❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Guess what? being Racist really pays off in the long run.

Paula Dean is seeing an increase in purchases of her products,
    Southern Pride! She'll get that wedding she wanted, one way or another! Paula Deen will RISE!

Blah. The appearance of a high profile, native racist is exactly what certain groups have been waiting for, for years. Watch Paula become a rallying point for what happens to nice Caucasian women who dare to go against the 'liberal pro-bama order.' Weeks from now she'll give some stupid speech in a high school auditorium, and people will lose their shit cheering for her.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pressman View Post
    Southern Pride! She'll get that wedding she wanted, one way or another! Paula Deen will RISE!

Blah. The appearance of a high profile, native racist is exactly what certain groups have been waiting for, for years. Watch Paula become a rallying point for what happens to nice Caucasian women who dare to go against the 'liberal pro-bama order.' Weeks from now she'll give some stupid speech in a high school auditorium, and people will lose their shit cheering for her.
    Yeah, basically she'll become "A Cooking Version of Sara Palin", who will be championed by white conservatives (and their ethnic tokens). An association with a bigot, that will only damage the southern/conservative image in the long run, AGAIN. This time, because the US is getting less and less white, it'll further alienate the groups that conservatives desperately NEED; in order to elect conservative officials. Groups that already dislike conservatives, as it is.

Believe it or not. I see nothing wrong with Paula's rise in merchandise sales and popularity, when looking at the bigger picture. Because it just re-brands conservatives/Rethuglicans as backwards, inbred, short-sighted, hillbillies. Who are prone to prematurely celebrating the very things that cause their inevitable downfall.

"Let them get as happy and as drunk as they want now. That hangover in the morning is gonna be a bitch."
    Last edited by Booshman; 06-28-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Okay what is with the John Stewart bashing everywhere?

Folks don't want him in any live action Justice League film
    Folks are calling him a failure as a character
    Folks are hoping he's left out of the rumored Justice League cartoon revival.

Is Hal that big of a god? Or just hate for John because McDuffie used him in a cartoon because no other black heroes were available to use and whose fault is that really?
    The traditionalists tend to be over represented on the DC boards.

They dont want to be reminded that DC did fine for about 10 years without Hal and Barry (closer to 20 in Barry's case).

They REALLY dont want to be reminded that to the the non comic buying masses who like the Justice League Cartoon (which is STILL ON THE AIR) John Stewart is Green Lantern and those kids give zero fucks about Hal.

Objective reality and recent history isn't on thier side so they are kinda peeved.

Hal's GL now because Didio and Johns are Hal boosters no other reason.

The "but you can't do a John/Wally origin in a movie without mentioning Hal/Barry" doesn't fly with me because A) the masses give zero fucks about that and B) origin stories are tweaked all the damn time anyway.

It's not like Batman was trained by Ras Al Ghul in any Batman comic I ever read (And I've read plenty).

PS: and now the thread had turned into "Ha, ha now its your turn to suffer 90's fans".
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 06-28-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    So basically, she'll become "A Cooking Version of Sara Palin", who will be championed by white conservatives (and their ethnic tokens)? An association which will only damage the southern/conservative image in the long run, AGAIN. This time, because the US is getting less and less white, it'll alienate those in the groups conservatives desperately NEED in order to elect their officials. Who already dislike conservatives.

Believe it or not. I see nothing wrong with Paula's rise in merchandise popularity, when looking at the bigger picture. Because it just re-brands conservatives/Rethuglicans as backwards, inbred, short-sighted, hillbillies. Who are prone to prematurely celebrating the very things that cause their inevitable downfall.
    It's starting already! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ock-her-576507

The struggling TV chef will set sail with about 1,000 guests next year, says an executive at a New Jersey-based travel agency.

