Page 393 of 2236 FirstFirst ... 2933433833893903913923933943953963974034434938931393 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,895 of 33539
    More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

The whole world is still fucked with its treating of people, but, we're slowly improving; I believe so.

While there have been some steps back in certain African countries, there have been some that have taken steps to improve the situation of minorities in their society. One I can think of right now is the albino Africans (I forget the country); they have voted in an albino African into higher positions of their government and have started a program to dispel the myths of being an albino African.

Right now, LGBT rights are a huge and hot topic everywhere and we've seen a huge up-rise against these injustices; it's going to be an interesting topic to see unfold and I hope (I know it will) unfold in the right direction.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Um, actually... you sort of are; by saying the measuring stick of whether a nation is tolerant and accepting of diversity is in how nations treat their black citizens; implies that "if black people are treated well, it shows a tolerant society"; which in itself implies "ergo, often black people are treated worse than other minorities" (hence... intolerance Olympics ). I'm not saying a nation's tolerance is measure by how well (or badly) they treat the LGBT community (it's not); I'm merely putting out "gay rights in Africa" as a valid point that clearly disputes a flawed measuring stick.

The poverty in African nations that are predominantly black isn't linked to specific treatment of black people based on their skin colour; and you know it. Are poor white people in Britain being "not being treated equally because of their white skin". Come on. The poverty in African is NOT what Roland's "measuring stick" is discussing; poverty isn't linked to tolerance, but greed, power and bad management of funds (all of which are a universal flaw in all humans; regardless of gender, skin tone, religion and sexuality)
    yeah it is those africans are starving because of western (white) multinational companies.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

David Goyer Says a Blade Reboot is Likely
    By Fred Topel, January 06, 2013
    http://www.craveonline.com/film/arti...boot-is-likely

interesting not sure it would be good without snipes though and lol people never want to give blade credit for starting the superhero movie rush, they always find one million excuses.

meh, he's just repeating what many others have said, that it would make sense for marvel to either reboot or continue Blade. however, they have never shown any real interest in doing so, despite having him back in their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Not Wesley? He's Blade like Downey is Iron Man. Unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat with an unknown actor who turns out to be as naturally fit for the role as Snipes, it's going to flop.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

It would make sense to relaunch Blade by having him appear in a Marvel movie they do. Have a new actor play him , then spin-off into a new movie with said actor.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    yeah it is those africans are starving because of western (white) multinational companies.
    No. Plenty of Western aid goes to some Africans countries, which then distribute the aid between the elite; and it never gets to the people who need it. The blame for that lies in the leaders of that country (and they aren't not giving the money to the poor out of self-race-hate... it's out of GREED and a desire to hold onto power). You can't honestly think all wrongs in Africa are the direct fault of the white Western world... really...???

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Cool. Launch Blade... then Captain Britain... then bring in a Captain Britain and MI:13 film. If it's British it can be low-budget and no-one would care! (or notice)

interesting not sure it would be good without snipes though and lol people never want to give blade credit for starting the superhero movie rush, they always find one million excuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    Not Wesley? He's Blade like Downey is Iron Man. Unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat with an unknown actor who turns out to be as naturally fit for the role as Snipes, it's going to flop.
    Is it really so hard to imagine another actor as Blade? Snipes did a good job, and looked the part... but in terms of acting... so many actors could deliver "as good" a performance (and many a far better performance). It wasn't exactly Oscar worthy or irrepeatable. I know Jamie Foxx could deliver a better performance (but he is amazing).
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

No. Plenty of Western aid goes to some Africans countries, which then distribute the aid between the elite; and it never gets to the people who need it. The blame for that lies in the leaders of that country (and they aren't not giving the money to the poor out of self-race-hate... it's out of GREED and a desire to hold onto power). You can't honestly think all wrongs in Africa are the direct fault of the white Western world... really...???
    A hell of a lot of it starts there. The corruption of the leaders within the country are symptoms. Puppet kings.

And that applies to the homophobia too. Just switch politics to religion. I've seen first hand the power of a wealthy religious figures, from missionaries to mega-church sponsors. And I say that as negatively as possible.

And you are totally underestimating the amount of self-hate that's involved.
    Last edited by Double 0; 01-07-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

No of course not all the wrongs are but a great deal of them absolutely.

yes its hard to imagine. I hardly agree that Oscar determines what is a great performance.

Also did Shadowman 3 come out last week?

Latest Static Shock fanfilm trailer released 4 days ago

Uh...African nations don't get fair trade from Western and Eastern nations, and haven't for decades, because those two nations (mainly the West being the cause of the problem, yet again) prey on the weaknesses of corrupt leaders by bribing them. All so those nations can come out way ahead by getting stupidly cheap goods from and easy entry into African markets. This is one of the reasons why Ghana is having a ton of trouble with exporting its chops to Euro markets.

