Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Arboria in the Summer Tombstone in the Winter

Default Nightwing as popular as Spiderman

Is there a chance that DC could make Nightwing as popular as Spiderman? I'm sure that fans of Nightwing would like to see animated series,movies, merchandise and even video games of Nightwing just like Spiderman has.
    The truth of the world is that it is chaotic. The truth is more frightening, nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.
    Bring Back MI:13 & Marvel UK permanently

BANNED

Unfortunately, it seems like popularity of these characters was predetermined decades ago.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Is there a chance that DC could make Nightwing as popular as Spiderman? I'm sure that fans of Nightwing would like to see animated series,movies, merchandise and even video games of Nightwing just like Spiderman has.
    A fine question.... however its one for the Batman boards as Nightwing is a Bat book. So Ive moved it to the correct board

No. It is not possible.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

It's certainly possible, given enough time. Three or four decades or so of non-stop Nightwing promotion ought to do the trick. Mind you, this won't happen because it would require Nightwing becoming a far more important character than Batman or Superman in the DCU.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    It's certainly possible, given enough time. Three or four decades or so of non-stop Nightwing promotion ought to do the trick. Mind you, this won't happen because it would require Nightwing becoming a far more important character than Batman or Superman in the DCU.
    I'm not sure about that, is Spiderman more important inuniverse to the Marvel U than the main Avengers?
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

I think Daredevil is a better comparison to Nightwing than Spiderman, in terms of character usage and popularity, although Nightwing probably as a character has more in common with Spiderman than Daredevil. Maybe back during the NTT days when that was the top selling book you could have made a better comparison, but Spiderman and Wolverine are probably Marvel's two biggest IPs and are more on Batman's level than Nightwing's.

Nightwing would have to get a huge push. Basically, they'd have to push him harder than Batman and that's a big feat. But I could see him eventually get there. I mean, Spider-Man has practically become a young rich playboy with his ties to the Avengers and the Fantastic Four making money problems disappear and no marriage so he can hook up with whatever hottie they toss his way. Put him in black and a bird on his chest, he is Nightwing.

Nightwing and Spider-Man in the same topic, so I will ask : what was DC thinking with the re-coloring of the wing from blue to red? Add some covers where Nightwing take some very Spidey-like poses, and the only questions on my mind was 'When did Miles Molares become white, and when did he become so big?'!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    I'm not sure about that, is Spiderman more important inuniverse to the Marvel U than the main Avengers?
    You're probably right.

But it would require DC putting out more Nightwing books than Batman books. More Nightwing cartoons, games (as opposed to cartoons and games that Nightwing has a small roll in. He'd have to be the main character. Nightwing and Batman, not Batman and Nightwing.), a very succesful Nightwing movie franchise etcetera...
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Pretty much what Carabas said. Nightwing at best gets supporting roles in video games or guest spots. Or even at best, something like Young Justice (which is probably his most consistent exposure in a while) where he's still part of a large ensemble of other characters fighting for screentime.

For Nightwing to get anywhere near Spider-Man's level WB would have to be committed to doing Nightwing cartoons, Nightwing video games, Nightwing toylines. All that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    I'd say he is. He recently had a line wide event that spawned out of his own title, and he has been given a pretty big role in this huge AvX event.

And I agree with carabas and Fate that it is possible to at least get him close to Spiderman, but that just isn't going to happen because of the amount DC would need to push the character. Dick staring in two animated series nearly at the same time is a good start, but it would take a lot more on a lot of different fronts to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yoyo View Post
    Nightwing and Spider-Man in the same topic, so I will ask : what was DC thinking with the re-coloring of the wing from blue to red? Add some covers where Nightwing take some very Spidey-like poses, and the only questions on my mind was 'When did Miles Molares become white, and when did he become so big?'!
    You don't think the red on Nightwing's New 52 outfit isn't a link back to his days as a guy in teeny green shorts and a red vest?

Considering that Spider-Man is a major Marvel figure with multiple comic books, multiple movies, a few cartoon shows in the past, etc., and Nightwing is really an off-shoot of Batman, I don't know if it would be possible to make Dick as popular as Peter Parker. (Miles would be a different story.)

HOWEVER, I currently buy Nightwing, and it's been over fifteen years since I last bought an issue of the Amazing Spectacular Web of The Avenging Spider-Man.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Wanted to add, I think DC would have a much easier time pushing Nightwing in this type role than they have with Blue Beetle.

Out there, that a way Doctor Cosmic's Avatar

Don't know what the answer is to the question this thread asks.

However, I do know that Dick Grayson is a far more interesting and overall better character than Peter Parker.