Page 705 of 2237 FirstFirst ... 20560565569570170270370470570670770870971575580512051705 ... LastLast
Results 10,561 to 10,575 of 33541
  1. #10561
    The Professional marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Where Giants Live.
    Posts
    21,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pressman View Post
    I used to own the Chronicles of the heroic Knight collection. I really enjoyed it. Reminded me of Dragonlance, which I was into at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Never got around to seeing Chronicles of the Heroic Knight.

    I'd heard it wasn't that good. I am a big Lodoss fan and would also like to see them go for a remake.

    The only thing I wouldn't want to see remade is Giant Robo.

    I don't see anybody topping that without going full CGI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pressman View Post
    I missed out on Giant Robo. I had the option of picking up either the first volume of that, or Ghost in the Shell, back when I was fourteen, and I picked GITS. I could probably find it online, but all my super-robo needs were served by Vision of escaflowne, and Big O. And g-gundam too, o'course.

    Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
    was awesome, whoever told you otherwise, hates fun.
    I have both Record of Lodoss War and Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. Lodoss War is better imo. Heroic Knight isn't bad at all but it just didn't have that same feel.

    Anyone have the Ninja Scrolls series? I have the movie which is frakkin' awesome but I don't have the series. How good is it and is it readily available?
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

    CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

  2. #10562
    ❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    <☼V☼>
    Posts
    6,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    I have both Record of Lodoss War and Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. Lodoss War is better imo. Heroic Knight isn't bad at all but it just didn't have that same feel.

    Anyone have the Ninja Scrolls series? I have the movie which is frakkin' awesome but I don't have the series. How good is it and is it readily available?
    Ninja Scroll the series is actually a lot of fun. I borrowed the dvd collection back in 2004 to watch it, and I blazed through it in a lazy weekend. It was one of the first digital anime shows, so the quality of its animation holds up pretty well. It isn't quite as insane as the movie ("Don't think I won't rape a DEAD GIRL" but it's got some pretty psychotic imagery nonetheless. (Vampire Ninja assaults another ninja by sucking her blood through his tongue. Guess where the tongue latches on).

    Watch it subbed, though. The dub is awful.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

  3. #10563
    The Professional marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Where Giants Live.
    Posts
    21,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pressman View Post
    Ninja Scroll the series is actually a lot of fun. I borrowed the dvd collection back in 2004 to watch it, and I blazed through it in a lazy weekend. It was one of the first digital anime shows, so the quality of its animation holds up pretty well. It isn't quite as insane as the movie ("Don't think I won't rape a DEAD GIRL" but it's got some pretty psychotic imagery nonetheless. (Vampire Ninja assaults another ninja by sucking her blood through his tongue. Guess where the tongue latches on).

    Watch it subbed, though. The dub is awful.
    Ugh. Bad dubs and having to read subtitles is not good.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

    CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

  4. #10564
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    My daughter went to see Temptation. After she told me about it I told her that was one of the most depressing movies I ever heard of. Titanic was more cheerful.
    Well this guy wrote an open letter to Mr Tyler and interesting enough he's right on point.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ernest...b_3021098.html

    In your recent disappointment in cinema, Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor, your leading actress (played by Jurnee Smollett-Bell) get infected with HIV and loses her marriage based on her ambition to overall pursue a better career as a marriage counselor. Given that she is unhappy in her current marriage with an aloof, underachieving husband Smollett-Bell's character is less understood given that she instead pursues a man that matches more of her professional, sexual and intellectual desires.

    If anything, the unfortunate moral of the story is: the more you aim high, the less happy you are.

    Such a pathetic motif continued in your other movies, where in Madea's Family Reunion, successful black actors such as Blair Underwood is a controlling and abusive black attorney who loses his fiancée. Gabrielle Union in Daddy's Little Girls is a snobby uptight Ivy League alum turned attorney who "humbles" herself for a mechanic with previous children. Sanaa Lathan in The Family That Preys plays an educated accountant that is a doomed cheater that is scarred by a white man. Robbie Jones in Temptation is a successful black social media tycoon with HIV that is a womanizer who cheats, beats, stalks, controls and infects the many women around him. And the list goes on...

    As for the many falsehoods and fallacies that play out in your movies, the biggest stereotype might just be that with black success come negative atrocities. If it means anything, your films continue to place blacks who aspire to do more be hesitant to achieve such for preconceived consequences will follow.

    How many men such as Edris Elba in Daddy's Little Girls who plays a strong hardworking mechanic that takes care of his three daughters are really out there?

    For most of your films, the women who have fallen from their success in life have two options: either live a more humble life with an underachieving mate or live a lonely one scarred with either disease or unhappiness.

    What disappoints me the most about your films Mr. Perry is that they do not positively reflect the various audiences of blacks that you have aspired to attract.

    As a man who grew up in an urban environment that is now attending college at a fine Ivy League institution (University of Pennsylvania), I would like to let you know that I am not aspiring to become the controlling, manipulative and reckless psychopath that you continue to depict such men of color in your films.

    And the hardworking black women who have earned their degrees that stand beside me in these schools do not have to go so far down to their small towns to find a good man... they are also right here as well. And furthermore, as you find solace in trying to unrealistically characterize the street behavior of such men in your movies, you are doing all of us a disservice.

    Why does this all matter? Because for all my life, I have yet to really see consistent movies with educated black couples in a real relationship. I know they exist because I see them in my own families and those of my friends.

    No one is asking for a cheesy plot, but why is it that we can expect to see such happiness from our white counterparts but not in ourselves?

    Tyler, I have given up on you. You have created a ratchet film formula that has become as one critic called it, "malt liquor for the masses."

    You are not going to change; you have made millions off of the exploitation of your own people. And what is even more sad is that perhaps you are the very evil and illusion that becomes your very own stereotypes of black success. A level of selling out and lack of social responsibility that is as reckless as Robbie Jones in Temptation.