Where other Paula Deen sponsors are dropping like flies, a small travel agency in New Jersey that handles booking for the "Paula Deen Cruise" continues to stand by the embattled former Food Network personality amid popular demand.
    our editor recommends
    TV Ratings: Paula Deen Interview Drives 'Today' Victory Over 'GMA'
    Martha Stewart on Paula Deen: 'I Feel Sorry' for Her (Video)

Phyllis Loverdi, vice president of Fairfield, N.J.-based Alice Travel, tells The Hollywood Reporter that since Deen's troubles began, fans have been calling the company and signing up for excursions in January 2014 and another one for the summer of that year, possibly in July, that were in the works pre-scandal. "Some want to go on both," said Loverdi, adding: "Somebody said she would never go on a cruise and would go on this one with Paula."

The Paula Deen Cruise is held on Royal Caribbean ships, and Deen remains aboard during each excursion, spending much time with guests, says Loverdi. The last cruise set sail in January with about 500 fans along for the ride. Loverdi said she expects about 1,000 in total for next year. Deen launched her cruise line in 2009.

Earlier this week, a rep for Royal Caribbean Ltd. told THR that the company "has never had a partnership or any formal association with Paula Deen. She has sailed with our brands a couple of times, but as host of group cruises, and each time, the groups were booked through a specific travel agency, not through Royal Caribbean."

Meanwhile, Deen, 66, is watching her self-made empire crumble around her. In the past few days, many of her business partners have cut the culinary star loose after she admitted to having used the N-word (and other revelations) during a deposition in a discrimination lawsuit brought by a former restaurant employee. Last week, the Food Network said it would not renew her contract when it expires at the end of month. Then, on Monday, she lost her endorsement deal with pork company Smithfield, which for many years has sold a ham with Deen’s name and face on it. After that, others followed: Walmart, Home Depot and Caesars Entertainment on Wednesday, hours after Deen's tearful Today show interview; Target and diabetes-drug maker Novo Nordisk on Thursday; hanging in the balance are her deals with QVC, Sears and Kmart.

At the same time, sales of her forthcoming cookbook, Paula Deen’s New Testament: 250 Favorite Recipes, All Lightened Up, have skyrocketed to the top of Amazon's sales chart ahead of its October release. And several of Deen's business partners issued letters of support this week, including Epicurean Butter and Sandridge Food Corporation.

During her sit-down with Matt Lauer, Deen emphatically denied charges of racism, saying: "If there's anyone out there that has never said something that they wish they could take back, if you're out there, please pick up that stone and throw it so hard at my head that it kills me. Please. I want to meet you." She added: "I'm not changing -- there's someone evil out there who saw what I worked for and wanted it."

When asked whether she knew the N-word was offensive to black people, Deen -- seemingly unaware of the historical significance of the word -- responded: "I don't know. I have asked myself that so many times. It's very distressing for me to go into kitchens and hear what these young people are calling each other. ... I think for this problem to be worked on, these young people are gonna have to take control and start showing respect for each other."
    Holy Guacamole, Paula Deen just blamed it all on the young people. Young Black men, show some damn pride! Look at what you've done to poor Paula Deen!
    He isn't smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

They dont want to be reminded that DC did fine for about 10 years without Hal and Barry (closer to 20 in Barry's case).

They REALLY dont want to be reminded that to the the non comic buying masses who like the Justice League Cartoon (which is STILL ON THE AIR) John Stewart is Green Lantern and those kids give zero fucks about Hal.

Objective reality and recent history isn't on thier side so they are kinda peeved.

The "but you can't do a John/Wally origin in a movie without mentioning Hal/Barry" doesn't fly with me because A) the masses give zero fucks about that and B) origin stories are tweaked all the damn time anyway.

It's not like Batman was trained by Ras Al Ghul in any Batman comic I ever read (And I've read plenty).

PS: and now the thread had turned into "Ha, ha now its your turn to suffer 90's fans".
    Comments like this always make me feel guilty because I like Barry Allen more than Wally West. Barry, like myself is an introvert, and that doesn't mean that he's a wallflower, it means he likes to think things through rather than rushing in headlong. His personality is the opposite of his powers, that's pretty cool. Where as wally as a personality similar to Sonic the Hedgehog, I like Sonic the hedgehog, so I would rather read about him than wally. I realize that probably makes me a bad fan who doesn't like change.

As for John and Hal. I compare them to Geddy Lee and Sting. They both do the same thing (Lead Vocals/Bass) but Sting is more well known than Geddy is, and that pisses off a lot of music afficianatos. Like non comic fans knowing who John is over Hal. There is room for Hal and John, just like there's room for Rush and the Police.

It's starting already! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ock-her-576507

The struggling TV chef will set sail with about 1,000 guests next year, says an executive at a New Jersey-based travel agency.

Holy Guacamole, Paula Deen just blamed it all on the young people. Young Black men, show some damn pride! Look at what you've done to poor Paula Deen!
    Wow, I haven't seen someone pass the buck that far since Don Imus.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 06-28-2013 at 08:05 AM.

All these newsoutlets and newshows potraying Paula Deen as the victim, all these celebrities defending her...just glossing over or outright ignoring she wants the antebellum period back. Just 100% off the table, apparently.
    I have this idea for the next X-teme Games Gold Medal Event--Bear Tickling. Its like Bull riding but more X-treme! You are timed on how long you can tickle a bear before he attacks you.

-Excelsior

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    All these newsoutlets and newshows potraying Paula Deen as the victim, all these celebrities defending her...just glossing over or outright ignoring she wants the antebellum period back. Just 100% off the table, apparently.
    The Southern Belle Will Rise Again.

Psychological violence Moose100's Avatar

This is why I stopped posting in that one thread to the letter

Oh, man, I found that thread where the op unilaterally declared Wally and Kyle failures, and I had to get off the board before I got myself banned. I love my brita filter. It clearly keeps the crazy out of my water supply.
    He isn't smiling.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Looks like if any writer is going to bring the change in dynamics the X-Men need, it might be Bendis as I suspected.

From an interview.

Brian Michael Bendis:"Again, a lot of this is going to be dealt with in upcoming issues, including who is a pure mutant and who is a non-pure mutant. There's going to be some racism among the mutants as to who is a pure mutant. There's a lot going on with that very question. I don't want to spoil too much, but it's a very complicated question that we're going to be analyzing from many different angles. It falls right into some of Claremont's best ideas about what mutants mean as an allegory for race in this country and this world. It certainly gives us an opportunity to look at that from a couple different angles".
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Oh, man, I found that thread where the op unilaterally declared Wally and Kyle failures, and I had to get off the board before I got myself banned. I love my brita filter. It clearly keeps the crazy out of my water supply.
    And one of the most vocal (and delusional) Hal supporters actually had the gall to say that he was on the same level as Batman. Which actually caused me to "facepalm", irl.
    Last edited by Booshman; 06-28-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Thing of it is most of those guys seem fairly rational except on that one issue.

That they got pretty much everything they wanted and STILL can't let it go amuses the hell out of me.

I grew up with those classic characters same as those dudes did but at least I can admit that the 90's characters were WAY more diverse and relatable.

I never knew anybody like Hal Jordan but artist/slackers with unaccounably hot girlfrends like originally Kyle was? Or dudes who mean well but just can't seem
    to get it all together like Wally (before Waid got hold of him)? I knew a whole bunch of dudes like that.

Hell, my preferred version of John Stewart was the withdrawn intellectual that didn't relate all that well to other Black folks that we got in Mosaic.

But ex-Marine John Stewart has more mass market appeal, which I understood.

But these guys? Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    Looks like if any writer is going to bring the change in dynamics the X-Men need, it might be Bendis as I suspected.

From an interview.

And now we/SZ r all in 4 Bendis's X-buks....d rerun of x-titles 2 our list.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    Hmmm....the son of Miles Hawkins assuming the role as the new M.A.N.T.I.S. with an upgraded suit/weapons/Chrysalid and Miles as his support? With Miles' wife not approving of her son following her dad's footsteps (since he almost died on M.A.N.T.I.S. last episode)? That could most definitely work.
    Exactimondo, ese!

We/SZ def read dat.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

... I can't...

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com