be introduced, so it could be one of those. I know Mike Mignola has spoken about doing a Hyperborean era story in the past. Perhaps they may be collected with that?
    Last edited by Middenway; 11-07-2012 at 02:55 PM.