    But perhaps, this open letter is for the next aspiring black filmmaker of my generation who aspires to fix that.
    And the late Roger Ebert said this about Tyler before his death-
    "While Tyler Perry is to be admired for creating an enormously successful cinematic cottage industry catering primarily to an underserved segment of the moviegoing public, the trouble with him is that he is a terrible filmmaker and even though his output is prolific enough to make Steven Soderbergh seem lazy by comparison, he seems to be regressing with each effort. With the exception of "For Colored Girls" (2010), which was not a very good movie but which at least demonstrated a recognizable streak of artistic ambition, his films are hopelessly amateurish affairs in which the only apparent direction for every aspect of the production — screenplay, performances, even establishing shots — seems to be, "Louder, Broader!"

    - Roger Ebert
    Some of us are really going to miss you Mr Ebert!

  5. #10565
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,589

    Default

    http://oi50.tinypic.com/345enao.jpg

    A teaser poster for the Trinity War this July. I guess Cyborg will be the only black guy doing anything.


    And the teaser confirms someone else coming back and someone on the following link pointed this out.

    http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/...#disqus_thread

    If Stephanie and Cass are toxic, but (maybe) a rapist is allowed to be part of a big crossover… just can’t. Hope is just...
    The rapist in question is Dr. Light (the male) who raped a certain wife of a MIA hero.

  6. #10566
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    http://oi50.tinypic.com/345enao.jpg

    A teaser poster for the Trinity War this July. I guess Cyborg will be the only black guy doing anything.


    And the teaser confirms someone else coming back and someone on the following link pointed this out.

    http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/...#disqus_thread



    The rapist in question is Dr. Light (the male) who raped a certain wife of a MIA hero.
    technically Identity Crisis didn't happen in this continuity and we aren't sure if this Doctor Light is Arthur Light. All we know for certain is he is a dude with a mustache.


  7. #10567
    Were You There? Michael P's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Location, Location!
    Posts
    31,733

    Default

    I think that's a new Dr. Light, actually.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

  8. #10568
    Veteran Member JaggedFel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,530

    Default

    So 1 Black Guy, 1 Arab Guy, 1 Hispanic Guy, 1 Hispanic Female, and 2 Asian Females. Yeah that is not all that great diversity wise.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

  9. #10569
    Elder Member Froggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!
    Posts
    53,815

    Default

    anyone here read usagi yojimbo?
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

  10. #10570
    for the lulz 7thangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    8,633

    Default

    i found the Ninja Scrolls series was meh, especially compared to the movie. Basilisk blows it out of the water, imo.

    instead of a live action movie, they should have made 20th Century Boy an anime like they did for Monster, which is one of my top anime series.

    re: Usagi Yojimbo

    i've always wanted to read it, but it joins a long list of things i want to read (and watch and play) when i get the time.

  11. #10571
    Elder Member Froggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!
    Posts
    53,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    i found the Ninja Scrolls series was meh, especially compared to the movie. Basilisk blows it out of the water, imo.

    instead of a live action movie, they should have made 20th Century Boy an anime like they did for Monster, which is one of my top anime series.

    re: Usagi Yojimbo

    i've always wanted to read it, but it joins a long list of things i want to read (and watch and play) when i get the time.
    Monster, another good choice!


    well one thing I like about UY is how self contained each arc is
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

  12. #10572
    ❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    <☼V☼>
    Posts
    6,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    anyone here read usagi yojimbo?
    Is that the one with the rabbit samurai? I remember him from an episode of Ninja turtles.

    Generally, I try to avoid anything about Japanese subject matter written by someone who isn't Japanese. We always look goofy in hindsight. Frank Miller is a guy I admire a lot, but when I read his Elektra stuff and that wolverine mini he did with Claremont, he comes across as a total weaboo. I limit my admiration to manga and anime, and the occasional live action flick like Ichi the killer or Battle royale.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

  13. #10573
    Elder Member Froggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!
    Posts
    53,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pressman View Post
    Is that the one with the rabbit samurai? I remember him from an episode of Ninja turtles.

    Generally, I try to avoid anything about Japanese subject matter written by someone who isn't Japanese. We always look goofy in hindsight. Frank Miller is a guy I admire a lot, but when I read his Elektra stuff and that wolverine mini he did with Claremont, he comes across as a total weaboo. I limit my admiration to manga and anime, and the occasional live action flick like Ichi the killer or Battle royale.
    yeah, and the author (Stan Sakai) is Japanese, lives in california now thogh

    Frank Miller gets love from me for Hard Boiled, sweet stff
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

  14. #10574
    ❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    <☼V☼>
    Posts
    6,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    yeah, and the author (Stan Sakai) is Japanese, lives in california now thogh

    Frank Miller gets love from me for Hard Boiled, sweet stff

    Sin City: Hell and back
    , for me. I like that he finally had a protagonist in the city who wasn't an asshole/psychopath. Dwight's a douchebag, Marvin was simple, and Hartigan was a wuss. Wallace was a destroyer though, loved that guy. He also had a conscience. Quick kills, none of that feeding people to dogs bullshit.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

  15. #10575
    Elder Member Froggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!
    Posts
    53,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pressman View Post

    Sin City: Hell and back
    , for me. I like that he finally had a protagonist in the city who wasn't an asshole/psychopath. Dwight's a douchebag, Marvin was simple, and Hartigan was a wuss. Wallace was a destroyer though, loved that guy. He also had a conscience. Quick kills, none of that feeding people to dogs bullshit.
    Yeah, Wallace was an anomaly (in a good way) for the Sin City series

    is it wrong that i've thought of the show Mad Men as white ppl acting scandalous?
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •