Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverTaskmaster View Post
    Hey, Lbo. I was wondering something. Did you never watch those Nitros in the 90s? If not you are gonna be in for some nice surprises. I really liked that WCW period from the NWO until the closure of WCW. I enjoyed that WCW period more than the WWE period at that time.
    hell yes i watched them back then. i had a freaking blast reliving sept 97- sept 98 nitros & ppv in order and just by dumb luck i got the entire 99 nitro set for free, so i ordered the PPV's on dvd. i forgot a lot of stuff and just appreciate somethings more now rewatching so there's still some surprise factor to the viewing, plus my son watches some of it with me and just trips out.

i enjoyed WCW more at this time too. i was a big fan of the rock back then but austin vs mackman never did it for me.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

watched superbrawl 1999 and enjoyed the hell out of it. surprisingly even the main event(maybe i was just in a good mood)

superbrawl February 21 1999, this happened in oakland, shit i wish i would've went, i've got peeps that always give me my props when i go to oaktown so i don't have to bust a cap.

booker t vs disco inferno, was damn good. disco is criminally underrated during this time. he consistently has good matches and crowd reactions no matter what he's involved in. booker was in top form 2 and they just put on a hell if a match that both guys came out looking good in.

jericho w/ralphus vs saturn(in a dress) loser wears the dress. good, awesome finish. dickenson is the ref who screwed saturn putting him in a dress in the 1st place but after a suspension is calling this match too. funny enough he calls it down the middle here. saturn has the match won but decides to DVD the ref and walk out keeping the dress for himself. jericho of course celebrates the win regardless.

kidman vs chavo, solid. these 2 were partners in the tag tourney that had a falling out. kidman was the CW champ and this was a nice defense for him.

double elimination tag tourney semi/possible final. benoit/malenko vs windham/hennig. hennig/windham come into this undefeated, malenko/benoit suffered 1 loss(to hennig/windham) so in order for beniot/malenko to win they must beat hennig/windham twice, should a 2nd match take place there will be a 30 second rest period between matches. damn good tag match, lots of back and forth. high workrate when benoit/malenko are in charge and great heel tactics from hennig/windham. benoit makes windham tap. afterwords benoit/malenko choose not to allow hennig/windham the rest period and just stay on them which proves a mistake. as the ref is trying to get control windham takes his belt and chokes malenko out with it then makes the pin. the way windham uses the belt and hides it after is so slick and heelish, i fukn LOVED IT.

nash/hall(replacing luger) w/luger and liz vs rey/konehead hair(liz) vs mask(rey). decent. outsiders sell pretty well for rey and konehead. rey looks like a kid w/o the mask. rey takes some huge bumps.

steiner vs DDP, loved it!! lots of build to this and steiner was fukn awesome at this time in and out of the ring, buff also does a lot to make steiner look great. this is how i like a heel to be booked. sure he takes short cuts, maybe even cheats but NEVER looks incapable of winning w/o the shenanigans. great match.

scott hall vs piper US title. good actually. i usually tune out when piper is in the ring but this was just a battle of heel tactics. even though piper was a face he's infamous for breaking the rules and has no problem matching hall in that regard. of course the finish is not clean, but in this type of match winning clean would be like taking a shortcut.

bam bam bigelow vs goldberg. GOOD. when i watch matches like this i don't understand why goldberg gets all the shit he does. yes he did a lot of squash matches, but when the time called he could put on a good match and HE COULD SELL when he was supposed to. bam bam works his leg and he sells it the whole way through. good battle where bam bam still came out looking good despite the loss.

hogan vs flair for the world title, now 1st let me say i do not like this being for the main title much less the main event even in 1999, and i actually hate both guys but i enjoyed this just for LOLZ. watching them bump and sell in their leather skin suits for each other was funny as shit. between hogans bald head and flairs flapjack tits i couldn't help but be entertained even though this was the type of shit i disliked the most about WCW back in those days. finish with david flair tasing flair was funny but not hilarious.

overall i had a great time watching this, every match on the card had at least a little build to it, many a lot of build. if bitchoff was booking this i have to say aside from his choice of main events i think he was doing a good job of making good tv and worthy PPV events.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

In 1999 WCW was moving along at a pace where Bischoff was trying his ass off to recreate the magic and pull viewers away from the WWF. In 1998 the business changed and Austin 3:16 became the hottest damn phrase ever. The angle Austin/McMahon attracted millions of fans and WCW started its slow fade into oblivion . The ideas came quick and fast . Bischoff would cut deals with KISS and more to inject something. He'd also have ideas to do spots with NBA players and talk show hosts. One of his funniest disasters was ...the Master P experiment.

