Page 2 of 2236 FirstFirst 12345612521025021002 ... LastLast
    Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    Exactly. Which is why I'm not really pissed about the forum activity specifically.

I'm more angry about the industry itself lately. And how I feel like the only way any black writer is going to have a legit impact is by going full on Jackie Robinson as well as being head and shoulders above the rest.

Either that, or there needs to be an influx much like the British Invasion in the 80s.
    pm me the reasons you think the bp board is treated differently maan
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Some interesting interviews with Don McGregor on the Black Panther and some of things he had to deal with while writing the book. The original framework was that the interviewers were going to review Essential BP and get McGregor's perspective on the issues, but it quickly branches off in its own direction with a great deal of discussion on including minority characters, interracial romances, etc in his books.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/column...ther-part-one/
    http://www.comicsbulletin.com/column...ther-part-two/
    http://www.comicsbulletin.com/column...er-part-three/

I'm more angry about the industry itself lately. And how I feel like the only way any black writer is going to have a legit impact is by going full on Jackie Robinson as well as being head and shoulders above the rest.
    to even get your foot in the door requires a LOT...interning for free for a good year or two, most black college students just can't afford to do that
    Support your local roller derby league

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Freeing (Black) Science Fiction From The Chains Of Race
    by Andre Seewood, August 1, 2012 10:09 AM

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...chains-of-race

Lee Daniels, Hugh Jackman Teaming To Tackle MLK Assassination Conspiracy Theories In 'Orders To Kill'
    by Tambay A. Obenson
    July 31, 2012 9:57 PM

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...orders-to-kill
    the MLK projects sounds like it could be fun.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Some interesting interviews with Don McGregor on the Black Panther and some of things he had to deal with while writing the book. The original framework was that the interviewers were going to review Essential BP and get McGregor's perspective on the issues, but it quickly branches off in its own direction with a great deal of discussion on including minority characters, interracial romances, etc in his books.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/column...ther-part-one/
    http://www.comicsbulletin.com/column...ther-part-two/
    http://www.comicsbulletin.com/column...er-part-three/
    Thanks for those links, going through the first part now

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    I've been rather civil about my response to whether or not we at the BP Appreciation thread are held to a different standard than other forum members.

I want to be clear on this though, I believe we do get held to a different standard, and not an equal one. I think there are reasons, reasons I won't go over unless it's via PM because frankly, me bringing it up is against forum rules.
    I figure I'd return to that thread......eventually but you to hit onto something that I actually hadn't thought of

I stopped posting regularly in Black Panther threads a long time ago...Part if it was because the same damn argument was happening every other day and another reason was because certain posters were allowed to troll that thread constantly.

And god forbid you try posting in a Storm appreciation thread as a Black Panther fan...

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    to even get your foot in the door requires a LOT...interning for free for a good year or two, most black college students just can't afford to do that
    Best way is to do a book outside, or self publish, and make an impact.
    It is easy to say, 'i can write/draw that better' but you have to put your money where your mouth is and take the risk and prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    It is easy to say, 'i can write/draw that better' but you have to put your money where your mouth is and take the risk and prove it.
    Yeah, you aren't seeing a lot of people breaking into the Big Two from inside the house or traditional channels like acting as an assistant for an established artist these days. (Who was the last real big one? Cliff Chiang, I'd say?) Your best bet is to work on your own creator-owned property, get it the hands of Image, Oni, etc, and submit that as your portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Yeah, you aren't seeing a lot of people breaking into the Big Two from inside the house or traditional channels like acting as an assistant for an established artist these days. (Who was the last real big one? Cliff Chiang, I'd say?) Your best bet is to work on your own creator-owned property, get it the hands of Image, Oni, etc, and submit that as your portfolio.

Lets face it.

Race debates are insular phenomenon brought up often by Minorities.

Regardless if you think which side is correct--it is fair to say, most of the time the result of said discussion is another group defending the event and minorities being even more outraged.

The dynamic alone lends itself to censorship.

And without emotion, its a financial issue. In the CINEMA, MArvel and DC have to cater to minorities..because they can see the dollar differences. In Comics, Minority dollars are NOT shown to be effective...because lets face it..their hasnt been any financial protest. We still buy Batman, Daredevil, Wolverine, Secret Avengers..etc...that has no minorities in them. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

BUT LETS Say if most minorities were to get together and Boycott MARVEL and DC or chose a title..and invest. And I mean do it seriously. then those companies would notice.

Its all about the money.

Look at Chic-Fil'a )

Christian and Church groups have enabled its founder to not retreat from his statement because they have gone in droves and voted witht heir dollar. No Gay march can stand up to a 120 million dollar quarter. No matter how many kiss-ins.

Now that's real POWER. Minorities need to show solidarity and decide..do they want comics more diverse..and then actually do something collectively to send a message.
    Last edited by RolandJP; 08-02-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Or I guess be a buddy of Geoff Johns like JT Krul. And be gofer on Seinfeld.

So lets get a top 10 list of minority/Gender/LGBT friendly titles..that are well written.

And lets support those..no matter the publisher.

Cut back on your other purchases and lets put our money where our mouths are.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Yes. That's what it'll take to write for one of the Big 2 companies, but you know what? As a black writer, this week has opened my eyes to how high the mountain top is not only for minority characters (especially Black ones), but for creators who are Black as a whole. From the minute you step into the world of Marvel and DC, you will literally have every decision of yours questioned, analyzed and criticized by people who quite frankly do not have the mental capacity to carry out those functions on a satisfactory level. It creates an environment where a Black writer has to be better than Morrisons, Vaughn and Gaiman's of the world for people to notice his or her skill, and even then they would still have a vocal group of detractors who will use any little thing to beat that small, but loud drum. You can also apply this a Black Artist and he or she would have to be on the level of a Reis, Kubert, Buckingham or Quiety to have that same thing happen

With the venom that gets spouted on the Internet, I really do wonder if Marvel or DC can even begin to attract those special people. With the smaller major press companies starving for ideas and stories, they could easily make their name their, take their show to the digital market and never bother with a Market that doesn't want their voice for a market waiting to hear those voices. The Big 2 could easily lose a generation of non-white developers over their practices.
    Those who refuse to learn from History, will repeat History as they wonder "What the F*ck happened?"

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Ugh, feel so damn homesick today and rereading Essex County only amplified those feelings. Damn you Lemire!
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    So lets get a top 10 list of minority/Gender/LGBT friendly titles..that are well written.

And lets support those..no matter the publisher.

Cut back on your other purchases and lets put our money where our mouths are.
    Add Vescell to the list. In fact, I feel that book should carry the monkier of said list's "Ichi Ban."
    Those who refuse to learn from History, will repeat History as they wonder "What the F*ck happened?"