Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

This is a small nitpick but is anyone else bothered by this Doctor Stark thing? Why would he have three doctorates? Engineers usually don't get a doctorate because they don't need it. Tony doesn't seem like the type to have one just to show off. He got his armour for that.
    Last edited by PlanetaryDevastation; 08-02-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    That was Namor's job on the Illuminati. To question and point out their crap.
    Actually, that was Black Panther who told them not to do it in the first place. Namor went along with every stupid thing they did after that except for registration.

Quote Originally Posted by yanapryde View Post
    Yes, yes, yes we know that Scott's hyper defensive and extreme behavior of late has been...well..extreme. But post Phoenix Possession? Its the OTHER hosts that are going off the rails and it should be, at the very least, SPECULATED that something wrong is happening to the hosts, since they've gotten a little trigger/kill happy.
    Uh, we were shown he was going a bit off the rails when he created a moon dust version of Jean Grey to talk to. His speech to Hope was another sign. And let's just say nothing of the fact he hasn't restored the depowered mutants.

Galaxy News Radio bladeofdarkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emissary of Justice View Post
    Uh, we were shown he was going a bit off the rails when he created a moon dust version of Jean Grey to talk to. His speech to Hope was another sign. And let's just say nothing of the fact he hasn't restored the depowered mutants.
    the Jean thing was basically a more comic oriented version of talking to himself, which is not all that insane since most people do it whether they like to admit it or not.
    the speech to Hope was a dick move, but hardly a sign of him going off the rails.
    and apparently, he CAN'T restore the depowered mutants, and the writers simply forgot to depict this fact.

meanwhile, he's the one guy who refuses to even view this conflict as a WAR, and refuses to kill the Avengers even though Emma makes it clear she can do it with a thought.

Dude, that wasn't talking to yourself. It's a moon dust version of your dead wife. That is CREEPY. There's been nothing to show that he can't restore them. Sorry.

Additionally, his typical emotional withdrawn state/emotional repression has gotten worse in that he's outright ignoring the cracks in those around him.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    This is a small nitpick but is anyone else bothered by this Doctor Stark thing? Why would he have three doctorates? Engineers usually don't get a doctorate because they don't need it. Tony doesn't seem like the type to have one just to show off. He got his armour for that.
    I think it was an attempt to garner a snide but 'funny' bit of dialog for Stark. Three doctorates go with the "genius" persona, at least, modern Tony sees for himself. And you're right about what he chooses to show off with.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Galaxy News Radio bladeofdarkness's Avatar

Dude, that wasn't talking to yourself. It's a moon dust version of your dead wife. That is CREEPY. There's been nothing to show that he can't restore them. Sorry.
    just saying what was already said by the writers.

Additionally, his typical emotional withdrawn state/emotional repression has gotten worse in that he's outright ignoring the cracks in those around him.
    so he's emotionally repressed.
    but thats not the same as going off the rails now is it.

It's a wonder the Illuminati ever accomplished anything at all.

But Bendis seems to think these guys whould do more bickering than anything.

I'd KILL for a Ellis written Illuminati book.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarmyth View Post
    I think it was an attempt to garner a snide but 'funny' bit of dialog for Stark. Three doctorates go with the "genius" persona, at least, modern Tony sees for himself. And you're right about what he chooses to show off with.
    I think that was the point where I wanted Captain America to backhand him into a wall. Just shut UP already. We get it, you're a genius...excuse me, a futurist. Can you predict how far Cap's foot will be up your exhaust port? I know Tony is smug, but that kind of constant joking fits Spider-Man more than Tony Stark.

"You're gonna NEED a doctor if you don't zip it, future boy."

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

YES. Ellis actually knows how to write smart guys. And he excels at writing morally compromised characters. It'd be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    That's the thing though. I read an interview with Gillien and he said they Phoenix 5 know exactly what they are doing. Namor is totally responsible for drowning Wakandans and destrying there city. They know what they're doing.
    Link? Because various Marvel people have said various things from possession to intoxication.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    But if this' really after Wakanda Cap is ready to forget and forgive already? I guess those weren't american citizen after all.

If that's the case, that's not the Steve Rogers I enjoy reading, and I'm going to blame it on Bendis' bad writing and bad understanding of the characters
    I'm pretty sure this is BEFORE Namor drops the wave on Wakanda.

Quote Originally Posted by yanapryde View Post
    This preview? Awesome.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the exchanges. Thoroughly.
    Really eager to read the rest.

I still feel that this whole event is slanted, and even after its become perfectly clear of the "corrupting aspect" of the Phoenix Force, the continuous "SCOTT is NUTS" stuff is wearing a little thin.
    Yes, yes, yes we know that Scott's hyper defensive and extreme behavior of late has been...well..extreme. But post Phoenix Possession? Its the OTHER hosts that are going off the rails and it should be, at the very least, SPECULATED that something wrong is happening to the hosts, since they've gotten a little trigger/kill happy.
    C'mon.

Either way, this dialogue is sensational.
    Of course this is slanted. It's an Avengers book.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    Nope, doesn't bother me. He does have at least one doctorate, even if he doesn't usually go by Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

That would be amazing! But yes, Bendis usually does the bickering bit with Illuminati.

Actually, that was Black Panther who told them not to do it in the first place. Namor went along with every stupid thing they did after that except for registration.
    Actually Namor wasn't keen on the idea either, but unlike Black Panther, he had the gumption to sit at the big boy table and deal with these things. Since BP didn't, he's not part of the Illuminati, therefore, has no job on the Illuminati. And your very much mistaken. It was Namor who repeatedly called the rest on their crap, including shooting Hulk off the planet and registration and stealing alien tech and Richards putting together an Infinity Gauntlet, etc., etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    I think that was the point where I wanted Captain America to backhand him into a wall. Just shut UP already. We get it, you're a genius...excuse me, a futurist. Can you predict how far Cap's foot will be up your exhaust port? I know Tony is smug, but that kind of constant joking fits Spider-Man more than Tony Stark.

"You're gonna NEED a doctor if you don't zip it, future boy."
    LOL hysang. Winces at the thought of Cap's boot up Tony's exhaust ports.

Actually Namor wasn't keen on the idea either, but unlike Black Panther, he had the gumption to sit at the big boy table and deal with these things. Since BP didn't, he's not part of the Illuminati, therefore, has no job on the Illuminati. And your very much mistaken. It was Namor who repeatedly called the rest on their crap, including shooting Hulk off the planet and registration and stealing alien tech and Richards putting together an Infinity Gauntlet, etc., etc. etc.
    Thanks for this, Rheged. That explains why Namor was eager to help Hulk in Defenders #1. It makes sense given his own code of morals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarmyth View Post
    Thanks for this, Rheged. That explains why Namor was eager to help Hulk in Defenders #1. It makes sense given his own code of morals etc.
    Fraction mentioned something to the effect, though I'm not sure I totally agree with that assessment. But while Namor STRONGLY disagreed with the Illuminati plan -- I think that's where he tried to drown Tony ... again, AFAIK, for no on panel reason, he didn't actually warn Hulk that they were planning to shoot him off into space. Of course, that could have ruined Planet Hulk and World War Hulk, and who cares about how that made Namor look, right?

Fraction mentioned something to the effect, though I'm not sure I totally agree with that assessment. But while Namor STRONGLY disagreed with the Illuminati plan -- I think that's where he tried to drown Tony ... again, AFAIK, for no on panel reason, he didn't actually warn Hulk that they were planning to shoot him off into space. Of course, that could have ruined Planet Hulk and World War Hulk, and who cares about how that made Namor look, right?
    Namor did warned them that the Hulk will be back someday with a vengeance.