Is it really so hard to imagine another actor as Blade? Snipes did a good job, and looked the part... but in terms of acting... so many actors could deliver "as good" a performance (and many a far better performance). It wasn't exactly Oscar worthy or irrepeatable. I know Jamie Foxx could deliver a better performance (but he is amazing).
    Did you just stop reading my post after a certain point? Because I didn't outright say (nor did JaggedFel for that matter) that there is no other actor who could be Blade. So trying to respond to my post as if I did, was just dishonest. Foxx doesn't have the same level of smooth, sleek, razor edge, precision as Snipes. "Yeah", he was good in Django, but pointing and shooting a cumbersome revolver doesn't require as much finesse as swinging a katana in a way that makes you look like a living weapon. Snipes is a natural action star due to his extensive martial arts background, Foxx on the other hand, not so much. He'd look just as awkward as Will Smith in a martial arts flick. He'd only fit a superhero role by masking his lack of skill by slapping on a ton of CG and giving him energy blasts or pistols. Something that can do the work for him.
    Last edited by Booshman; 01-07-2013 at 02:10 PM.

I would agree with above.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    A hell of a lot of it starts there. The corruption of the leaders within the country are symptoms. Puppet kings.
    And that applies to the homophobia too. Just switch politics to religion. I've seen first hand the power of a wealthy religious figures, from missionaries to mega-church sponsors. And I say that as negatively as possible.
    And you are totally underestimating the amount of self-hate that's involved.
    No of course not all the wrongs are but a great deal of them absolutely.
    Uh...African nations don't get fair trade from Western and Eastern nations, and haven't for decades, because those two nations (mainly the West being the cause of the problem, yet again) prey on the weaknesses of corrupt leaders by bribing them. All so those nations can come out way ahead by getting stupidly cheap goods from and easy entry into African markets. This is one of the reasons why Ghana is having a ton of trouble with exporting its chops to Euro markets.
    I think fair too little faith (for want of a better word) is being put in the men (and sometimes women, though not as much) who rule these countries. These are not naive puppets who can't string a thought together; they are intelligent men and women who KNOW how to hold onto power, and it has nothing to do with "appeasing the Western world." America's threat to withhold aid for countries not being radically more progressive in LGBT rights is a prime example of how much "interest" lies in 'cow-towing to the white man.' It is easier and simpler to lay 80%/90%/100% of the blame at the Western world. I also think it's rather naive too. I understand the importance of cause and effect... but how long does the effect get labelled "white Western fault", before it starts being a cause in of itself?

yes its hard to imagine. I hardly agree that Oscar determines what is a great performance.
    An Oscar doesn't mean something is a great performance (obviously), but it's a decent indicator. There is a good amount of merit to the nomination, and then possible award (though I often think those nominated is a better depiction of the great performances that year, than who happens to win)

Did you just stop reading my post after a certain point? Because I didn't outright say (nor did JaggedFel for that matter) that there is no other actor who could be Blade. So trying to respond to my post as if I did, was just dishonest.
    Yeah... it was my master plan to paint you as a pro-Wesley Snipe/anti-anyone else campaigner... mwwwhahahaha! *roll eyes at your over-reaction*

Foxx doesn't have the same level of smooth, sleek, razor edge, precision as Snipes. "Yeah", he was good in Django, but pointing and shooting a cumbersome revolver doesn't require as much finesse as swinging a katana in a way that makes you look like a living weapon. Snipes is a natural action star due to his extensive martial arts background, Foxx on the other hand, not so much. He'd look just as awkward as Will Smith in a martial arts flick. He'd only fit a superhero role by masking his lack of skill by slapping on a ton of CG and giving him energy blasts or pistols. Something that can do the work for him.
    In this day and age, stunt men can cover all the martial arts skills; we no longer have to rely on men who can perform the action roles themselves. That, or Jamie could learn it (like Uma did for Kill Bill). I think he's pretty cool, personally (but I have a major man crush on him, so hey... I'm probably a little biased). But ignore Jamie, so many young black male actors can act better than Snipes. I've never seen Greg act... I'm willing to bet he's better! Snipes filled the role well, with limited need for emotion. In terms of "an impressive performance"... his Blade is merely good. Better than Halle Berry's Storm (then again... what isn't); but not in the "definitive characterisation" as Downey Jr, Jackman... I would say McKellan and Stewart (both PERFECT)... but we've seen even their perfect casting can be just as convincing in others (McAvoy and Fassbender).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-07-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Preview: 'Afro-Uruguay: Forward Together' (On History Of People Of African Descent In Uruguay)
    News
    by Tambay A. Obenson
    January 2, 2013 6:05 PM

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...ent-in-uruguay

After successfully raising over $15,000, the crew headed to Uruguay just last month, to begin production on the film, which they say will take a total of 9 months to complete, and include intensive on-the -round research, development and, of course, actual shooting.
    Background info, courtesy of the production company's website:

Ten percent of the Uruguayan population is of African descent. And yet, Afro Uruguayans have too often been invisible, their lives marginalized, their stories undertold. We embarked on this project to help change that and to bring greater awareness of Afro Latino cultures throughout the Americas. A rich culture and unique musical tradition bring this story of the people, their history and contemporary experience to life. Told by the people themselves, the story unfolds in the modern era, takes us back in time, and explores the interconnections of the black experience throughout the Americas.