The idea seems sound when you think for a few seconds. Popular rap star shows up with new face group and faces heel tandem created to oppose them. Its simple and easy. Of course what was not expected was the utter disaster they put on screen and who the rapper was ...

Master P

Master P was at one time a hot rap artist who in the late 90's was on a roll. With big charting albums and a bank roll to match. Its estimated by Forbes that Master P banked over $56+ million in one year alone. The guy was making money and known. So with his name and being famous Eric Bischoff saw him and decided , he needed to be on WCW. That the fans who loved "Ice Cream Man" would suddenly flock to Master P and his No Limit Soldiers. The group was gonna be named after P's label "No Limit Records".

The No Limit Soldiers was Chase Tatum , Swoll (Randy Thorton) , Konnan , Rey Mysterio Jr , 4x4 (Teddy Reade) and BA (Brad Armstrong). Why WCW felt Brad Armstrong would be for a rap group after years of wrestling in the south and being from there beats me. But this wasn't his silliest new gimmick he'd receive...that would be a year later and go around as a pot head (which some claim was a shot at RVD).

The group needed heels to work against so WCW pushed Bobby Duncan Jr , Curt Henning , Barry & Kendell Windham together and formed the West Texas Rednecks. The group was supposed to be hated. But that didn't exactly happen.

The 1st appearance of Master P basically spelled doom for the group itself...

The fans didn't know how to react to a leader who's biggest contribution to the mic was yelling "Rowdy rowdy and hoootie hoo" . The fans quickly turned against Master P and the NLS group each time P would talk. Rumors was Master P himself started to get angry backstage because the fan reaction was so negative . Within weeks Master P would quit and the guys involved would do the angle.

The WTR meanwhile was a heel group that got cheered the moment they cut a comedy single called "Rap is Crap". That exploded and the group did another single soon after called "Good Ole Boys". Even though Henning wasn't from Texas the fans didn't care. They either to cheer a group where a dude hooted like an owl loudly or guys who acted like good ole boys from Texas who sang . It wasn't a contest.

WCW meanwhile having no clue what to do with the stable once they folded the No Limit Soldiers had the West Texas Rednecks disband in October. But WCW would constantly screw themselves and end things that was starting to get over or turn guys in this period a lot.

Sadly in this angle 3 wrestlers are no longer with us. Chase Tatum passed away in 2008 due to an overdose on painkillers . Curt Henning passed away in 2003 due to cocaine in his system . His father claims steroids and pain killers also played a part in his death. And sadly Bobby Duncan Jr would pass in 2000 due to painkiller overdose . RIP guys...
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    In 1999 WCW was moving along at a pace where Bischoff was trying his ass off to recreate the magic and pull viewers away from the WWF. In 1998 the business changed and Austin 3:16 became the hottest damn phrase ever. The angle Austin/McMahon attracted millions of fans and WCW started its slow fade into oblivion . The ideas came quick and fast . Bischoff would cut deals with KISS and more to inject something. He'd also have ideas to do spots with NBA players and talk show hosts. One of his funniest disasters was ...the Master P experiment.

The idea seems sound when you think for a few seconds. Popular rap star shows up with new face group and faces heel tandem created to oppose them. Its simple and easy. Of course what was not expected was the utter disaster they put on screen and who the rapper was ...

Master P

Master P was at one time a hot rap artist who in the late 90's was on a roll. With big charting albums and a bank roll to match. Its estimated by Forbes that Master P banked over $56+ million in one year alone. The guy was making money and known. So with his name and being famous Eric Bischoff saw him and decided , he needed to be on WCW. That the fans who loved "Ice Cream Man" would suddenly flock to Master P and his No Limit Soldiers. The group was gonna be named after P's label "No Limit Records".

The No Limit Soldiers was Chase Tatum , Swoll (Randy Thorton) , Konnan , Rey Mysterio Jr , 4x4 (Teddy Reade) and BA (Brad Armstrong). Why WCW felt Brad Armstrong would be for a rap group after years of wrestling in the south and being from there beats me. But this wasn't his silliest new gimmick he'd receive...that would be a year later and go around as a pot head (which some claim was a shot at RVD).

The group needed heels to work against so WCW pushed Bobby Duncan Jr , Curt Henning , Barry & Kendell Windham together and formed the West Texas Rednecks. The group was supposed to be hated. But that didn't exactly happen.

The 1st appearance of Master P basically spelled doom for the group itself...

The fans didn't know how to react to a leader who's biggest contribution to the mic was yelling "Rowdy rowdy and hoootie hoo" . The fans quickly turned against Master P and the NLS group each time P would talk. Rumors was Master P himself started to get angry backstage because the fan reaction was so negative . Within weeks Master P would quit and the guys involved would do the angle.

The WTR meanwhile was a heel group that got cheered the moment they cut a comedy single called "Rap is Crap". That exploded and the group did another single soon after called "Good Ole Boys". Even though Henning wasn't from Texas the fans didn't care. They either to cheer a group where a dude hooted like an owl loudly or guys who acted like good ole boys from Texas who sang . It wasn't a contest.

WCW meanwhile having no clue what to do with the stable once they folded the No Limit Soldiers had the West Texas Rednecks disband in October. But WCW would constantly screw themselves and end things that was starting to get over or turn guys in this period a lot.

Sadly in this angle 3 wrestlers are no longer with us. Chase Tatum passed away in 2008 due to an overdose on painkillers . Curt Henning passed away in 2003 due to cocaine in his system . His father claims steroids and pain killers also played a part in his death. And sadly Bobby Duncan Jr would pass in 2000 due to painkiller overdose . RIP guys...
    I do wonder what WCW would have been like if Eric managed to aquire it before Vince did. It looked like it was heading on the right track. It's tag division was looking good and the cruiserweight division found it's footing.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

No task too small ForeverTaskmaster's Avatar

Master P's hootie hoo was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. I hated it.

Hey, Lbo, did Steiner have those 2 valets already? Shakira (not the singer, but the valet) and Midajah? Shakira was very beautiful, by the way. And did the Steiner and Buff vignettes already air? I believe there were only 2 of them or something, but they were funny.

It's a shame that Eric couldn't buy WCW. It might have been alive yet, seeing as that the WWE isn't doing much to improve its product.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I do wonder what WCW would have been like if Eric managed to aquire it before Vince did. It looked like it was heading on the right track. It's tag division was looking good and the cruiserweight division found it's footing.
    Master P's hootie hoo was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. I hated it.

Hey, Lbo, did Steiner have those 2 valets already? Shakira (not the singer, but the valet) and Midajah? Shakira was very beautiful, by the way. And did the Steiner and Buff vignettes already air? I believe there were only 2 of them or something, but they were funny.

It's a shame that Eric couldn't buy WCW. It might have been alive yet, seeing as that the WWE isn't doing much to improve its product.

Bischoff revealed his plans in 2001 when he was close to owning the company. He literally was in receivership of the company in 45 days and was gonna be the #1 boss of the company.

1.) Bischoff claimed he was gonna retool Nitro and Thunder. Both shows were gonna be taken off for 6 months and come back in September as a relaunch.

2.) The 2 key stars Bischoff was gonna push hard was :

and

Bischoff claimed Storm and O'Haire was gonna be the future of his WCW.

3.) More young cruiserweight talent was gonna be signed. Bischoff had already brought in Air Paris and AJ Styles as a team. But he was gonna renew a working relationship with Japan again. He also was gonna bring in more Mexican luchadores as well.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

No task too small ForeverTaskmaster's Avatar

Storm was ok. Sean O'Haire was wasted. I really expected him to become one of the new big stars in WWE, but it didn't happen.

