Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Batman INC future is still a different universe to the Beyond anyway.

Is the Batman Inc. future the same as the one seen in Morrison's Batman?

I think, given that Damian Batman takes over the mentor role, Morrison's Terry McGinnis is actually Damian's son. Same plot, different DNA stolen, still Batman. It's the cleanest way to make it work. I actually think that would be better, because it gives more time for Gotham to turn into Gothic Blade Runner and Damian (especially given his Batman and Robin history) would be a more interesting mentor.

Damn it, now I just want a Damian Beyond mini...
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Terry>>>>>>>>>>>>>Damian

But I still think it should be set in an AU.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

I really like the idea of Damian being Terry's father. It would make a better time line.

BANNED

I've read the entire Morrison Batman run, The Batman and Robin trade not written by Morrison, Batman Incorporated vol 1, Flashpoint, and Batman Earth One.....and jebus am I ever confused.

There's definitely more than one Terry out there, which makes this question difficult to answer. If I'm not mistaken:

1. The first two Batman Beyond series are set in the DCAU, and are canon with the TV series.

2. The next two Batman Beyond series are set in a possible future of the pre-Flashpoint DCU rather than the DCAU (as they were spun out of Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman series).

3. The Terry seen in Batman #700 is mentored by Damian, not Bruce, so he's definitely distinct from the previous two. This is commonly assumed to be another "possible future of the DCU".

4. Not sure about the latest series (Batman Beyond Unlimited, along with its contemporaries). This Terry may exist in his own separate universe, or may exist in either #1 or #2 above.

5. Another Terry is seen in Countdown to Final Crisis on Earth-12.
    Last edited by RockyBanks; 11-28-2012 at 01:40 PM.

2. The next two Batman Beyond series are set in a possible future of the pre-Flashpoint DCU rather than the DCAU (as they were spun out of Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman series).
    No, that's wrong. Pre-reboot, they were based on the DCAU, but with some elements of the DCU added to its past. It never really seemed to break its ties to the animated continuity though.

5. Another Terry is seen in Countdown to Final Crisis on Earth-12.
    Most people just took Earth-12 to be the same as the comic series and the DCAU continuity, although I don't think it was ever directly confirmed.

They reference Terry being Bruce's biological son in Justice League Beyond, IIRC, so that would be a yes.

The Avatar of Vengeance melkorjunior's Avatar

Terry>>>>>>>>>>>>>Damian
    Yes yes absolutely yes. I'm still hoping that when Morrison finishes his run Damian will be killed off. Morrison has hinted that he's going to conclude Damian's story somehow for the next writer. Terry McGinnis, on the other hand--if they introduced him into the New 52 as Bruce's kid I'd be very happy.

(And I don't care that according to Batman and Robin #0, Damian means "to tame". It's still a stupid name that makes me wince every time anyone in a Batman comic says it.)

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    No, that's wrong. Pre-reboot, they were based on the DCAU, but with some elements of the DCU added to its past. It never really seemed to break its ties to the animated continuity though.
    Adam Beechen stated at the Emerald City Comic-Con that the 2010 series was set in the DCU, not the DCAU. (link) I imagine that's why this version of Terry was introduced in a DCU series before his own launched.

Admittedly, there were no real differences between this version and the DCAU version, but if we're being technical...

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    Adam Beechen stated at the Emerald City Comic-Con that the 2010 series was set in the DCU, not the DCAU. (link) I imagine that's why this version of Terry was introduced in a DCU series before his own launched.

Admittedly, there were no real differences between this version and the DCAU version, but if we're being technical...
    That's not what he said or intended with the series. People thought he was merging the two when that article was first released but it was clarified that when he said, "Coming to the DCU" he only meant it was getting it's own ongoing. He added in elements from the current DCU, like a reference to Batman Inc. and Hush, but he explained it as that it wasn't a merger between the two universes or that Batman Beyond was the future of the DCU, but instead it was just the case that he felt that events currently happening in the comics could have taken place in the animated universe in some form during the time between when JLU ended and Batman Beyond began.

There's only two versions here, the Terry we know from the cartoon and whose further adventures we've seen across several comic runs and the Terry in Morrison's 666 future which may or may not ever come to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's not what he said or intended with the series. People thought he was merging the two when that article was first released but it was clarified that when he said, "Coming to the DCU" he only meant it was getting it's own ongoing. He added in elements from the current DCU, like a reference to Batman Inc. and Hush, but he explained it as that it wasn't a merger between the two universes or that Batman Beyond was the future of the DCU, but instead it was just the case that he felt that events currently happening in the comics could have taken place in the animated universe in some form during the time between when JLU ended and Batman Beyond began.

There's only two versions here, the Terry we know from the cartoon and whose further adventures we've seen across several comic runs and the Terry in Morrison's 666 future which may or may not ever come to happen.
    Assuming you're right, does this mean that Earth-12 is officially the DCAU?

Pre DCNU they were trying to marry BB to Batman Inc, but it was really weak. If Bruce Wayne publicly supports and finances Batman when he is young, and then re-enters the public eye as an old man with a stout young man as his assistant only after a young Batman emerges in Neo Gotham it would be far too obvious.

I find it easier to consider Batman Beyond and all the other Beyond stories as their own little universe. I don't care to relate every little thing that has ever happened and more importantly what is happening to something that takes place fifty years from now. The writing on Beyond is brilliant, who cares whether or not it interacts with the Court of Owls or Blackest Night.
    x____sign here____

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrosn View Post
    But I'm saying, does anyone know if the Terry that is seen in Morrison's Batman is Bruce's son? If he is, it would give Damian another reason to have rescued him.
    Why would a superhero need another reason to rescue a kidnapped child?

Similarly, Morrison had Batman address, early on, why it was less important that Damian was his biological son, than it is significant that Damian is a young child who's had a horrible and abusive and frightening upbringing who could use some good direction and genuine care. That's why Bruce and fam take in Damian, not because he's genetically related to Bruce but because the kid benefits from them and they can keep him safer than turning him loose does.