Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Valeria Kementari View Post
    Darth, the scan said Pince William of England was marrying Katherine. That's what Claremont predicted in 1989. There is no irony there. It's not about the title of too many superheros...
    Katherine Middleton is real. And not a Jewish. Fine, it's inaccurate.

Seriously, though, I'd just suffered through several pages of AvX-related whining about the Avengers taking too much place. A post about Claremont never going along with this s*** - good for his Lordship, no joke here - came to mind. The title just screamed out timely hilarity to me. Should've said that right off the bat, admittedly.
    "As if a man in a wheelchair wasn't enough, now I'm targeting old women." - Scott Summers, A+X #11

Retired

CC deserves all the praise he receives, but he's not the only writer to successfully incorporate a team of mutants into the wider Marvel Universe without the ham-fisted approach of both Gischler's X-Men and the post AvX status quo. X-Factor has seen constant appearances from Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, Thor and the like. New Mutants maintains ties with Asgard through Dani's connection to Hela. Wolverine and the X-Men keeps channels open with S.W.O.R.D. Although it was clearly building towards AvX, even the current run on Uncanny X-Men had several moments of organic integration with the Avengers and Captain America.
    PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .AČ: Mutant League Champions 2013

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    CC deserves all the praise he receives, but he's not the only writer to successfully incorporate a team of mutants into the wider Marvel Universe without the ham-fisted approach of both Gischler's X-Men and the post AvX status quo. X-Factor has seen constant appearances from Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, Thor and the like. New Mutants maintains ties with Asgard through Dani's connection to Hela. Wolverine and the X-Men keeps channels open with S.W.O.R.D. Although it was clearly building towards AvX, even the current run on Uncanny X-Men had several moments of organic integration with the Avengers and Captain America.
    Every book in the now is working towards the editorial mandate of integration. Sure, some might do it better than other, but it's still editorially mandated. Claremont did it first, and did it without someone telling him to do so.

Every book in the now is working towards the editorial mandate of integration. Sure, some might do it better than other, but it's still editorially mandated. Claremont did it first, and did it without someone telling him to do so.
    Actually the concept is much older than Claremont, dating back to the 60s when DC and Marvel created the JLA and Avengers. Wasn't it sort of a "big deal" to have your characters intermix in a book instead of being off in their own little worlds?

CC just really stole the idea from superhero team books.

As far as bad ideas go, didn't CC leave Cecelia Reyes trapped in a tower with the Neo for like...14 issues? And people saying Wolvie and company leaving Karma by herself is bad...

Retired

I'd agree that that's probably the case with Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, but PAD (whose notoriously outspoken for his feelings on crossovers) has been doing it since 2006, and it's difficult to imagine an ulterior motive behind linking New Mutants with Journey into Mystery when both titles will soon be coming to an end. In fact having heard Kieron Gillen discuss Exiled, it sounds like it was very much an organic development. Even excluding that, Hela's been calling in favours from Dani as early as New Mutants #11.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether it's editorially mandated or not, as long as it's handled in such a way that the story feels natural. A+X probably won't give us that, while Uncanny Avengers might. Having Avengers pop up in All New X-Men will probably just read like Bendis taking the opportunity to have another shot at writing some of his favourite characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    As far as bad ideas go, didn't CC leave Cecelia Reyes trapped in a tower with the Neo for like...14 issues? And people saying Wolvie and company leaving Karma by herself is bad...
    He always spelled Cecilia incorrectly. Even in X-Men: The End. But it doesn't matter, because she was the only one of nineties recruits in which he saw some worth. Maybe he gave her a drug addiction and abandoned her for a few issues to fight the Neo, but he refined her into a Claremazon.
    PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .AČ: Mutant League Champions 2013