Storm was ok. Sean O'Haire was wasted. I really expected him to become one of the new big stars in WWE, but it didn't happen.
    He did some of the best vignettes in such a long time and was wasted in WWE.

Its scary how the company had such great vignettes of O'Haire air and blow it with him so quick.

He did some of the best vignettes in such a long time and was wasted in WWE.

Its scary how the company had such great vignettes of O'Haire air and blow it with him so quick.
    Part of O'Haire's problem was that he wasn't WWE groomed talent. When Vince claimed on a promo that he was going to bury WCW he wasn't kidding about that. And boy did WCW get buried during the Invasion Angle

Bischoff revealed his plans in 2001 when he was close to owning the company. He literally was in receivership of the company in 45 days and was gonna be the #1 boss of the company.

1.) Bischoff claimed he was gonna retool Nitro and Thunder. Both shows were gonna be taken off for 6 months and come back in September as a relaunch.

2.) The 2 key stars Bischoff was gonna push hard was :

and

Bischoff claimed Storm and O'Haire was gonna be the future of his WCW.

3.) More young cruiserweight talent was gonna be signed. Bischoff had already brought in Air Paris and AJ Styles as a team. But he was gonna renew a working relationship with Japan again. He also was gonna bring in more Mexican luchadores as well.
    My concern would be that what if Hogan decided to come back and work with Bischoff a few years down the road after he had bought it. It would probably end up like TNA is now. While Bischoff deserves the blame in TNA's downward spiral, well further downward spiral, it's Hogan who deserves the bulk of the blame

Lance storm was a very good wrestler.Lance storm as the focus of a company is a horrible idea though. Especially WCW, which had been carried for years by guys who couldn't work a good match.
    You can't go from being carried by charisma to being carried by in ring talent, that takes years of education.
    Even today, Daniel Bryan didn't get over because he had good matches. And this is in a company where they gave Chris benoit the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    My concern would be that what if Hogan decided to come back and work with Bischoff a few years down the road after he had bought it. It would probably end up like TNA is now. While Bischoff deserves the blame in TNA's downward spiral, well further downward spiral, it's Hogan who deserves the bulk of the blame
    I don't know what he would have done with Hogan , Nash and others. But he claimed the contracts were gonna mirror the WWE ones and be downside guarantees . So I expect those 2 would have left for money in WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Lance storm was a very good wrestler.Lance storm as the focus of a company is a horrible idea though. Especially WCW, which had been carried for years by guys who couldn't work a good match.
    You can't go from being carried by charisma to being carried by in ring talent, that takes years of education.
    Even today, Daniel Bryan didn't get over because he had good matches. And this is in a company where they gave Chris benoit the belt.
    With Lance in WCW though he did have a run in the midcard and had his heel group. He had taken all the belts and renamed them and was seemingly the best thing about Nitro by the end. I mean it was Storm who made Hacksaw Jim Duggen entertaining by making him turn his back on the USA and go Canadian. I think Lance with his heel character and all there...could have done it. This was gonna be a new WCW. The company was gonna focus on the younger guys and Bischoff was gonna fix his Cruiserweight division.

With Lance in WCW though he did have a run in the midcard and had his heel group. He had taken all the belts and renamed them and was seemingly the best thing about Nitro by the end. I mean it was Storm who made Hacksaw Jim Duggen entertaining by making him turn his back on the USA and go Canadian. I think Lance with his heel character and all there...could have done it. This was gonna be a new WCW. The company was gonna focus on the younger guys and Bischoff was gonna fix his Cruiserweight division.
    Yes, i watched it, Lance had a good run while WCW was getting absolutetly destroyed by WWE.

steiner was still part of the NWO and rolling with buff in feb 99, the freaks hadn't become his valets yet.

i agree with this, and i liked lance quite a bit.

Yes, i watched it, Lance had a good run while WCW was getting absolutetly destroyed by WWE.
    Which was more a problem with the rest of the company who took a major hit when they let 4 talented stars leave that Jan and Sullivan started dumb booking the company for 2 months. The fans turned it to watch those same 4 guys and said , screw this company. WCW never could recover as we saw.