Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesBecomeVultures View Post
    I'm new here, and I'm sure this thread has been done before, but...

I just think it's funny how they have to make the "black" kid wear the "black" costume....

Doesn't giving Miles Morales a black costume sort of negate the whole equality thing?

Isn't the idea that a black kid also gets to wear the iconic costume?
    Or if the idea was to distinguish him from Peter, then why not at least give him a different design, while not stripping him of the American Blue and Red?

Or is it celebrating the racial differences? Being proud, etc. (However, if that's so, shouldn't Caucasian Spideys have white/red costumes instead?)

What do you guys think? (or redirect me to the right thread if there already is one)

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.

A black kid wearing a black costume is NOT racist... At all! Thinking it's racist because JUST the costume is black is probably more racist than the costume will ever be itself!
    It was a re-design. Frankly it looks cooler than the blue and white costume! Pete even jokes about this fact in Spider-Men.

Sorry again but, ridiculous.
    "Predictable? If there were any more plot twists going on, we'd need M. Night Shyamalan to randomly appear at the end saying 'What a twist' before vanishing". - Kurolegacy on Ult X-Men #8.

BANNED

Just happens to be a black man?

He's the first black mainstream marvel superhero, and his name is Black Panther. Come on. That is in bad taste.
    No it isn't. And you fail to explain why. Would you feel the same way if the Black Cat became the White Tiger or if MJ grew up and became the White Tiger? I'd really like to know.

That's like if the only white character in a Japanese comic is called White Angel. Some would argue that it's fine since angels are white. But come on.
    And yet you can't comprehend that panthers are black.
    Last edited by Plawsky; 08-04-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Rude, offensive

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    No it isn't. And you fail to explain why. Would you feel the same way if the Black Cat became the White Tiger or if MJ grew up and became the White Tiger? I'd really like to know.
    Of course not. I don't see how these are comparable to what I said.

And yet you can't comprehend that panthers are black.
    I know panthers are black, just as angels wear white clothing, have white wings, etc. I think you missed the point.

BANNED

Of course not. I don't see how these are comparable to what I said.

I know panthers are black, just as angels wear white clothing, have white wings, etc. I think you missed the point.
    So what exactly is it, I've missed. Perhaps you can explain a little better.

COMPARISONS:
    Black Panther > Black Man
    White Tiger > White Woman

One is racist and one isn't?? How does that work? Why can't a black man wear black?

"Miles's Black Costume = Racist?" = Racist

A) the costume was sent to him by Nick Fury.. not a racist
    B) a black costume makes a lot more sense for a super hero who uses stealth, or any super hero in general.
    C) Kitty Pryde wears a white costume. I'm wondering why you haven't asked if that's racist

I think we're gonna have to get used to everything that happens in UCSM being scrutinized. It's sad but a lot of people are just not ready to handle a black character.

The symbiote suit is probably the second most popular if not THE most popular Spidey suits.

Bottom line: it looks cool, I doubt there was much more thought behind it than that. Plus it could be seen as black for mourning, a mark of respect to peter, it was given to him by shield after all.

Why not let Miles be allowed to wear the original? Does the storyline of respecting Peter have to exist? Dick Grayson wore the batsuit afterall.
    The people of Gotham are not the People of Ultimate NYC. Batman is not an unterdog type kid super hero who the city adores and felt sympathy for when he was thought to be dead. Batman is viewed by Gotham as scary and mysterious.. and he's a grown man who they all expect to hold his own and protect them.
    Peter was just a kid. They loved him and felt guilty because some young kid had given everything to protect them.

Furthermore, Batman and Spider-Man are products of two completely different publishers. I was only entertaining the argument because if Batman was a Marvel character he'd probably be treated the same way he was with DC at the time.

Also to add onto Trallis' excellent point, Gotham and Ultimate NYC are two VERY different locales. Batman is more about the legend, and wasn't revealed to be Bruce before dying, so when Dick slipped in , it was to keep people fooled, though certain villains were able to put the two together after meeting him (ffs they watched dick grow up, so of course they all would know!! lol). But PETER died in front of a crowd, so Miles wearing the original togs would have a weird effect, as what was showcased exactly in his fight against Kangaroo.
    Last edited by Ronin1108; 08-04-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    http://reverbnation.com/roninakacmil

"put haters to the left i aint lettin 'em win,
    Cuz i got mind soul and power like infinity gems"

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dqpk7c.jpg

Yes, but the writers only decided to write it this way to justify their redesign in the first place. Batman's writers didn't want to redesign Dick Grayson's suit, thus they didn't put that in his story.