I love Chris Claremont and have nothing but respect for his work. His legend in the world of Marvel comics is without question. However, I don't think he was right about a lot of things. And sad to say, the poor reception that X-men Forever received and the early cancellation of the book shows that the editors were right to fire him back in 1991. Claremont is brilliant, but unbelievably stubborn. I understand why he was upset when Jean Grey was brought back in X-Factor. But he has no one to blame but himself for what happened with Cyclops. He wanted so badly to have that happy ending for Cyclops that he was willing to create a character out of thin air that looked and acted exactly like Jean Grey to do it. He just wouldn't let that go and seemed to harp on it at every turn in his subsequent work. There's being bitter and then there's just being petty. I think X-men Forever showed that Claremont's vision for the X-men would not have worked. But his legacy is still solid and if he never writes another comic book again, he will still go down in history as one of the greatest.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    I'd agree that that's probably the case with Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, but PAD (whose notoriously outspoken for his feelings on crossovers) has been doing it since 2006, and it's difficult to imagine an ulterior motive behind linking New Mutants with Journey into Mystery when both titles will soon be coming to an end. In fact having heard Kieron Gillen discuss Exiled, it sounds like it was very much an organic development. Even excluding that, Hela's been calling in favours from Dani as early as New Mutants #11.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether it's editorially mandated or not, as long as it's handled in such a way that the story feels natural. A+X probably won't give us that, while Uncanny Avengers might. Having Avengers pop up in All New X-Men will probably just read like Bendis taking the opportunity to have another shot at writing some of his favourite characters.
    Claremont's being doing it since the 80s :p

He always spelled Cecilia incorrectly. Even in X-Men: The End. But it doesn't matter, because she was the only one of nineties recruits in which he saw some worth. Maybe he gave her a drug addiction and abandoned her for a few issues to fight the Neo, but he refined her into a Claremazon.
    I hated the Cecilia error. I HATE IT!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Regino View Post
    Claremont is too much of a loose cannon for them to bring him back. He doesn't fit in Marvel's business model/universe these days. Imagine editorial going to CC and asking him to do something like AvX. His answer would be a resou1nding, "GTFOruSERIUSBro."Now, if he were to go to DC and revive a series there . . .
    He hasn't fit in Marvel since his return. The majority of fans haven't found his current writing entertaining.

I've never cared much for Claremont's stories, but I do agree with thought that the X-Men franchise is being force into a subservient position within the Marvel comic pecking order for the Avengers where as before it stood equal, unique and separate except the last few years since House of M, writers and editors have had a hard time keeping it unique and equal, while the Avengers have been allowed to thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Meehl View Post
    It's completely reasonable to point out that his last few attempts at writing the X-books fell far short of what he achieved the first time and bordered on awful most of the time, while also loving what he achieved the first time.
    I... didn't say that it wasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by The Scarlet Witch View Post
    BEHOLD! CC's prophetic powers predicting real world events in a 1989 Excalibur issue!

CC knows all.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post
    I wonder if some of you really miss Claremont, or are just saying that out of misplaced nostalgia.

His last uninhibited X-Men work was X-Men Forever. That was literally him doing whatever he wanted with the X-Men.

That book was Chuck Austen level bad. FIRECAT? Seriously? LoL.
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCyclopsRLZ View Post
    How many times was Wakanda referred to in Claremont's original run?

He didn't approve of Storm's wedding and took vindictive action, lol. No big deal.

Even Claremont defenders acknowledged this. Heck, they embraced it.
    Well Chris was the first one to do a story about Black Panther and Storm back in the day. I don't remember if they were lovers back in the day but they had a relationsip. I'm pretty sure John Byrne drew this too.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I love Chris Claremont and have nothing but respect for his work. His legend in the world of Marvel comics is without question. However, I don't think he was right about a lot of things. And sad to say, the poor reception that X-men Forever received and the early cancellation of the book shows that the editors were right to fire him back in 1991. Claremont is brilliant, but unbelievably stubborn. I understand why he was upset when Jean Grey was brought back in X-Factor. But he has no one to blame but himself for what happened with Cyclops. He wanted so badly to have that happy ending for Cyclops that he was willing to create a character out of thin air that looked and acted exactly like Jean Grey to do it. He just wouldn't let that go and seemed to harp on it at every turn in his subsequent work. There's being bitter and then there's just being petty. I think X-men Forever showed that Claremont's vision for the X-men would not have worked. But his legacy is still solid and if he never writes another comic book again, he will still go down in history as one of the greatest.
    They were right to fire him back in the day? Yea sure X-Men was the best book in comics and it was reaching heights it will never reach again. It's like firing Michael Jordan because twenty years later he will suck. From the New group of Uncanny X-Men taking over to 1991, Uncanny X-Men is the best comic run that has ever existed.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Creator of Strange Paths! tesh_karde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    Claremont is always right.
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    Check out my fantasy-adventure web-comic Strange Paths @ www.strangepathscomic.tumblr.com