Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default So tired of the 'Where do I start?' excuse to reboot everything.

First of all, I have zero confidence that Marvel is going to tie up loose ends with the Marvel NOW "reboot that is not a reboot". There are so many questions. SO MANY LOOSE ENDS. I feel like it's just a giant free-for-all under the guise of yes, you guessed it. 'Our new readers don't know where to start coming in off the street'.

Since when is that a bad thing? Since when is walking into a library/bookstore and seeing a long line of Robert Jordan books a negative thing? Does someone think "Welp, can't buy the latest book and know what's going on so not going to read em".

No. They realize they have months or years of good reading ahead of them and it's a GOOD thing. It's what makes it a HOBBY.

The fact is that back-issues don't make Marvel money. But you know what? It DOES support the local shops. Stop using the excuse of 'oh our new readers need a starting point'. No, they don't. They JUST restarted the Uncanny X-Men run and now they are doing away with that. It just all seems so wishy-washy.

Marvel has just messed with my childhood, I hope it's not all for naught. Marvel was NOT the cluster that was DC before the reboot.

So back to the title, yeah, stop using that excuse Marvel. People say that, but IMO very few are turned off by it. Those that are aren't going to stick around anyway because they don't care to READ in the first place. They are just stopping in off the high of the latest blockbuster movie.
    I've got a gut feeling in my stomach...

BANNED

Marvel Now is not a reboot. No continuity is being changed. What's the problem?
    Mind you, I agree with you on the rest of it. Every word.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Marvel Now is not a reboot. No continuity is being changed. What's the problem?
    Mind you, I agree with you on the rest of it. Every word.
    I know it's not being called that, but with the reshaping of all the titles and, get this, 'identities' of the characters. It is as close as you can get without actually scratching everything.

Marvel has just messed with my childhood...
    HOW???? Is Marvel NOW! such a space-shaking event that it's sent gravity waves back in time????

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    I know it's not being called that, but with the reshaping of all the titles and, get this, 'identities' of the characters. It is as close as you can get without actually scratching everything.
    Man, what are you talking about? You should get on message; the going complaint is that the promotion is all smoke and mirrors and that nothing will really change.

Also, not everyone wants a HOBBY, as you put it. Maybe there are some people who just want to pick up a comic every now and then. The industry needs those people, because it looks like there are only 200,000 or so HOBBYISTS left, and I can't imagine that number increasing much.
    Last edited by Dog; 08-03-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

It's a creative change up.

It is not a reboot.

It's line wide, which is a bit different, and yes, some people are getting new costumes, but they will still be the same character with the same history. They will just have the usual new voice given to any character when a new writer takes over that character.
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    HOW???? Is Marvel NOW! such a space-shaking event that it's sent gravity waves back in time????
    X-Books were a big part of that childhood. Are they not scrapping most of Claremonts writing by bringing the original X-Men back from the past in some sort of attempt at reshaping the current X-Men? Wolverine is an Avenger? My childhood was the early 90's era X-Men. It's all just my opinion however and I don't expect it to be the same for everyone. It's a personal feeling pertaining to my own view of the Marvel Universe growing up.

My main point was the excuse I see everywhere since these movies started coming out and bringing new customers into shops. It's a RICH history. BUY the back issues and go on a reading spree. That is a good thing!

First of all, I have zero confidence that Marvel is going to tie up loose ends with the Marvel NOW "reboot that is not a reboot". There are so many questions. SO MANY LOOSE ENDS. I feel like it's just a giant free-for-all under the guise of yes, you guessed it. 'Our new readers don't know where to start coming in off the street'.

Since when is that a bad thing? Since when is walking into a library/bookstore and seeing a long line of Robert Jordan books a negative thing? Does someone think "Welp, can't buy the latest book and know what's going on so not going to read em".

No. They realize they have months or years of good reading ahead of them and it's a GOOD thing. It's what makes it a HOBBY.

The fact is that back-issues don't make Marvel money. But you know what? It DOES support the local shops. Stop using the excuse of 'oh our new readers need a starting point'. No, they don't. They JUST restarted the Uncanny X-Men run and now they are doing away with that. It just all seems so wishy-washy.

Marvel has just messed with my childhood, I hope it's not all for naught. Marvel was NOT the cluster that was DC before the reboot.

So back to the title, yeah, stop using that excuse Marvel. People say that, but IMO very few are turned off by it. Those that are aren't going to stick around anyway because they don't care to READ in the first place. They are just stopping in off the high of the latest blockbuster movie.
    I agree 100%. Yes, Marvel is not scrapping everything and doing a "hard and true" reboot of the characters, their back stories, identities, trials, etc. However, it's as close as you can go without being a complete retelling of the characters. Many loose ends to tie up, continuity to retcon, contradictions to deal with, etc. I am a harcore Marvel fan, but it seems to me that they are doing this just as an answer to DCs New 52. And, as an interesting side note, Marvel is now back on top with AvX even though DC had the top dog title for a couple of months after New 52's launch.

But, all that aside, that is a flimsy excuse for a reboot. "New readers won't know where to start?" Please. That's a pathetic excuse. Reading years worth of back issues to catch up on stories, cross-overs, major character developments and the like are a major part of what makes comic books a fun HOBBY. But, like you said, back issues don't make Marvel money, so 2012 Reboot, here we come.....

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    It's a creative change up.

It is not a reboot.

It's line wide, which is a bit different, and yes, some people are getting new costumes, but they will still be the same character with the same history. They will just have the usual new voice given to any character when a new writer takes over that character.

According to this line: "But Marvel NOW!, the publisher's latest initiative, is arguably its biggest sea change ever, with a relaunch or launch of more than 20 books, new costumes, new identities..." from this article: http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/...nch/56027428/1 they will be heavily modifying current characters and their histories.

According to this line: "But Marvel NOW!, the publisher's latest initiative, is arguably its biggest sea change ever, with a relaunch or launch of more than 20 books, new costumes, new identities..." from this article: http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/...nch/56027428/1 they will be heavily modifying current characters and their histories.
    I take that to mean something happens that necessitates someone else wear the Iron Man armor or suit up as Spider-Man temporarily. Or it could mean nothing, like so much other promotional material. You're working yourself into a tizzy over conjecture.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!

Thus the reason for the concern. I'm all for Marvel trying to get wider appeal for their products. However, re-telling or reshaping the very things that made them so popular (and that drew people in at an early age, myself included) is ridiculous. Now granted, I may be wrong (and I truly hope that I am) but based on their official line, it does seem that they will be modifying the back stories and identities of who these characters are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Lord View Post
    I agree 100%. Yes, Marvel is not scrapping everything and doing a "hard and true" reboot of the characters, their back stories, identities, trials, etc. However, it's as close as you can go without being a complete retelling of the characters. Many loose ends to tie up, continuity to retcon, contradictions to deal with, etc. I am a harcore Marvel fan, but it seems to me that they are doing this just as an answer to DCs New 52. And, as an interesting side note, Marvel is now back on top with AvX even though DC had the top dog title for a couple of months after New 52's launch.

But, all that aside, that is a flimsy excuse for a reboot. "New readers won't know where to start?" Please. That's a pathetic excuse. Reading years worth of back issues to catch up on stories, cross-overs, major character developments and the like are a major part of what makes comic books a fun HOBBY. But, like you said, back issues don't make Marvel money, so 2012 Reboot, here we come.....
    Exactly, thank you! On a side-note, I hate to see stacks and stacks of back issues laying around deteriorating in shops and thrift stores. Those are the stories we grew up with, they are a part of a good bit of us older readers. Now they will continue to collect dust. I have a buddy that recently got back into comics after the late 90's bust and he's gone and bought up nearly every single X-Book he could get his hands on. Long boxes full of many months worth of reading and he's been having a blast with that. Now? What's it all for?

I hope those of you that are saying the continuity won't be messed with are right, but I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Lord View Post
    Thus the reason for the concern. I'm all for Marvel trying to get wider appeal for their products. However, re-telling or reshaping the very things that made them so popular (and that drew people in at an early age, myself included) is ridiculous. Now granted, I may be wrong (and I truly hope that I am) but based on their official line, it does seem that they will be modifying the back stories and identities of who these characters are.
    Negating all the Season 1 books they just put out?

You guys do realize these loose ends can be sorted out even after the relaunch right? I mean if that's your big argument you don't really have a leg to stand on, since continuity is being kept intact or at least as intact as it will be so long as Bendis stays at Marvel.

Well it worked for DC, and actually helped them gain parity with Marvel in terms of sales. Competition is stronger than it's really been in some time especially when you consider that DC is mostly holding on with ongoings. They haven't even had a major crossover event, unless we're counting Night of the Owls.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    You guys do realize these loose ends can be sorted out even after the relaunch right? I mean if that's your big argument you don't really have a leg to stand on, since continuity is being kept intact or at least as intact as it will be so long as Bendis stays at Marvel.

Well it worked for DC, and actually helped them gain parity with Marvel in terms of sales. Competition is stronger than it's really been in some time especially when you consider that DC is mostly holding on with ongoings. They haven't even had a major crossover event, unless we're counting Night of the Owls.
    DC was a pretty terrible cluster before the 52. It was good for them. I don't feel like Marvel suffered(suffers?) from the same plight. Their stuff is pretty solid and AvX is on-top. I think it's needless. And back to my point, the new reader excuse is silly.

It's just a counter to the New 52. DC made lots of money with their slew of new number 1s. Marvel is countering and hoping for the same sort of money and buzz, especially following the big summer movie success.

We already know that their are some new/legacy characters popping up in characters like Ms America and the ersatz Nova, so that's likely the whole 'new identities' line covered.
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods