View Poll Results: Did you like the ending?

Voters
57. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Loved it

46 80.70%
  • Hated it

4 7.02%
  • I'm indiferent to it

7 12.28%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by flamemasterelan View Post
    Y'know that Batman Begins made that same distinction, right? That Bruce Wayne is just a mask that he puts on, and that his real face is the one that criminals dread? AKA The Batman mask?
    We're talking about Dark Knight Rises, which progresses from that.

I have one very personal problem with the movie, that being how Bruce "fixes" his leg, because I have a lot of on again-off again joint pain myself and I know how debilitating it can be when your knees give you even the slightest trouble. Damage to the cartilage causes severe pain, and with what the doctor told Bruce about his condition he would have been in a wheelchair in real life, not just walking with a cane. Wrapping a cord around his leg would hardly be a magical cure. I really thought we were going to see Bruce go to Fox and ask him to make a modification to the batsuit that supported the bad leg. In fact I was certain of it. Oh well.

But that's off topic. What did I think of the ending? I voted that I loved it. How did Batman escape the bomb? I'm imagining an escape pod that rockets high above the blast. The tumbler had such an escape pod that became a separate fully functional vehicle, so why not the Bat? Radioactive fallout would have had a major impact on Gotham in real life, but ok, I'm willing to just say "it's a movie."

I loved the montage of how the four men at Bruce's funeral all became aware in different ways that he was still alive. Alfred especially. They'd had a bitter falling out. Bruce showing up at the cafe Alfred had mentioned at the time of his annual vacation was his way of saying "I forgive you." As the credits rolled, I would imagine Bruce waving Alfred over and offering to buy him a drink.

And Bruce and Selina together at the end- I've written this elsewhere and I just can't help it, but as I was watching it, when the "generic woman" of Alfred's vision turned her head and we saw that it was Selina, the ending of the story "Heart of Hush" instantly popped into my head. Selina is in a hospital recovering from severe injuries suffered because of her relationship with Batman, and Bruce comes to see her. He thinks she is asleep (she really isn't), and makes an impassioned speech to her that he'd be reticent to give with her awake. He doesn't know how to ever apologize for all that has happened to her because of knowing him, but in the end he tells her, "There has been only one woman who has really held my heart." And even though Bruce and Selina had nowhere near the long relationship in the movie that they've had in the comics, that's what the very ending left me thinking about- that there's only ever been one woman for Bruce Wayne. It's Selina. That little head turn of her's was like a second wonderful surprise in the midst of what was already a surprise, Bruce being alive. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Grinned from ear to ear.
    Last edited by Kensei; 08-04-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    I have one very personal problem with the movie, that being how Bruce "fixes" his leg, because I have a lot of on again-off again joint pain myself and I know how debilitating it can be when your knees give you even the slightest trouble. Damage to the cartilage causes severe pain, and with what the doctor told Bruce about his condition he would have been in a wheelchair in real life, not just walking with a cane. Wrapping a cord around his leg would hardly be a magical cure. I really thought we were going to see Bruce go to Fox and ask him to make a modification to the batsuit that supported the bad leg. In fact I was certain of it. Oh well.
    well you have to consider that this movie takes place 8 years in the future, so that protesis is still being build =)

also i think the strap around his leg was somehow sophisticated and it was made by Fox
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

I apologize that I may come off as a bit of an apologist in regards to the Nolan franchise but I loved it. I think the issue with the explosion Bruce's escape, his return to Gotham and his functioning leg are not simply a matter of suspension of disbelief or continuity errors but rather the fact that it is up to the viewer to best tell these stories. We are all familiar with the Batgod concept and throughout the movie I was relived to see this not be a realistic portrayal of a man being crippled and tortured for two hours. In my own mind his leg is still in crippling pain (clearly the lack of cartilage was an overstatement from the doctor) but Batman must over come his pain and as a foil to Bane does so without anesthetic. I think that not having the robot attachment for his leg was the very reason to have introduced it in the first place. His return to Gotham would be simpler if you view the movies as a whole Bruce has some pull in the international underground as seen in his exploits as a young man in Begins and his flight home in Dark Knight. The explosion requires the biggest suspension of disbelief but my theory involves him being sent back in time only to become a caveman pirate ect. before returning to present time

In terms of the ending it was actually what made me like the movie which is my least favourite of the Nolan films (with some of the greatest highs and lowest lows). I thought that Bruce's charitable will was marvelous and his funeral scene was great. The men learning the truth was great and Bruce not letting Alfred know was actually fulfilling his actual wish and there is no way that Bruce should call him over. A father needs to let go and it is what Alfred most wanted for his son. John Blake was a very intriguing character and although I wanted his name to be Dick or Tim ect. maybe more than the next person it still ended up working well for me as he never is seen suiting up or becoming an identity we are left just knowing that he is Batman's partner... Robin! Which I find a more fitting tribute then playing lip service to any one of the characters.

I hate that Talia died, I find her more interesting and more attractive (when portrayed by Marion Cotillard) than Catwoman.

But that's off topic. What did I think of the ending? I voted that I loved it. How did Batman escape the bomb? I'm imagining an escape pod that rockets high above the blast. The tumbler had such an escape pod that became a separate fully functional vehicle, so why not the Bat? Radioactive fallout would have had a major impact on Gotham in real life, but ok, I'm willing to just say "it's a movie."

I loved the montage of how the four men at Bruce's funeral all became aware in different ways that he was still alive. Alfred especially. They'd had a bitter falling out. Bruce showing up at the cafe Alfred had mentioned at the time of his annual vacation was his way of saying "I forgive you." As the credits rolled, I would imagine Bruce waving Alfred over and offering to buy him a drink.

And Bruce and Selina together at the end- I've written this elsewhere and I just can't help it, but as I was watching it, when the "generic woman" of Alfred's vision turned her head and we saw that it was Selina, the ending of the story "Heart of Hush" instantly popped into my head. Selina is in a hospital recovering from severe injuries suffered because of her relationship with Batman, and Bruce comes to see her. He thinks she is asleep (she really isn't), and makes an impassioned speech to her that he'd be reticent to give with her awake. He doesn't know how to ever apologize for all that has happened to her because of knowing him, but in the end he tells her, "There has been only one woman who has really held my heart." And even though Bruce and Selina had nowhere near the long relationship in the movie that they've had in the comics, that's what the very ending left me thinking about- that there's only ever been one woman for Bruce Wayne. It's Selina. That little head turn of her's was like a second wonderful surprise in the midst of what was already a surprise, Bruce being alive. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Grinned from ear to ear.
    You're my kind of guy. Bruce getting Selina is a hook that started since she was created, 72 years ago. And that has always been part of the appeal of the Batman mythos.

About other *off topic* issues mentioned here:

*Selina's cat-ears are irrelevant. I don't even remember her being called "Catwoman" in the movie. Doesn't matter, in her first appearance she wasn't called Catwoman or had cat ears. In the movie, the character is there. Elegant, teasing, extremely femenine, mysterious, manipulating, street-smart, an most of her other main characteristics are there. She is Selina.

*I think some people are badly confused about the mask. Batman is not batman just when he's wearing the mask, but all the time, just like in the movie. The "Bruce Wayne" mask, is the "fun-loving spoiled socialite"... and we rarely see that in the movie.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Anybody else notice the parallels between this and Sherlock Holmes' The Final Problem? I didn't mentioned it because I am sure someone mentioned it before, specially because we had two adaptations of that story this year alone, but I saw it again and kept seeing small parallels, even to the BBC Sherlock adaptation (The Reichenbach Fall) in the speech that Alfred gives by his grave.

(Or Maybe I'm just obsessed with my favorite fictional character)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post
    *Selina's cat-ears are irrelevant. I don't even remember her being called "Catwoman" in the movie. Doesn't matter, in her first appearance she wasn't called Catwoman or had cat ears. In the movie, the character is there. Elegant, teasing, extremely femenine, mysterious, manipulating, street-smart, an most of her other main characteristics are there. She is Selina.
    I loved the little easter egg of having the papers calling her by her golden age codename, ''The Cat''. I prefer that codename over Catwoman.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Anybody else notice the parallels between this and Sherlock Holmes' The Final Problem? I didn't mentioned it because I am sure someone mentioned it before, specially because we had two adaptations of that story this year alone, but I saw it again and kept seeing small parallels, even to the BBC Sherlock adaptation (The Reichenbach Fall) in the speech that Alfred gives by his grave.

(Or Maybe I'm just obsessed with my favorite fictional character)

I loved the little easter egg of having the papers calling her by her golden age codename, ''The Cat''. I prefer that codename over Catwoman.
    Yes, Selina's role seems closer to her golden age origins.

I think the Dark Knight reminded me more of the Final Problem. Rises, kinda reminded me of Rocky III, haha. I actually started hearing the theme in my mind as Bruce climbed.
    Hoewver, the Joker is not really a Moriarty. All the villains of the trilogy are agents of chaos. Batman's "Moriartys" are Rupert Thorne (in the comics), the Penguin and Hugo Strange, geniuses that organize the underworld to work efficiently under their orders. At first, I thought The Dark Knight would be followed by a movie about one of them.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

100% this.

those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar

You're my kind of guy. Bruce getting Selina is a hook that started since she was created, 72 years ago. And that has always been part of the appeal of the Batman mythos.

About other *off topic* issues mentioned here:

*I think some people are badly confused about the mask. Batman is not batman just when he's wearing the mask, but all the time, just like in the movie. The "Bruce Wayne" mask, is the "fun-loving spoiled socialite"... and we rarely see that in the movie.
    I didn't mind the lack of cat motif at all, especially that silly cowl that's she sports in the comics. I was rather annoyed when people were writing Catwoman off two years ago on the reasoning that she can't fit into Nolan's world. I mean, she's the Queen of Burglars and he's the King of Heists. It's probably about as synergistic as they come. Glad that Jonah Nolan fought for her inclusion into the trilogy.

BANNED

Yeah it did, especially the speech from Alfred.
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 08-04-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah it did, especially the speech from Alfred.
    Missed it. I'm waiting til wedensday to see it again. Can you remind me?

I think it might be the one that reminded me or Rocky III

Missed it. I'm waiting til wedensday to see it again. Can you remind me?

I think it might be the one that reminded me or Rocky III
    At the end of Sherlock Series 2, Watson gives a heartbreaking speech by Holmes' Grave during a small funeral scene, This is after we see the whole supportive cast react to his death and only seconds before we are shown that (Spoilers to a 100 year old story) he faked his death. A somewhat similar (but less emotional) thing happened in the Second Guy Ritche Movie.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

BANNED

A somewhat similar (but less emotional) thing happened in the Second Guy Ritche Movie.
    I laughed at that version. Where Sherlock's reveal was somewhat shocking and lead to fans solving the mystery of what he did, the movie version is "LOL JK guys."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I laughed at that version. Where Sherlock's reveal was somewhat shocking and lead to fans solving the mystery of what he did, the movie version is "LOL JK guys."
    My only thought during the fall scene was ''This is the most beautiful Moriarty and Holmes fight scene I've ever seen''.
    My thoughts during that epilogue: ''....Aaaand they had to ruin it.''

They made the most emotional scene of the canon feel like a childish, attention seeking prank. Also, I'm pretty sure it's hitting the water and rocks after a ten storey fall that kills you when you go down a waterfall, not drowning.

Just, the hell with that movie.

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

BANNED

For me it was more than that in the movie to be disappointing, but yeah pretty much.