I don't know, I guess I'll ask some of my black friends, and see what they think.
    Umm, it never came up, because as far as the public at large was concerned, Batman was still alive, I thought? Or am I wrong about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin1108 View Post
    There's no racism here, if anything thanks to Bendis, Black people in comics have been on the "grow" (props for whoever gets the reference). But examples are specifically Luke Cage, or Doc Voodoo (though his ascension was short lived), so absolutely no way in hell do I believe Bendis would ever think of something like this. You're just racist, and should go to church a lil more.
    Church may not encourage racism, but racism is just one form of intolerance. Most of the world's major religions encourage some form of intolerance towards some type of harmless group. Honestly the only one I can think of that doesn't is buddhism and I don't think that's considered a church.

With my childhood religion, Christianity, obviously the intolerance I'm talking about is that toward homosexuals, but there is also a great deal of discrimination against women. Their current crusade is to illegalize gay marriage and force women not to terminate unwanted pregnancies. If they had their way it would be much more extreme than that.

So what exactly is it, I've missed. Perhaps you can explain a little better.

COMPARISONS:
    Black Panther > Black Man
    White Tiger > White Woman

One is racist and one isn't?? How does that work? Why can't a black man wear black?
    If there was a Japanese comic where every hero was Japanese, and then the one white hero who is introduced for diversity sake is named White Tiger, then that's the same thing as Black Panther; it doesn't end up showing equality; rather it highlights the fact that they're different/not equal.

A black person can wear black, and be named "black ____", it's just in the context of being marvel's first black superhero that a black hero named Black Panther who wears all black seems a little on the nose.
    Last edited by EaglesBecomeVultures; 08-04-2012 at 09:48 AM.

BANNED

If there was a Japanese comic where every hero was Japanese, and then the one white hero who is introduced for diversity sake is named White Tiger, then that's the same thing as Black Panther; it doesn't end up showing equality; rather it highlights the fact that they're different/not equal.
    I honestly don't think it would matter. Or rather, It shouldn't matter.

A black person can wear black, and be named "black ____", it's just in the context of being marvel's first black superhero that a black hero named Black Panther who wears all black seems a little on the nose.
    I always hear terminologies like this one being used when racism is discussed. It kind of takes away the accuracy of certain stereotypes. But regardless of that, I still don't see the problem. It's only a colour. It's like saying: "Black people aren't black, they're more brown than anything." It's an irrelevant observation that's potentially offensive to generalise. That's why these things shouldn't matter. It's just a colour.

And Black Panther wasn't the first black comicbook superhero.

BANNED

I honestly don't think it would matter. Or rather, It shouldn't matter.

I always hear terminologies like this one being used when racism is discussed. It kind of takes away the accuracy of certain stereotypes. But regardless of that, I still don't see the problem. It's only a colour. It's like saying: "Black people aren't black, they're more brown than anything." It's an irrelevant observation that's potentially offensive to generalise. That's why these things shouldn't matter. It's just a colour.

And Black Panther wasn't the first black comicbook superhero.

BANNED

Triple Post
    Last edited by Robbie_Jee; 08-04-2012 at 10:52 AM.

So let me get this straight. You want the black kid to wear what the white kid wore. The black kid can't wear anything else? He can't be his own unique person? Have his own ideas, styles, likes, and dislikes? He has the dress the same as the white kid? So you want the black kid to be like the white kid and not be different, be himself.

Wanting the black kid to dress like the white kid and not try something new = racist?

See how easy it was? The deal is that Miles is a new hero, he has a new costume (which does look pretty cool and it's his. Not Peter's but his), and it's different enough that it lets Miles stand out as his own Spider-Man while still having a connecting with the old Spider-Man and showing respect.
    Bra'tac: Now we die.
    O'Neill: Well, that's a bad plan.

O'Neill: I've spent my whole life sticking it to the man.
    Jackson: Well now you will be the man.
    O'Neill: I don't think I can be the man.